+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Hard Drive Prices in Technical; I was told by someone that after January Dell will no longer sell HDDs except for warranties as other supplies ...

Thank Post
    I was told by someone that after January Dell will no longer sell HDDs except for warranties as other supplies have been trying to buy their stock!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,815 Times in 2,077 Posts
    NovaTech has some pretty good deals on 2TB HDDs at the moment...

3. Thanks to Arthur from:

mac_shinobi (15th December 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    I was told by someone that after January Dell will no longer sell HDDs except for warranties as other supplies have been trying to buy their stock!
    That's all very well in theory... when they can ship a 1TB or 2TB SSD for the same price as an HDD... ah they can't yet so there's mass storage out the window. Even the 60-80GB ones need to come right down, or will manufacturers be cynical enough to keep prices high, justifying with the line "well an HDD costs the same price now so what would you prefer?"

If the SSD manufacturers could somehow get the 512GB SSD costs down (make a lot in bulk all the same size and flood the market?) then SSD-based SANs could take off, basically replacing 600GB 15k SAS drives and 7200RPM SATA in one swoop (not sure how pricing for those is at the moment, presumably through the roof?).

Speed isn't a problem and I'd guess you can run a shedload of SSDs for the same energy as a shelf of HDDs (I remember someone saying at desktop level power draw is about the same but at server grade 15k level there must be an energy saving there)

Thank Post
    Does anyone think that the price of the hard drives will remain high as they know its a demand product. If they can get away with keeping the price high then surely they will.

Thank Post
    Possibly or manufacturers will get greedy and try to make up their lost profits and realise they can get away with it so to speak. Ok, yes the suppliers have being importing hard drives from thailand but think about when their stock runs low, the big companies like hp, dell, etc could start buying the hard drives back from the retailers as they know that the stock is cheaper than what they can get it for which vomes from manufacture. I see it as if you want a hard drive then buy now. Ok the cost may be step but it could get a lot worse. You just dont know whats round the corner. Like someone else said, it only seems to be seagate and WD which seem to be affected. It depends how the other companies sew their business plan. Do they keep the price low and know they can sell the drives or do they raise the
    prices to match those of seagate and WD and see now many sales.

Thank Post
    You would have thought storage vendors like HP and EMC wouldn't need to increase prices due to the insane profit margins on their enterprise-class drives.

EMC hikes drive prices, blames Thai flood tragedy
    El Reg has been sent a copy of a letter from EMC to its Velocity channel partners saying disk drive prices will rise 5 to 15 per cent from 1 January, 2012.

It is apparent the price rise is due to drive shortages caused by the Thailand flooding. This has caused retail drive prices to rise and impacted many disk drive OEM deals as well. (Source)
    HP also jacks up disk prices in Thai flood wake
    We thought EMC was the first major enterprise supplier to raise disk drive prices after the Thailand floods. Not so. HP sent out a letter last month saying it was being forced to increase prices as a result of the hard drive shortage caused by the deadly floods in Thailand. (Source)

Thank Post
    just because i'm at a slightly looser end than usual i just put your location into google earth arthur... it would appear that you are out side sainsbury in chipping norton, on the corner of worcester rd... hows the weather ;0)

Thank Post
    It's a bit wet outside.

I wondered how long it would take before someone checked out my location on Google Earth.
    Last edited by Arthur; 23rd December 2011 at 01:34 PM.

JMB

Thank Post
    I tell you what, if you think the prices of HDDs are bad, you ought to try buying blank Blurays from Ebuyer. I'm going to have to speak to the head about this, cos I really don't have this much cash left in my budget...
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. 3 Thanks to JMB:

Jamman960 (16th January 2012), newpersn (16th January 2012), sidewinder (16th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    I tell you what, if you think the prices of HDDs are bad, you ought to try buying blank Blurays from Ebuyer. I'm going to have to speak to the head about this, cos I really don't have this much cash left in my budget...
    I guess they must be the platinum master edition versions to frame and put on the wall once you've burnt your 1000th Windows installation disc

Thank Post
    RB_HardDrive1.jpg

Not been following the thread, but spotted this on CPCs front page this morning.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    RB_HardDrive1.jpg

Not been following the thread, but spotted this on CPCs front page this morning.
    Haha, talk about trying to get maximum profits, they've dropped again now! £135 for 3TB hard drives and <£100 for 2TB ones again They were double that early december.

Thank Post
    Im finding the Drive issue to be only a small part of the problem.
    Some HP Printers are now going into short supply and next consignments are being listed as end of March! Obviously the component shortages are hitting different vendors ways.
    Whilst we might have been put out by it all at least we still have a roof over our heads... think of the poor sods that have to live there!

16. Thanks to m25man from:

OverWorked (17th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Misco have no SATA disks under 160GB, just SSD.

I think 2011 was the end of small consumer hard disks. I doubt they'll be made again - they'll never get them cheaper than SSDs by the time production is back up to speed.

Just my thought.

JMB

Thank Post
    I think it'll take time, but in a few months the scaremongering will be over and smaller "mechanical" HDDs will be prevalent again. I don't think these hiccups will change anything, really, apart from ramping prices up for a while.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast