+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Netgear in Technical; Hello everybody! I just wondered what everyone's thought's were on Netgear? Just done a massive network upgrade for one of ...

Thank Post

Netgear

Hello everybody!

I just wondered what everyone's thought's were on Netgear?

Just done a massive network upgrade for one of my schools where they replaced Cisco with Netgear and not only were they very competitive on price ( much cheaper than HP & Cisco ) but they helped design the Network, had many many chats with the school to see what would work and threw in a few guys to help out with the install FREE!

So my opinion of them has shot up. They've always been a good company but now they're up there with Cisco.

There very good to work with so if any of you are thinking of something similar and want to see what they can offer, just let me know.

Cheers

Luke

2. Thanks to Millgate from:

stevenlong1985 (23rd September 2011)

Thank Post
    I like netgear for personal use but not been a fan of enterprise stuff I will still keep to HP/ Cisco

Thank Post
    That's what a lot of people think. Honestly though, it's worth a look. I deal with them all (HP, Cisco etc etc) everyday and i know people think Netgear aren't as good, which is fine but it's worth having a chat about and considering.

Plus your FD, Bursar or whoever, will be very happy with the money you'll save!
    Last edited by Millgate; 23rd September 2011 at 11:30 AM.

Thank Post
    the switchgear ive used has been ok (one type of switch probably long discontinued i know) annoyed the heck out of me by the only way to prerorm initial config was a serial cable of cose located on the back so a swine to get to once installed (and was installed before i got to it)) and their current wireless stuff is not good im not sure if its the power injecting switch or the waps but they dont seem to let pcs get dhcp leases quickly enough

Thank Post
    use netgear here, always like the netgear blue kit, my only niggle is the web interfaces on the managed switch - they are awful
    the older ones dont appear to work in newer browsers either

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Netgear may be ok in the UK but it is rubbish in the rest of the world with their non-existant supply chains and support.

Comparing their gear to HP or Cisco is like saying that an Uno is just as good as a Bugatti Veyron because they both have four wheels completely disregarding or simply not understanding the underlying technical differences between them.

Sure many schools can get away with Netgear stuff fine as they don't need the featureset but try to do something a bit more complex and your options become much more limited.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 23rd September 2011 at 02:13 PM.

8. Thanks to SYNACK from:

RabbieBurns (24th September 2011)

Thank Post
    Netgear IME have two types of switches.

a) Ones that work perfectly well, are sensibly designed wrt to heat dissipation, airflow and firmware.

b) Ones that work perfectly well for a couple of years and then die to poorly designed heat dissipation*, airflow and/or firmware bugs.

The problem is that the difference between a) and b) is arbitrary and unrelated to price, featureset or expected quality.

*like their range of 24 and 48-port Gigabit switches with no active cooling and not even the heatsinks butted to the upper casework with a thermal pad.

In short, Netgear kit is cheaper, but long-term HP is cheaper in terms of "just works, not having to faff around with it". The only time I need to touch a HP or Cisco is when I want to make a change to it.

Thank Post
    I use Netgear they provide great value for money we can have multiple classes video editing live across the network using adobe premiere pro cs4 without a stutter. You need to be looking at their business class kit. I would compare them to Ford as far as an analogy, they produce good cars for reasonable money, no they are not BMW or Mercedes but you are not paying for the name or the extra refinements that a lot of people just don’t need.
    They are easy to administer compared to Cisco /HP and also long as your topology and VLANings are well thought out, jobs a good un.
    The network here has 800 pcs and has been faultless since I put the Netgear kit in 2 years ago. As a school how can you justify putting in cisco that would cost more than double, I don’t think you can, cisco can be a pain to administrator and often the skill base is not available within a school environment to support it so you have pay external companies to help.
    Question
    If you have a 100k do you spend that all on switches or do you spend 50k on switches and 50k on kit for the classrooms to support teaching and learning? It’s a balance and I find Netgear helps me to find the balance.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ict_support View Post
    The network here has 800 pcs and has been faultless since I put the Netgear kit in 2 years ago. As a school how can you justify putting in cisco that would cost more than double, I don’t think you can, cisco can be a pain to administrator and often the skill base is not available within a school environment to support it so you have pay external companies to help.
    Question
    If you have a 100k do you spend that all on switches or do you spend 50k on switches and 50k on kit for the classrooms to support teaching and learning? It’s a balance and I find Netgear helps me to find the balance.
    Cisco and HP stuff are not that hard to configure, if the school has the skillset in place then having something like that with a better warrenty and better featureset can be a real benifit. There is also the longevity of the higher end stuff.

We have 6 year old Cisco 3750 switches that are still going faultlessly, fast at 1GB/s to the desktop and can support IPv6. I doubt that an equivilent Netgear would be the same. Sure they cost more upfront but they last longer and are supported longer. We mostly go HP now as they have most of the featureset of the Cisco stuff but are cheaper.

There is a place for Netgear in some schools as some of their gear is fine and it is cheaper but in others it is not the best solution as always it depends on the school.

Thank Post
    As far as warranty Netgear give a lifetime warranty on their kit now, I do have a cisco router for my 100M leased line and two hp switches for the SAN but for the remaining network it's net gear. It's about the right price for the right job. . Some of the recent net gear switches / modules support 10g over om1 up to 220 meters, for a snip of the cost of cisco / hp
    As I said before their kit is good value for money that helps me get the balance, for example my lowest spec pc has 2gb of ram most are 4 gb, if I went cisco I would still have some poor pcs connected to my switches , CRT monitors etc etc. Students / staff like to see the investment being made

13. Thanks to ict_support from:

Millgate (24th September 2011)

Thank Post
    Just my 2p worth - when I was going through the motions of replacing my LAN last summer I had special bid pricing from HP Procurve, Linksys (bleurgh!), Cisco and Netgear.

In the end, price-wise, it was pretty close between HP and Netgear - but HP pulled out all the stops and continued to slash their pricing so they came in about £1,500 cheaper than Netgear. It's not a huge amount of money in the grand scheme of things but when you consider the the HP kit has a much better feature set, a nice IOS (no horrid GUIs or web-based administration) and all of my cisco knowledge can pretty much be put to use straight away with HP it was a complete no-brainer.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pantscat View Post
    Just my 2p worth - when I was going through the motions of replacing my LAN last summer I had special bid pricing from HP Procurve, Linksys (bleurgh!), Cisco and Netgear.

In the end, price-wise, it was pretty close between HP and Netgear - but HP pulled out all the stops and continued to slash their pricing so they came in about £1,500 cheaper than Netgear. It's not a huge amount of money in the grand scheme of things but when you consider the the HP kit has a much better feature set, a nice IOS (no horrid GUIs or web-based administration) and all of my cisco knowledge can pretty much be put to use straight away with HP it was a complete no-brainer.
    You realise linksys is cisco

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    Yep. But the IOS is very very different. Have you compared the two?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pantscat View Post
    Yep. But the IOS is very very different. Have you compared the two?
    The only experience i have of Cisco's is lea ones that are poorly configed and not documented

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    No Linksys is owned by Cisco, there is a huge difference. Linksys is consumer grade cack, not matter what claims they make on the label.

Cisco gear runs IOS (the original one that they liscenced the name of to Apple before anyone asks) which is massivly configurable and upgradable in comparison to most other integrated solutions. Linksys usually runs the lowest spec they can get away with system with either custom code (for switches) or busybox (*nix) for routers that is comparitivly about as stable as nitroglycerine in a paint shaker.

19. Thanks to SYNACK from:

mac_shinobi (25th September 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast