+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Linksys router query in Technical; Hi guys, Got one that I think I know the answer, just wanted to double check it. Basically, got a ...

Thank Post

Linksys router query

Hi guys,

Got one that I think I know the answer, just wanted to double check it.

Basically, got a small classroom I need to segreate from the rest of my network. I have a DHCP server running Server 2008 in the classroom and an old Linksys WRT54GC broadband router connected between this network and the rest. The router is there as nothing more than to segregate the network and stop any DHCP requests from going out or coming into this classroom network.
    I have tried configuring the router with both a static IP and an automatically assigned one. Both times I get the same problems.

The problem is that randomally the router will time out. I cannot get onto the internet (which is delivered from the main network) and I cannot ping the router. Although my computer is physically connected via one of the LAN ports on the router and then the router is connected to one of the switchs in the room and when the router times out I can still ping other things on the network. So the switch part of the Linksys seems ok. But the router part of it seems to just randomally time out.

I have installed the latest firmware, tried disabling the firewall on the box itself and set the MTU to manual. But nothing seems to make any difference.

My guess is that the router itself is at fault, but as I don't have anything else to use at the moment I was wondering if anyone else could offer any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The router is likely to be failing under the load, its very common. You could use a linux box with somethig like pfsence or smoothwall on it or even better use VLANs or a seporate switch and a bigger dedicated router.

You could also try using different firmware like open wrt or Tomato which could be way more stable on the existing linksys if it is supported

Thank Post
    I think you could be right about the straining under the load.

The problem is that the network on the other side is very basic. No Server, just the router acting as a DHCP server and nothing more. I cannot setup my server as a DHCP server for the main network as this is a network for us to play around with and break. All I need from the main network is the connection for the internet.
    If I setup a Linux box with Pfsense would that still stop any DHCP requests from coming into or out of my little classroom network?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by phreak View Post
    I think you could be right about the straining under the load.

The problem is that the network on the other side is very basic. No Server, just the router acting as a DHCP server and nothing more. I cannot setup my server as a DHCP server for the main network as this is a network for us to play around with and break. All I need from the main network is the connection for the internet.
    If I setup a Linux box with Pfsense would that still stop any DHCP requests from coming into or out of my little classroom network?
    Yes, it can act as a router/firewall/NAT device

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread