+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Laptop wont power on in Technical; I came to the same solution. I have replaced the board already with one from ebay (I did mention in ...
    Thank Post
    I came to the same solution. I have replaced the board already with one from ebay (I did mention in the original post). The problem is how can I test it?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral208 View Post
    I came to the same solution. I have replaced the board already with one from ebay (I did mention in the original post). The problem is how can I test it?
    Sorry, totally missed that didn't I?
    can you get a volt meter on the mainboard end of the power button board to see if the power is getting through the board? (not sure how small the contacts are but I'm guessing this might not be possible.) Trawling the manual they have pin config diagrams for all the external connectors but nothing for the internals which is a shame. I'd think though, unless you've been unlucky with a second failed board the replacement might suggest we've both arrived at the wrong conclusion.

Thank Post
    I have managed to put a multimeter on the motherboard where the powerboard connects and it has a voltage of ~4v. I have tested at the top of the power board and im getting the same result.
    IMAG0272.jpg

The picture shows the mainboard and the power switch board. Where the mainboard joins the power board, there are six connectors. from left to right, If i bridge connectors 1 and 2 the led on the power board lights up so I know power is getting through.

Could I be unlucky enough to have 2 faulty switches? Does the switch on the powerboard just create a circuit between the remaining 4 connectors? If i were to bridge the 4 from the right, would that do the same as pressing the button on the power board?

Thank Post
    You might be the unlucky guy with two faulty switches, but it does sound like power is going through the board. Same laptops do tend to develop the same faults so if it's a weak link a second dead one is possible but hard to be sure.

Re shorting the pins, I'm probably outside my field of expertise at board level (I can swap stuff and sometimes . Following logic if there are 6 connectors, I'd think it's 3 pairs but how you'd tell......

Maybe other Geekers are better placed technically to answer this?

5. Thanks to laptopsandspares from:

Admiral208 (16th November 2011)

Thank Post
    ok, ive just tested the cmos battery and it was dead. volt meter measure 0.01 for a 3v battery. So ive replaced that but still no joy!

Would a dead motherboard battery make a difference to it not starting anyway?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral208 View Post
    ok, ive just tested the cmos battery and it was dead. volt meter measure 0.01 for a 3v battery. So ive replaced that but still no joy!

Would a dead motherboard battery make a difference to it not starting anyway?
    Not normally. The old IBM 600 series used to ask you to reset the time and date on every boot when the CMOS batteries got old and eventually it would get so tired it would restart straight away and then ask for the time and date again! There was some life though when you hit the go switch. Anyone else feel free to correct me on this but even with a dead CMOS you should see some action and not complete darkness.

Thank Post
    again, this is what I thought.

Thank Post
    put the mainboard in the oven for 8-10 minutes on 180. Seen it on youtube

10. Thanks to markcuk from:

Admiral208 (16th November 2011)

Thank Post
    thats actually a great idea. Ive done it in the past with a printer that stopped working here. Ill try it tonight and see what happens.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Could be do to with the nvidia defect.
    The Nvidia Defect Forum

Certain laptops using the Nvidia graphics chips overheated. HPs were especially prone.

I successfully replaced a three-year old laptop for a new one at Staples as it fell under the sale of goods act which covers manufacturing defects for five years.

In a nutshell, because nvidia provided chips which were out of the specified heat tolerances for the boards, they created a product with an inherent defect. The above link explains it in detail and how to go about getting a new laptop.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 16th November 2011 at 06:12 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Not sure if its going to be the same but we have had Lenovos in the past that the video ram gets corrupted either due to :

* Dodgy RAM
    * Being powered off wrong ie dirty shutdown or the likes

I have had to either

1. have it connected only by mains power lead and hold down the power button for 10 to 15 seconds which should make it power on, power off and power back on and then will re synch the screen etc which takes a minute or two for it to power back on and see the screen.

2. disconnect the cmos battery if you can get to the cmos battery easily enough for a good few minutes and then re connect cmos battery and re connect to mains and power back on

3. Replace the RAM as may be faulty RAM.

I would try and keep the battery out of the equation until you try the above assuming it powers on without the battery connected ??

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by markcuk View Post
    put the mainboard in the oven for 8-10 minutes on 180. Seen it on youtube
    SOLVED - This appears to have fixed it. I put the motherboard in the oven last night at 180 for about 10 minutes and then tested it. I powered on. So I rebuilt the laptop fully and then tried to switch it on and it was dead again. So I put it back in the oven, this time I did 10 minutes at 200. Now its working perfectly.

Thanks for everyones help with this.
    J

15. Thanks to Admiral208 from:

markcuk (18th November 2011)

Thank Post
    I have to ask.... Fan oven or Conventional? 190 degrees for a fan oven perhaps?
    T

Thank Post
    it was 200 degrees in a fan oven.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It'll be interesting to see if this is permanent. You've re-flowed a dry joint by baking the board, but overheating components are the main reason why these go wrong. Keep us updated either way!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast