+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Hardware cost in Technical; I know a lot of people love Dell and think they are wonderful but I've never felt that their gear ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Hardware cost

I know a lot of people love Dell and think they are wonderful but I've never felt that their gear is really built to the same standard as HP and Sun. No harm getting a quote anyway.
    Meh, just get a 3 year warranty on the box (about 100 quid last time I checked) and forget about it. If it breaks it's Dells problem.

Thank Post

@Geoff: I prefer things not to break in the first place. :P

All very well having a three year warranty but if you're without a server for a day people really start to get annoying!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

But then I don't get to test my redundancy and resiliency provisioning.
    I stopped buying just one server for things when I stopped working in primary schools.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    Meh, just get a 3 year warranty on the box (about 100 quid last time I checked) and forget about it. If it breaks it's Dells problem.
    No - if it breaks It's your problem 8O I'd prefer that not to happen.

You can use any branded server hardware you like in an RM CC3 network. Dell, HP, Intel, whatever. They will charge you an extra comissioning fee to comission non RM servers though so factor that into your costings. What RM are not keen on is random no name untested build it yourself type servers - and I agree with them about that one!

I started off with Dell server on my CC3 network but that server's now failed 4 years on and overall I was not impressed with Dell's support - they seem very "distanced" for want of a beter word and the account manager didnt seem to really be bothered much about speaking to me.

I have gone back to RM servers with 5 year warrantys, fat clients with 3 year warrantys and thin clients with 5 year warrantys for piece of mind and i've negotiated discounts to make offerings comparible with Dell's kit. I've still got a 10 year old RM P233 server that works fine and a couple of RM P100 workstations that have only had a bios battery change 6 years in - amusingly amazing reliability!

If your dealing with RM hardware you have to be proactive in negotiating discounts with your account manager otherwise you will pay through the nose.

Andrew

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Like I said, I'm not amazingly bothered if one of my Dells dies. I have four of them plus a Fujitsu as Citrix Terminal servers. So it just means cramming people onto four servers instead of five.

Thank Post

It does not matter which supplier you buy a server from, they all fail eventually. Building your whole strategy on one brand that for historical reasons has been reliable does not guarantee that the next box you buy will be as reliable. You need a plan to cope with failure, and you have to consider building in redundancy into your configuration.

The problem with schools is the funding seldom goes far enough to afford the luxury of truly fault tolerant networking.

Having DELL servers (or any other mainstream supplier) with a next business day warranty for repair may be enough for some schools, or you can have 4 hour cover if you believe the server is more critical, or you can carry spares onsite, or you can have fault tolerant clustering technology, you pays your money & takes your choice.

In a previous job, I worked on a DR project for a large clearing bank. We implemented a fault tolerant mainframe configuration with automated fail-over to a second site 100 miles away, if I recall correctly it cost around £25m.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12