+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 122
Hardware Thread, Hard Drive Prices in Technical; Incredible stuff...
  1. #31
    eejit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    606
    Thank Post
    52
    Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
    Rep Power
    22
    Incredible stuff

  2. #32

    jinnantonnixx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    In the Calamatorium.
    Posts
    1,970
    Thank Post
    113
    Thanked 490 Times in 336 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    283
    Utterly infuriating. This has scuppered my plans for my HP microserver NAS/Media Centre.
    Dammit three times round the carpark.

    Out of principle I'm not paying 3x the price. The current stock was manufactured months ago and bought for peanuts by the wholesalers.

    Take the Samsung F4. Pre-mania price £55 ish. Places like ebuyer probably bought them in at around £20. Now selling for £150. That's the free market, I suppose.

  3. #33
    zag
    zag is offline
    zag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,765
    Thank Post
    898
    Thanked 416 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    87
    People still buy HDD's?

    We are totally ssd in the school now. All new servers and workstations have them.

    Still not had a failure in a year, amazing new technology.

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    467
    Thank Post
    16
    Thanked 86 Times in 78 Posts
    Rep Power
    30
    Has anyone noticed that external hard drives still seem quite cheap? - Ebuyer cheapest 2tb internal is around £150, cheapest external is around £75! - Does anyone know an external desktop drive that uses a standard SATA disk inside? - I need to buy around 20 2tb drives soon, so will strip them out of external cases if necessary!

    Steve

  5. #35

    nephilim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dunstable
    Posts
    11,921
    Thank Post
    1,626
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    429
    Yes they ate standard drives inside :-)

  6. #36

    jinnantonnixx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    In the Calamatorium.
    Posts
    1,970
    Thank Post
    113
    Thanked 490 Times in 336 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    283
    Quote Originally Posted by steveg View Post
    Has anyone noticed that external hard drives still seem quite cheap? - Ebuyer cheapest 2tb internal is around £150, cheapest external is around £75! - Does anyone know an external desktop drive that uses a standard SATA disk inside? - I need to buy around 20 2tb drives soon, so will strip them out of external cases if necessary!

    Steve
    Good point. You'll also have a USB housing for emergencies!

    Without buying and stripping down a drive, how can you tell the model number of the drives? Do they use their 'Happy Shopper' line of drives in externals, or are they equivalent to desktop drives?

  7. #37

    jinnantonnixx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    In the Calamatorium.
    Posts
    1,970
    Thank Post
    113
    Thanked 490 Times in 336 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    283
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    We are totally ssd in the school now. All new servers and workstations have them.

    Still not had a failure in a year, amazing new technology.
    SSD is nice, but what sort of prices are you paying? I had a quick look and the costs are bowel-shattering.

  8. #38


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.403651, -0.515458
    Posts
    8,878
    Thank Post
    226
    Thanked 2,669 Times in 1,968 Posts
    Rep Power
    786
    Quote Originally Posted by steveg View Post
    Has anyone noticed that external hard drives still seem quite cheap?
    High-street shops look like the best place to buy HDDs at the moment.

    Seagate Expansion 3TB External HDD (Inside = Seagate Barracuda XT ST33000651AS)
    Argos: £119.99
    eBuyer: £175.00

  9. #39

    jinnantonnixx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    In the Calamatorium.
    Posts
    1,970
    Thank Post
    113
    Thanked 490 Times in 336 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    283
    Nice find. I'm boycotting ebuyer. That'll teach 'em.

  10. #40
    zag
    zag is offline
    zag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,765
    Thank Post
    898
    Thanked 416 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    SSD is nice, but what sort of prices are you paying? I had a quick look and the costs are bowel-shattering.
    Intel 40gb SSD - £82 (we use these in most desktop workstations around school as our standard image is less than 12gb)
    Intel 120gb SSD - £169 (we use these in all new staff laptops now)
    Intel 300gb SSD - £467 (we use these in all new servers now)

    I dont see those prices as particularly earth shattering. Well worth it for the reliability alone!

  11. #41
    dgsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Merseyside, England
    Posts
    1,104
    Thank Post
    118
    Thanked 90 Times in 78 Posts
    Rep Power
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    People still buy HDD's?

    We are totally ssd in the school now. All new servers and workstations have them.

    Still not had a failure in a year, amazing new technology.
    Good for you - some of us have no money and thus can't afford ANY SSD drives at all...

  12. #42

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,143
    Thank Post
    863
    Thanked 2,695 Times in 2,285 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    772
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    I dont see those prices as particularly earth shattering. Well worth it for the reliability alone!
    What the hell did you do to your HDs that SSDs are that much more reliable?

  13. #43
    zag
    zag is offline
    zag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,765
    Thank Post
    898
    Thanked 416 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    What the hell did you do to your HDs that SSDs are that much more reliable?
    Not sure really, just general use.

    I've got half the school on SSDs now and never had one fail in a year and a half of use.

    Had about 5 HDD's fail over that period. We have around 650 machines but I guess it needs more testing.

  14. #44

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,680
    Thank Post
    516
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    832
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Intel 40gb SSD - £82 (we use these in most desktop workstations around school as our standard image is less than 12gb)
    Intel 120gb SSD - £169 (we use these in all new staff laptops now)
    Intel 300gb SSD - £467 (we use these in all new servers now)

    I dont see those prices as particularly earth shattering. Well worth it for the reliability alone!
    This is the path we'll be going down too when buying new desktops. Laptops, we're currently standardised on Dell E series ones, so we're going with what they come with.

  15. #45

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,143
    Thank Post
    863
    Thanked 2,695 Times in 2,285 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    772
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Not sure really, just general use.

    I've got half the school on SSDs now and never had one fail in a year and a half of use.

    Had about 5 HDD's fail over that period. We have around 650 machines but I guess it needs more testing.
    Our HDs usually last out the machines at around the 6 year mark (for seagate) so reliability is not really a factor for us. We will also be looking at SSDs in newer machines but probably at the earliest next year so that the prices can drop to somewhere near the level you guys are paying or lower before it becomes an option for us. Speed would be the factor and the increase in comparable HD storage may make the large gap in price small enough to jump.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 28th January 2013, 07:25 PM
  2. Any suggestions on fibar hard drive.
    By tosca925 in forum Hardware
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 25th July 2006, 11:30 AM
  3. Prevent hard drive changes
    By adamyoung in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 20th June 2006, 12:32 PM
  4. LNM failed to format hard drives
    By wesleyw in forum Learning Network Manager
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 29th April 2006, 08:26 AM
  5. Formating/Partioning a Hard drive
    By SimpleSi in forum *nix
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 14th November 2005, 02:22 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •