We had a digital signage solution installed for us from a company who we later fell out with due to differences of opinion.
The TV's are still up though as they were purchased so I thought I would have another go at getting them to display. The pc that used to run the display software had motherboard failure but I think there may have been a power spike which took it out.
I have XIBO set up on a server here and a display pc connected to a vga splitter which is in turn connected to 3 vga over ethernet senders. It appears that these are doing nothing as no signal is being picked up at the other end.
Does anyone know of an easy way to test these? I have checked the network cable runs and there is not problem with them but I'm not sure how to check the senders/receivers. I tried taking them out and putting them between a pc and a monitor but I get a no signal response. Does this mean they are duff?
What would you suggest replacing them with?
I would really like to get these going again as they were good while they lasted and it was the easiest way to get messages around the school.
yeah... so, the signal chain goes pc->splitter->vga cable-> vga sender -> ethernet cable->vga reciever-> TV. yes?
so, go pc->splitter vga->cable-> KNOWN WORKING MONITOR to prove the splitter.
then go pc->vga cable-> vga sender and see if anything comes to life on each line.
then remove the vga sender from each line, take a laptop and a short piece of cat5 and go to each tv, plug the laptop into the sender, and the short cat5 into the sender and reciever and see if anything comes to life. try all senders with all recievers.
also try the laptop directly into each TV to prove the TV's come to life with a vga signal.
also be aware that there is a good chance that the senders will only run 1024 x 768 @60hz and will fail to fire up with any other signal. if you can find the manual for them you might get a clue.
Just checking, we had something similar which uses Cat5 as point to point connection and someone in a moment of less that perfectly clear thought tried to pass it through the switch and with it not being an IP device this failed.