+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, UPS Recommendation in Technical; We are looking to replace all our UPS for our Hosts servers, SANs, Switches etc and were introduced to these: ...
    Thank Post

UPS Recommendation

We are looking to replace all our UPS for our Hosts servers, SANs, Switches etc and were introduced to these:

Eaton 5130 UPS 1250-3000VA | Eaton 5 Series | Eaton 5130

Does anyone have these or tried them before? are the any good?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My experience with their software, all be it on an older and very low end model was not all that good. No idea if it actually did its job propperly as there were not major power issues while I was there.

3. Thanks to SYNACK from:

apeo (12th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Did you use them/it with vmware virtual hosts? Just wondered if you did any tests to see if its possible to shutdown the hosts due to power loss.

Thank Post
    Hi Apeo,

We work with Eaton all the time so i can arrange a conf call with them if you like so you can put your questions to them? Or you could just send me a list of things you want answering and i'll dig around for you

Cheers

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It was before virtulisation had become mainstream on platforms outside larger corporates and so it was only an install on SBS 2003 R2 (horrible software on both accounts - OS and UPS)

Thank Post
    Aren't APC usually there and there abouts when it comes to UPS solutions?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    APC are very good and I'd what I aim for/get in all my sites but it is also rather expencive. Rock solid gear though.

Thank Post
    We usually go for APC too but as SYNACK says its well expensive and from what I can tell Eaton could do the job but with a huge saving. I'd like some practical knowledge of how good they are because its something you really only find out how good it is when you really need it and when you really need it you really dont want it to be rubbish.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Stay well clear of Belkin UPSs as I encountered one of those that passed along a surge much worse than the one it was subjected to cooking a very high quality PSU in the process.

Perhaps others can recommend brands to look for or to avoid as well in the search for a viable substitute.

Thank Post
    I've had good hardware experiences with Eaton, but my preference is liebert for value for money. although you could look at emerson too.

12. Thanks to Oaktech from:

apeo (12th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not sure if people are aware but MGE is APC's "secondary brand", we've have found the kit to be solid but without the price tag you find on APC. Drop us a PM if you want some comparisons.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    Not sure if people are aware but MGE is APC's "secondary brand", we've have found the kit to be solid but without the price tag you find on APC. Drop us a PM if you want some comparisons.
    MGE own APC as Merlin Gerin (Schneider Electric) bought APC 4 years ago but were much more unknown compared to APC in terms of PC UPS's etc (I had been using MGE UPS's for a good time but they were big 3 phase hard wired) some of the newer APC features have come from the MGE range and as you say they are still sold and are much cheaper usually.

On February 14, 2007, Schneider Electric acquired APC and formed the Critical Power & Cooling Services (CPCS) Business Unit, which includes the APC and MGE UPS Systems brands.
    The MGE Kit was certainly good kit before the APC acquisition so I hope it still is, but I have moved onto Borri UPS units and they have been good value, a few niggles on install / support but they are worked out now.

15. Thanks to john from:

apeo (13th October 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information