+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, 3 Phase APC UPS. Electricians and commisioning questions. in Technical; Hi I Have a few questions on a UPS system we are about to purchase. We are in the process ...
    Thank Post

3 Phase APC UPS. Electricians and commisioning questions.

Hi

I Have a few questions on a UPS system we are about to purchase.

We are in the process of purchasing a 3 phase APC SUVTP series UPS which basically is a UPS in a tall rack as well as an extended run enclosure (APC SUVTBXR6B6S) and I have just have a few questions on the commisioning and installation part of the UPS.

When the UPS arrives it is my understanding that as part of it APC include a startup service included with that.

A few questions I had were:

Would the APC engineer connect the battery enclosure to the UPS? or do I need to get this done by electrical contractors?
    Would the input to the UPS normally be at 100amp three phase and neutral?
    Does it need to be lower than this e.g. 80 amps? ESX servers, a few physical servers, switches, firewalls, management appliances and storage devices would be connected to this UPS.

If anyone is able to advise on any of these questions it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    IANA Electrician, however I have witnessed these being installed. So taken with a pinch of salt...

Yes, the busbar and cable install is included in the startup service. The input would depend on how old your wiring is (pre 2006 or not).

Also, I'd suggest you use floor anchoring if possible.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,571 Times in 2,188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great way to start a fire if you do not have 16A/32A wireing into the room with the right, high voltage power plugs. Otherwise I have heard of a few fires started in this way.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Great way to start a fire if you do not have 16A/32A wireing into the room with the right, high voltage power plugs. Otherwise I have heard of a few fires started in this way.
    Sorry? How are 16/32A wiring and connectors relating to a 100A 3ph install?

I'd ask APC for a schedule of the works they intend to do, and discuss this with your electricians. The only way to answer your questions is with the detailed facts about your existing system, electrical wiring, and the UPS. The rack shouldn't be connected via plug and socket, and should be bolted to the floor.

5. Thanks to Andrew_C from:

SYNACK (11th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,571 Times in 2,188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Sorry? How are 16/32A wiring and connectors relating to a 100A 3ph install?

I'd ask APC for a schedule of the works they intend to do, and discuss this with your electricians. The only way to answer your questions is with the detailed facts about your existing system, electrical wiring, and the UPS. The rack shouldn't be connected via plug and socket, and should be bolted to the floor.
    Oops, wrong thread, thought this was a different one I read yesterday about PDUs.. My bad.

Thank Post
    I have the same system but we installed it ourselves. The interesting thing was the type of 3 phase breaker need to protect the UPS.
    Although it's a 3 ph unit, the load can be only on 1 phase to the racks. We also found that if the UPS was in by-pass mode for maintenance, the the UPS only draws power from 1 of the 3 phases so the breaker has to be specified to cope with your total load on 1 of the 3 phases. Ours is a 100A 3 phase MCB but in normal conditions, it only pulls 10 amps per phase. I did take a lot a reading to get right.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Synastra View Post
    I have the same system but we installed it ourselves. The interesting thing was the type of 3 phase breaker need to protect the UPS.
    Although it's a 3 ph unit, the load can be only on 1 phase to the racks. We also found that if the UPS was in by-pass mode for maintenance, the the UPS only draws power from 1 of the 3 phases so the breaker has to be specified to cope with your total load on 1 of the 3 phases. Ours is a 100A 3 phase MCB but in normal conditions, it only pulls 10 amps per phase. I did take a lot a reading to get right.
    Your telling me!

When I first heard that we were getting a 3 phase UPS I just thought it just needed to be plugged into a mcb board which was 3 phase. Having done lots of reading and speaking to electrical contractors it's not as simple as that... Lol

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread