+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, NAS Box for backup in Technical; Hi everyone. We currently use tapes for our backup solution. I would like to move this to a nas box ...
    Thank Post

NAS Box for backup

Hi everyone.

We currently use tapes for our backup solution. I would like to move this to a nas box and then use the tapes to do a Weekly backup which I can put in the schools safe.

Our current daliy backup is getting close to 1TB so it would need to hold at least a weeks worth of data. Can someone please recommend me a good one. We use Backup Exec, dont know if that makes a difference.

Is there anything I should be aware of doing this?

Thanks

James

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A 1TB backup!? Are you amending these tapes or is it a fresh complete backup every night?

Thank Post
    Sorry, I rounded up. Our current backup is about 650GB but i'm allowing for growth.

Its a complete backup every night.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Do you run full backups each night? As Incremental would be alot better! We currently backup about 2.4TB each Friday to a custom built 28TB ubuntu server. Then each week night we backup the incremental stuff for the main file servers (full Sims Database copy though). If you want i can post the spec of the server which i bought (although if you want to run windows you would need to change the raid card as i run software raid.)

Overally it cost me circa 4K

Thank Post
    ok thanks.

I didnt set up the backups, it was my predecessor. I like the idea of incremental backups. Would this work?

Monday - Full backup to NAS drive.
    Tues -> Friday - Incremental backup to NAS.
    End of month - Full backup to tape to store in safe.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral208 View Post
    Is it just user files you'll be backing up, not VM images or anything like that? If so, why not use rsync to copy the files from your main file server every night to your backup server, a different backup folder every day, but with the backup server running some kind of deduplication system (either a deduplicating file system or a script that does file deduplication). That way you could probably hold more than a week's worth of week's worth of backups, depending on just how many files are changed per day.

Thank Post
    ms dpm 2010 is ok as a backup solution. It can only hold 64 backups but that means over 2 months of data all backed up with a gui which a monkey could use.

It uses it's own form of dedupe so 64 backups = 1 full backup + everything which has changed over the 63 days/backup slots. Therefore 2 tb will probably be able to hold your file server for however long you want it to, plus all of your other servers too.

Licences are less than £30 per server which is just slightly cheaper than backup exec.

(Personally I like dhicks suggestion but relying on a system which you aren't 100% on in this situation is a bit risky)

Thank Post
    Could I ask to see the spec please?

Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Do you run full backups each night? As Incremental would be alot better! We currently backup about 2.4TB each Friday to a custom built 28TB ubuntu server. Then each week night we backup the incremental stuff for the main file servers (full Sims Database copy though). If you want i can post the spec of the server which i bought (although if you want to run windows you would need to change the raid card as i run software raid.)

Overally it cost me circa 4K

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral208 View Post
    ok thanks.

I didnt set up the backups, it was my predecessor. I like the idea of incremental backups. Would this work?

End of month - Full backup to tape to store in safe.
    Personally I would go with Full backup friday night (simply because mine tend to last longer then 12 hours or so and go on into the next day). Then monday-thurs incremental backups.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Is it just user files you'll be backing up, not VM images or anything like that? If so, why not use rsync to copy the files from your main file server every night to your backup server, a different backup folder every day, but with the backup server running some kind of deduplication system (either a deduplicating file system or a script that does file deduplication). That way you could probably hold more than a week's worth of week's worth of backups, depending on just how many files are changed per day.
    can you use rsync on windows?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vortex566 View Post
    Could I ask to see the spec please?
    Check this link.

You can ignore the HP microserver as that was used for replication of data.

we put 2 250gb drives in for the OS aswell in raid 1 (software raid) and then 16 x 2tb drives for the data which once formatted gives us 28/30tb i can't remember exactly.

Its a beast!

12. Thanks to glennda from:

cpjitservices (15th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Best way to go!!!!!

Check this link.

You can ignore the HP microserver as that was used for replication of data.

we put 2 250gb drives in for the OS aswell in raid 1 (software raid) and then 16 x 2tb drives for the data which once formatted gives us 28/30tb i can't remember exactly.

Its a beast!

Thank Post
    can you use rsync on windows?
    Yes. I understand (although I've never used it) that some edition(s) of Windows Server have a block-level deduplicating file system (Single Instance Storage?). It should simply be a case of paying for the right edition of Windows Server (and possibly CALs) and rsyncing files to a different backup folder each night, the server should take care of the rest. You'd just need a script to delete older backups when disk space hit a certain threshold value.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Yes. I understand (although I've never used it) that some edition(s) of Windows Server have a block-level deduplicating file system (Single Instance Storage?). It should simply be a case of paying for the right edition of Windows Server (and possibly CALs) and rsyncing files to a different backup folder each night, the server should take care of the rest. You'd just need a script to delete older backups when disk space hit a certain threshold value.
    Take a look at backupPC David, It does block level backups like you mention and is very clever in the way it stores the data. Yes it doesn't do full os backups but if a server completely dies a reinstall of windows (soon to be linux) is fairly straight forward.

Thank Post
    Take a look at backupPC David, It does block level backups like you mention and is very clever in the way it stores the data.
    I think for block-level deduplication I'd prefer to have a file system that I could use to format a block device with and then mount as a SMB share. That way restoring user's files consists of simply pointing them at a read-only copy of their files on the backup server. File-level deduplication should work equally well, too.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast