+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Hard Drive Prices in Technical; Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx Normally panic buying is fuelled by rumour and hype, but in this case I suggest that ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    Normally panic buying is fuelled by rumour and hype, but in this case I suggest that we all panic.
    To add fuel to this fire, I have just had "Force Majure Notices" from Leading manufacturers advising that they will be unable to fulfill orders until well into the 2nd quarter of next year!

Clearly this could escalate and affect warranty components so all of you SAN owners out there start crossing your fingers as it looks like a bumpy ride ahead!
    Last edited by m25man; 1st November 2011 at 10:46 AM.

Thank Post
    Yesterday I managed to buy 16 2tb hard disks for 82 each :-) One of my team is currently removing them from their usb housings!

Steve

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    2011 could be the year of punched card. Recycled, of course.

Thank Post

5. Thanks to andydis from:

ben604 (1st November 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andydis View Post
    Would be good if it could actually be added to a basket Seems it's no longer available but still listed..

Thank Post
    Unfortunately most of the Firesale items still around at the usual places are not going to help much if your iSCSI SAN blows a couple of drives and the Manufacturer hasn't got any to replace them with under warranty!

This Force Majure situation is likely to be used by all and sundry to get themselves out of the doggy do when things start to get a bit dodgy.

One Manufacturer has stopped shipments of all disk based storage devices for at least a week whilst they see what happens but they are not hopeful for the future.

SAN, NAS & DAS devices are going to dry up pretty quickly I think as manufacturers will be wanting to hoard warranty spares to tide them over. If that means storing a few chassis to release the dozen or so HDD's contained therein for spares use then that what they will do.

If you had plans to increase you storage farm this year or build a new VM Cluster nows the time for a rethink as I doubt the budget will have a contingency for the price increases we are likely to have to endure for the next 6 months at least.

Thank Post
    Both from a personal (putting off buying a new laptop drive and my nas server) and work viewpoint (thinking of implementing NAS server for offsite backup) - balls. Probably isn't going to be great for the next few months. Then again, compared to what half of Thailand is putting up with at the minute, a shortage of hard disks seems trivial

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,446 Times in 1,894 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thank *insert deity here* we have a warranty on our DAS array! Just had a 3.5" 1TB SAS drive die on us in it. I'd hate to have to source one to buy, I'd probably drain the school bank account if I had to do that!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Thank *insert deity here* we have a warranty on our DAS array! Just had a 3.5" 1TB SAS drive die on us in it. I'd hate to have to source one to buy, I'd probably drain the school bank account if I had to do that!
    This is what will catch people out, once invoked the "Force Maejure" will effectively render your warranty useless.
    Lost in the small print of the 15 pages of warranty information that none of us ever read will be a clause...
    Basically if the Vendor cant find you a replacement you will be left to fend for yourself until they can replace it. You will have no grounds for complaint or claim for loss or disruption to business.

Now be worried....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,940 Posts
    If anyone needs a 2TB 3.5" HDD, Amazon are currently selling the soon to be discontinued Seagate Barracuda Green for 74.36.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 971 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    If anyone needs a 2TB 3.5" HDD, Amazon are currently selling the soon to be discontinued Seagate Barracuda Green for 74.36.
    Not sure what seagates version of the green drives are like but I know the WD green drives are a big no no as they keep dieing etc

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,680 Times in 2,273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Not sure what seagates version of the green drives are like but I know the WD green drives are a big no no as they keep dieing etc
    Seagates ones are better, still not quick but efficient. I have a 2TB one which has been going nicely for quite a while. WD stands for What Data.

14. Thanks to SYNACK from:

mac_shinobi (3rd November 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Seagates ones are better, still not quick but efficient. I have a 2TB one which has been going nicely for quite a while. WD stands for What Data.
    Ive personally lost more Seagate drives than wd

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,680 Times in 2,273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    Ive personally lost more Seagate drives than wd
    As I have said before in other thread hard drives are all the same in the sence that they are all rubbish and fail, they will all fail and it is often up to what batches you get when and from what supply channel as well as how many of each drives you have as to how many fail. We have about even numbers of WD and Seagate bundled with machines and there is about a ten to one failure ratio between the WDs and the Seagates. Others will have different failure rates obviously but my own experiences with WD have not been favorable.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,940 Posts
    Update from Seagate...

In a filing with the SEC yesterday, Seagate provided an update on their view of the hard drive shortage. Seagate confirmed their 180 million unconstrained demand number for hard drives in the fourth quarter of this year, and estimates the market will be able to deliver 110-120 million units of that demand. Of that Seagate expects to ship 41 - 45 million units, which is the lower middle of their 40-50 million broad estimate provided on their last quarterly call.

The good news is that if Seagate is able to get access to key components that are still not in full supply, they expect to be able to deliver 60 million units in the first quarter of 2012. Things could be back to normal for Seagate by mid-year as they ramp up production, integrate with Samsung and their production catches up to pent up demand that isn't being fulfilled now.

Western Digital has not updated their guidance on the issues associated with the Thailand flooding. (Source)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread