+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
Hardware Thread, 3 Phase APC UPS. Electricians and commisioning questions. in Technical; Hi I Have a few questions on a UPS system we are about to purchase. We are in the process ...
  1. #1
    ranj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    726
    Thank Post
    97
    Thanked 42 Times in 32 Posts
    Rep Power
    24

    3 Phase APC UPS. Electricians and commisioning questions.

    Hi

    I Have a few questions on a UPS system we are about to purchase.

    We are in the process of purchasing a 3 phase APC SUVTP series UPS which basically is a UPS in a tall rack as well as an extended run enclosure (APC SUVTBXR6B6S) and I have just have a few questions on the commisioning and installation part of the UPS.

    When the UPS arrives it is my understanding that as part of it APC include a startup service included with that.

    A few questions I had were:

    Would the APC engineer connect the battery enclosure to the UPS? or do I need to get this done by electrical contractors?
    Would the input to the UPS normally be at 100amp three phase and neutral?
    Does it need to be lower than this e.g. 80 amps? ESX servers, a few physical servers, switches, firewalls, management appliances and storage devices would be connected to this UPS.

    If anyone is able to advise on any of these questions it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

  2. #2

    Geoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Fylde, Lancs, UK.
    Posts
    11,800
    Thank Post
    110
    Thanked 582 Times in 503 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    224
    IANA Electrician, however I have witnessed these being installed. So taken with a pinch of salt...

    Yes, the busbar and cable install is included in the startup service. The input would depend on how old your wiring is (pre 2006 or not).

    Also, I'd suggest you use floor anchoring if possible.

  3. #3

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    10,707
    Thank Post
    829
    Thanked 2,571 Times in 2,188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    731
    Great way to start a fire if you do not have 16A/32A wireing into the room with the right, high voltage power plugs. Otherwise I have heard of a few fires started in this way.

  4. #4

    Andrew_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    2,847
    Thank Post
    62
    Thanked 351 Times in 271 Posts
    Rep Power
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Great way to start a fire if you do not have 16A/32A wireing into the room with the right, high voltage power plugs. Otherwise I have heard of a few fires started in this way.
    Sorry? How are 16/32A wiring and connectors relating to a 100A 3ph install?

    I'd ask APC for a schedule of the works they intend to do, and discuss this with your electricians. The only way to answer your questions is with the detailed facts about your existing system, electrical wiring, and the UPS. The rack shouldn't be connected via plug and socket, and should be bolted to the floor.

  5. Thanks to Andrew_C from:

    SYNACK (11th October 2011)

  6. #5

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    10,707
    Thank Post
    829
    Thanked 2,571 Times in 2,188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    731
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Sorry? How are 16/32A wiring and connectors relating to a 100A 3ph install?

    I'd ask APC for a schedule of the works they intend to do, and discuss this with your electricians. The only way to answer your questions is with the detailed facts about your existing system, electrical wiring, and the UPS. The rack shouldn't be connected via plug and socket, and should be bolted to the floor.
    Oops, wrong thread, thought this was a different one I read yesterday about PDUs.. My bad.

  7. #6
    Synastra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    9
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    I have the same system but we installed it ourselves. The interesting thing was the type of 3 phase breaker need to protect the UPS.
    Although it's a 3 ph unit, the load can be only on 1 phase to the racks. We also found that if the UPS was in by-pass mode for maintenance, the the UPS only draws power from 1 of the 3 phases so the breaker has to be specified to cope with your total load on 1 of the 3 phases. Ours is a 100A 3 phase MCB but in normal conditions, it only pulls 10 amps per phase. I did take a lot a reading to get right.

  8. #7
    ranj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    726
    Thank Post
    97
    Thanked 42 Times in 32 Posts
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Synastra View Post
    I have the same system but we installed it ourselves. The interesting thing was the type of 3 phase breaker need to protect the UPS.
    Although it's a 3 ph unit, the load can be only on 1 phase to the racks. We also found that if the UPS was in by-pass mode for maintenance, the the UPS only draws power from 1 of the 3 phases so the breaker has to be specified to cope with your total load on 1 of the 3 phases. Ours is a 100A 3 phase MCB but in normal conditions, it only pulls 10 amps per phase. I did take a lot a reading to get right.
    Your telling me!

    When I first heard that we were getting a 3 phase UPS I just thought it just needed to be plugged into a mcb board which was 3 phase. Having done lots of reading and speaking to electrical contractors it's not as simple as that... Lol

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. APC UPS clicking constantly
    By ChrisH in forum Hardware
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10th April 2011, 01:13 PM
  2. APC UPS and PowerChute Problem
    By Andie in forum Hardware
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 20th October 2007, 07:22 PM
  3. APC UPS Help
    By Ste_Harve in forum Hardware
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12th September 2007, 11:26 PM
  4. Rackmount APC UPS suppliers
    By tosca925 in forum Hardware
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 27th April 2007, 08:13 AM
  5. APC UPS Serial cables
    By ChrisH in forum Hardware
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 30th September 2006, 12:47 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •