+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Hardware Thread, SSD - Question in Technical; I wouldn't touch anything other than Intel for SSDs. They use larger memory chips which are less prone to failure ...
    zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't touch anything other than Intel for SSDs.

They use larger memory chips which are less prone to failure even if it does cost more and sacrifice some top end speed.

Thank Post
    for what its worth
    std 110gb hdd boot time load firefox and get google from cold 2m45s
    crucial m4 128gb sdd boot time load firefox and get google from cold 50s and quieter even with a 500gb 2nd drive in laptop

Thank Post
    I fine OCZ fine too, been using them for a couple of years without problems.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gavins38 View Post
    We did a test to see if buying SSD's would pay off for the school. Our test machine was a Pentium D with 256MB RAM. It was ridiculously quick and booted Windows XP in a few seconds. Applications opening instantly and we had 100 explorer windows, 80 internet explorer windows and 50 word windows open, and still it showed no lag at all. Okay, it was overkill but we wanted to see how far we could push it. We probably could have gone further!
    We have a lot of older kit and are still stuck on XP but I had discounted ssd's until we move to W7 because of the trim thing. Have you actually deployed ssd's in xp machines or was this just a short test as it might be another option for us to consider?

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ToyHeartsFan View Post
    We have a lot of older kit and are still stuck on XP but I had discounted ssd's until we move to W7 because of the trim thing. Have you actually deployed ssd's in xp machines or was this just a short test as it might be another option for us to consider?
    Trim is a load of marketing rubbish. We've been running ssd's on XP for a year and a half no problems. I expect they will run for another 20 years without any problems.

Please remember that the transfer "speed" headline figures that are quoted are no use at all in daily workstation use. Maybe it would be important on a media machine that is copying 4gb videos everyday but not a normal workstation client. Its the access time which is important and that stays the same, trim or no trim.

I have had a samsung 20gb ssd in my htpc for 3 years now and its still going as good as any of my latest intel ssd's. I use it daily.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123