+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, SSD - Question in Technical; Well .... this has definitely made my mind up I will be buying one in the very near future, once ...
    Thank Post
    Well .... this has definitely made my mind up I will be buying one in the very near future, once I am conformable that I will also have enough money to last me until the end of the month, as I am on an apprenticeship wage atm.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 2,183 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomgrindle View Post
    Especially as its only £5.00 difference in price.
    The 64GB Crucial M4 is only £20 more and even better still.

Thank Post
    We did a test to see if buying SSD's would pay off for the school. Our test machine was a Pentium D with 256MB RAM. It was ridiculously quick and booted Windows XP in a few seconds. Applications opening instantly and we had 100 explorer windows, 80 internet explorer windows and 50 word windows open, and still it showed no lag at all. Okay, it was overkill but we wanted to see how far we could push it. We probably could have gone further!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Yeah I was looking at that ... but I am on a tight budget, I know its something that if I'm doing I might as well do it right, hrmm .... we will see. I will have to have a look at the bank balance lol.

But then ..... £66.00 from Ebuyer, with free deliver, might take a bit longer, but if its worth it. [Ohhh £80 with VAT]
    Last edited by tomgrindle; 4th November 2011 at 12:49 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gavins38 View Post
    We did a test to see if buying SSD's would pay off for the school. Our test machine was a Pentium D with 256MB RAM. It was ridiculously quick and booted Windows XP in a few seconds. Applications opening instantly and we had 100 explorer windows, 80 internet explorer windows and 50 word windows open, and still it showed no lag at all. Okay, it was overkill but we wanted to see how far we could push it. We probably could have gone further!
    That does seem very impressive ... I was thinking from a school point of view as well, but was worried that we wouldn't see a difference with older kit .... but then we've got to weigh up the options. OK so we can get a 30GB SSD for roughly the same price as what you would pay for a normal HDD. But .... a HDD will last for much longer than an SSD, what with the amount of read and writes it would do, downloading profiles etc.
    Last edited by tomgrindle; 4th November 2011 at 12:45 PM.

Thank Post
    That does seem very impressive ... I was thinking from a school point of view as well, but was worried that we wouldn't see a difference with older kit .... but then we've got to weigh up the options. OK so we can get a £30 SSD for roughly the same price as what you would pay for a normal HDD. But .... a HDD will last for much longer than an SSD, what with the amount of read and writes it would do, downloading profiles etc.
    Bear in mind the flooding in Thailand at the moment. With prices of HDDs soaring, SSDs are suddenly looking like a good option. It's a tough one to call because SSDs are still relatively new and untested in terms of lifespan.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That does seem very impressive ... I was thinking from a school point of view as well, but was worried that we wouldn't see a difference with older kit .... but then we've got to weigh up the options. OK so we can get a 30GB SSD for roughly the same price as what you would pay for a normal HDD. But .... a HDD will last for much longer than an SSD, what with the amount of read and writes it would do, downloading profiles etc.
    Sorry thats just not true.

I read somewhere that the write level wearing lasts for something like 35 years of constant use in all modern SSDs.

I use an SSD on my webserver which is reading and writing data 24/7 for a year and no problems yet. We also have our sims server with an SSD in it for 2 years now no problems. Its our most intensive I/O server by far.

I also have 150+ ssd's in school now and not had one fail yet.

In my experience using Intel 320 series SSDs are far more reliable than hard disks.

EDIT: Can you tell I like SSDs ?
    Last edited by zag; 4th November 2011 at 01:09 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Sorry thats just not true.

I read somewhere that the write level wearing lasts for something like 35 years of constant use in all modern SSDs.

I use an SSD on my webserver which is reading and writing data 24/7 for a year and no problems yet. We also have our sims server with an SSD in it for 2 years now no problems. Its our most intensive I/O server by far.

I also have 150+ ssd's in school now and not had one fail yet.

In my experience using Intel 320 series SSDs are far more reliable than hard disks.

EDIT: Can you tell I like SSDs ?
    Ahh right, well fair enough. It was quite an ignorant post by me, as its only what I had heard. But if from your experience they have been fail proof then I will certainly be considering it within school

Well i've got the feeling that once i've brought one, and I like it, there is going to be no stopping me.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 2,183 Posts
    Some makes of SSD are better than others in terms of reliability.

www.behardware.com/articles/831-7/components-returns-rates.html

Thank Post
    If you do go for an OCZ, avoid the vertex drives (especially the 60GB one's)... I've had 6 out of 7 die on me within 1-2 weeks of installing, I exchanged all the dead ones for OCZ agility's, and haven't had any problems with them. Still waiting for the 7th vertex to go...

Thank Post
    With the HDD supply issues now is the time for SSD manufacturers to really ramp up their production and get the cost/GB down to aggressively take market share from mechanical drives. I still find SSDs too pricey to make them a commodity purchase in the way I would an HDD... £100 for 80GB is still on the "luxury" side rather than being standard fit.

Would love to see all our desktops here on SSDs as we want the performance over masses of local space but the price difference for a good quality SSD over equivalent hard drive does push the price up at the moment.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom_ View Post
    If you do go for an OCZ, avoid the vertex drives (especially the 60GB one's)... I've had 6 out of 7 die on me within 1-2 weeks of installing, I exchanged all the dead ones for OCZ agility's, and haven't had any problems with them. Still waiting for the 7th vertex to go...
    I concur. We have had something like 30% failure rates on OCZ (all replaced by OCZ I should add)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    got my 128gb one sat at the side of me now going in my laptop when i get home and by the sounds of it my laptop looks a similar spec to the originaters pc

Product Specifications HP Pavilion dv9088ea Notebook PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

just with 4gb now and the 2 110gb hdds are going to be a 128gb boot ssd and a 500gb wd blue

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom_ View Post
    That’s very odd - I've got a OCZ Vertex in both my personal notebook (Vertex 2) and work PC (Vertex 3) never had any problems.

Also have put OCZ Agilitys in some PCs built for various people and again no issues ever.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    That’s very odd - I've got a OCZ Vertex in both my personal notebook (Vertex 2) and work PC (Vertex 3) never had any problems.

Also have put OCZ Agilitys in some PCs built for various people and again no issues ever.
    some of ours are fine too. Try buying 30 of them, presumably from a faulty batch

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast