+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Recommend me a netbook? in Technical; I've been asked to price up 5 netbooks. They need to run or be running Win 7 Pro so if ...
    Thank Post

Recommend me a netbook?

I've been asked to price up 5 netbooks. They need to run or be running Win 7 Pro so if I need to do a clean install of Windows I would like the drivers to be easily available.

What do you recommend?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hello Jobos,

I would recommend the Dell Latitude 2120 netbook. It already comes with Windows 7 Pro 32 Bit and we sell lots of them into education. Most take the 6 cell battery option.

Hope it helps.

Chris.

Thank Post
    Dell Latitude 2120
    Maybe I'm wrong but isn't that a 500 "executive road warrior" device

(or do you do a GREAT deal on them )

@OP
    Things change fast - I bought 9 Samsung NB150s before the holidays and they took Win7 Pro fine.

I don't think drivers are the issue - get a few quotes from the suppliers in and then just check on that manufacturers website to make sure they are available (Which AFAICT they all are nowadays )

You should be able to get them in range of 200 to 250 (plus cost of Win Starter to Win7 Pro upgrade)

Just check detail of spec to make sure that they don't do the ASUS trick last year of only having 1 headphone/mic socket - great job boys I hope the 20p hardware saving was worthwhile for you

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Around the 418 ex VAT with 3 Year Warranty delivered from us Si - thanks for asking.

The thing is you will be well over 300 by the time you have done the above and still need to intall it and it will only have the 1 year warranty.

I suppose it depends on the time vs money argument and I know both are tight for most in education currently!

Chris

Thank Post
    I suppose it depends on the time vs money argument and I know both are tight for most in education currently!
    No - money is much much tighter than time

(Well - it is at our end However,when an SMT member "needs" a new laptop as the old one is "too slow" then your time suddenly becomes much more precious and you can save it by buying them a brand new one - of course its usually much quiker to re-image their old one but lets not let the facts get in the way of a good yarn )

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,473 Posts
    I have Samsung NB30s in both of my schools - very good value - I think they are end of life but I am sure that there is a new version

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    I've just ordered a number of Samsung NC110s, look good and a great price on them Got a cracking deal on them with a 2 year warranty and accidental damage which IMHO is a must with kids touching them!

Thank Post
    Do you definately want netbooks? We started buying a lot of netbooks a couple of years ago, because of thier size, and the significant savings over a laptop. Now it seems there isn't anywhere near as much of a price difference - we're currently getting core i3 laptops with a 3 year warranty for 270ex Vat after cashback.

You may well have a specific need for netbooks, but if it was just because they are cheaper then it's definately worth considering laptops again!

Steve

Thank Post
    Thanks everyone for the advice. Personally I wouldn't use a netbook if you gave it me, they are just too small for my liking but the HT requested netbooks because they are small and light weight. The HT in question runs a training school for new teachers and wants 5 new machines to road test before placing a large order next year. I understand these netbooks will be used by trainees who have a PC at home and only need something small to carry around as most of the work will be done on their home machine.

Thank Post
    Quick question:
    How are the netbooks performing with only 1GB of memory and running Win 7 pro? I've got 40 Samsung N130's here which run fine with XP but I'm under the impression Win 7 needs more RAM and looking at the online stores I'm struggling to find any netbooks with more than 1GB. CPLTD recommendation comes with 2GB which is the only one I've found.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jobos View Post
    Quick question:
    How are the netbooks performing with only 1GB of memory and running Win 7 pro? I've got 40 Samsung N130's here which run fine with XP but I'm under the impression Win 7 needs more RAM and looking at the online stores I'm struggling to find any netbooks with more than 1GB. CPLTD recommendation comes with 2GB which is the only one I've found.
    my experience of win7 on 1gb is it works but 2+ is better

Thank Post
    I hear a lot of good things about the samsung & Dell netbooks JoBos, but then I here positive things about CP Ltd too so leaning toward their Dells might be worth considering.

D

Thank Post
    I understand these netbooks will be used by trainees who have a PC at home and only need something small to carry around as most of the work will be done on their home machine.
    Ah

What you need are small laptops - not netbooks

Netbooks are not very good for "grown-ups" using them as work machines - they are great for pupils using them in class for 1 lesson at a time

You want 11/12 or even 13 inch WS models

Si

Thank Post
    I'd really recommend upping the ram to 2Gb if you want to run Windows 7, the other benefit to a netbook vs laptop is battery life, generally netbooks do much better on that front. Replaced a lot of laptops with netbooks in the schools i look after

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts
    The Toshiba NB500's are nice and good value too. There are just too many of them!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast