+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Strange Acer Laptop Problem in Technical; Got a bit of a strange one here. I've recently obtained an Acer Aspire 1642WLMi laptop from someone who was ...
    richard

Strange Acer Laptop Problem

Got a bit of a strange one here. I've recently obtained an Acer Aspire 1642WLMi laptop from someone who was about to throw it out as the keyboard and touch pad have a habit of locking up rendering the machine inoperable. Most times a reboot cures the problem but some times you have to reboot it 2 or 3 times. I have tried reinstalling windows as I though that it was a driver issue but i still kept getting the problem. However if I install Linux then everything works as it should. Has anyone ever encounter anything like this before?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Strange Acer Laptop Problem

ACPI is buggy on the machine, no doubt the SP2 power management improvements upset it. Linux ignores the Bios once it's booted and uses it's own ACPI handler (+ any fixes for specifc mobos). Try a Bios update.

richard

Thanks for that Geoff I had thought updating the BIOS but its something I don't like as rule but will give it a go when i get home.

richard

Just an update on this I have tried to update the bios but to no avail. Sometimes the machinme works and sometimes it doesn't. Even under linux now I'm starting to get random freezes

Thank Post

heat problem?

richard

thats what i'm now thinking there is no temp reading in the bios so i'm in the process of reinstalling linux so I can get some readings

Thank Post

It may be the case of checking the vents on back, side and bottom are fluff and dust free. Does it freeze while installing linux?

richard

Quote Originally Posted by bishopsgarthstockton
    It may be the case of checking the vents on back, side and bottom are fluff and dust free. Does it freeze while installing linux?
    It has started too in the last day or so. I just nanaged to get a temp reading and its pushing 49 degrees c at the cpu so it looks like a heat problem though the fan does seem to be working

Thank Post

ooow you could fry an egg on it

If you have any compressed air, give it a good clean out once the laptop has been switched off and cooled down

richard

I was going to do that anyway. One thing I have noticed is that I'm meesgaes stating that Ubuntu cannot access the HAL and that the battery meter is showing no battery.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by richard
    I was going to do that anyway.
    What fry an egg :?:

back to what Geoff said about linux using its own ACPI handler, am i right in thinking it wouldnt be able to see the battery life any how?

richard

In the mpast when I have run linux on a laptop it has seen the battery with no problem

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts

It has started too in the last day or so. I just nanaged to get a temp reading and its pushing 49 degrees c at the cpu so it looks like a heat problem though the fan does seem to be working
    Sounds like maybe the heatsink isnt making contact properly that or thermal paste or something along those lines ?

richard

UPDATE:

I'm not sure but I think the problem is related to the battery. In the past couple of days I have found that if I use the laptop without the battery it works with no problems what so ever but if I plug in the battery it starts to lock up. I have even had XP and Vista running on it with no problems.

Thank Post

i have got the same problem with 3 yes 3 acer's - they all came in at the same time. I havent had chance to look at them properly yet but it is baffling me. Maybe the battery is giving off too much heat?

I will try running mine without the batteries next week and see if that gives me any inspiration

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast