+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Dell Optiplex 755 Keeps freezing during Video Playback in Technical; We have a number of Dell 755 machines used by the teachers. I have many teachers complaining that when they ...

Thank Post

Dell Optiplex 755 Keeps freezing during Video Playback

We have a number of Dell 755 machines used by the teachers. I have many teachers complaining that when they play video either from CD or the network the computer will sometimes play and sometimes freeze and only thing that you can do is hit the off button to reboot it.

We have upgraded video drivers.
    We have tried different codecs
    We have tried complete XP reinstall
    We have tried different video players (GOM, VLC, WMP)

I am cannot fathom what the problem is.

Any ideas please?

Thank Post
    When did you purchase the 755s? The early models (around circa 2007-??) suffered from a NIC firmware issue which causes intermittent disconnections/reconnections from the network (at layer 1/2). Most applications can cope, so you wouldn't necessarily notice it (Sage crashes though).

This might explain the problem with playing video off the network, and maybe even playing from CD/DVD.

To check if a 755 has this problem, look in the System event log for yellow warnings relating to the NIC (a disconnect then reconnect within a few seconds).

To fix this issue download and apply the latest firmware from Dell's website (e.g. A12, not sure what the current version is though).

The only other thing you also might want to check is what CODEC used for MPG2 playback (e.g. if you're playing DVDs), Windows XP doesn't come with an MPG2 CODEC (licensing issue), so it must have come with 3rd party software.

We've tended use the MPG2 playback CODEC which came with PowerDVD (we paid £2 extra for one PowerDVD CD for each 755 that we orderd).

Thanks,

Bruce.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,090 Times in 838 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Also pop open a bad one and check the capacitors - this is one of many Dell models suffering from cap plague. If any are bulging, it's either time to get solder-happy or time to replace them. If they're under 6 years old and bought directly from a Dell reseller, I'd strongly suggest taking pictures of all of the affected models and shouting at Dell very loudly for replacements.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Also pop open a bad one and check the capacitors - this is one of many Dell models suffering from cap plague. If any are bulging, it's either time to get solder-happy or time to replace them.
    Really useful tip from a fellow Geek whom I cant find at the moment, but great respect for such a simple approach.

Reworking the motherboards can be a nightmare when replacing caps, so simply remove the cans with a pair of long nose and solder the replacements onto the residual legs off the MoBo. Quick, easy and effective. I saved all of my Lenovos using this method.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,090 Times in 838 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not half a bad idea! Will remember that for future reference. Thankfully even in multi layer motherboards capacitors always go all the way through but that will save a lot of bother.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread