+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Atapi errors & freezes on laptop - but works ok in safe mode? in Technical; My work laptop has been playing up big time the last few weeks. What happens is, Windows starts up normally, ...

Thank Post

Atapi errors & freezes on laptop - but works ok in safe mode?

My work laptop has been playing up big time the last few weeks. What happens is, Windows starts up normally, everything works for a few minutes, and then you'll open something and that program will hang, followed by everything else, eventually it needs to be forcefully powered off.

On bootup again, checking the event log there will be quite a few atapi errors - "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0"

Normally when I see anything like that, coupled with freezes, I know it is probably the hard disk dying. However in this case, I can use the laptop in safe mode with no problems - indeed I have had it on for about 4 hours today and its fine, it only ever crashes when booted up normally.

I've updated and reinstalled SATA controller drivers, chipset drivers, everything I can think of. There is quite a lot of information about this error online, but mostly the solution seems to be a dodgy SATA cable, or 2 devices on the same port. In this case, being a laptop, it isnt (ive taken the hard disk out to check it though)

The fact it NEVER crashes in safe mode points to a driver to me rather than a failing disk? Reinstalling Windows will be my next option but I'd like to avoid it if possible!

Its a Toshiba Satellite Pro S500 with Windows 7 Enterprise SP1. Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd say failing disk.... find out the disk manufacturer and download the diagnostic tool to suit, or use something like Hirens Boot CD and use the appropriate software package there. It may work in safe mode because it doesn't load half the drivers, won't use SATA fully and therefore won't stress it as much.
    Could just be bad sectors - a full scan/repair with that software may also sort that but depending on how many there is, may be an indication on how soon you may wish to replace the drive. Obviously now though, the further away the better

Thank Post
    I'll do a full scan and see what it says.
    Yeah it is pretty much the worst time for a hard disk failure! It is in warranty but a) I'm assuming hard disks arnt covered with laptops and b) even if they are I'd probably be waiting a long time for a replacement

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread