+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Twin Screens in an Educational Establishment? in Technical; I'm just wondering how many other places give certain staff twin screens on their PCs. Currently many of our administration ...

Thank Post

Twin Screens in an Educational Establishment?

I'm just wondering how many other places give certain staff twin screens on their PCs.

Currently many of our administration staff have this set up with 17 or 19" monitors to enable to them easily work on two different appliations.

I'm told that we're unique in this respect...but that seems unlikely.

Thank Post
    quite a few of our admin team have dual screens. I don't think its that uncommon.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,697 Times in 2,287 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We do, most of our Office staff have dual moniters to support all the apps that they need open at once (Email, MIS, Absences, Word etc.) You can do it all on one moniter but it is much more efficient not having to constantly minimize and swap apps.

Sure you can do most of this with one big moniter but our MIS is sho shocking that it really needs the bounds of a screen to itself to keep it under control, stuff like pop over custom dialogues that always show up at the size of the screen with no minimize possible.

Thank Post
    Same here.. some have two. One or two have three screens.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    http://www.naplestech.com/shopcart/p...=quadstation12

Don't let them see these, or they'll all want one.

6. Thanks to jamesb from:

Oaktech (19th August 2011)

Thank Post
    We have a number of admin people with dual monitors - I couldn't work on just 1 now so I know how good it can be for them

Thank Post
    My main teaching computer suite has a dual monitor set up for the teachers desk - one monitor being a mirror for the IWB. Allows 'off screen' assembling of windows etc that can be dragged onto the second screen and IWB. Most teachers appreciate having their Outlook mailbox open on the other screen so that pupils can't see it. Mind you some can't get the hang of it and run their PowerPoints on the wrong screen and wonder why the kids can't see anything!

Our techs mostly have dual screens as do some admin staff - have done for years. We don't feel unique!

R

Thank Post
    Another one for dual screens...

* Our 3 receptionists have dual 19" screens so that they can more easily run Lync Attendant Console
    * Bursar and Exams Office both have laptops with docking stations and a 17" screen - they find it useful to be able to run Outlook on their laptop screen whilst processing things on the other
    * Naturally, myself and my tech have dual 21" (1600x1200 each) screens because it just makes things easier

When desk space isn't too limited, there is little point in not having dual-screens. I have had some very good deals on nVidia Quadro NVS graphics cards and slightly used monitors so for less than £100 on top of an attractively priced desktop, why not help make somebody's job easier?

Thank Post
    We in IT Support have at least 2 monitors each and the bursar has dual screens, but about a hand full have widescreen monitors and our timetabler is having 2 machines rather than 2 screens so that someone else can check everything is ok.

Thank Post
    No dual monitors here (yet) - all admin staff have 19" displays and all teaching have their laptops with no external display.
    Biggest monitors in the school is the 22" that we have in the IT office.

Thank Post
    All our IT Suites have dual 22" TFT Screens on the Teacher's Computer (1 for IWB Display,and the other for SIMS. AB Tutor Control).

Vast majority of the school have 22" TFT Screens.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,697 Times in 2,287 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Our latest suite PCs have 24" LCDs as we got them for the same cost as the 22" which were something like $10 more than a 19". For $10 a unit it just made sense and it has made a difference to the perceptions. The bigger the screen the more powerful people feel they are (they are now slouches in the speed department anyway). The more powerful people feel they are the more they respect them which has led to less messing about with them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,898 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoatibix View Post
    I'm just wondering how many other places give certain staff twin screens on their PCs.

Currently many of our administration staff have this set up with 17 or 19" monitors to enable to them easily work on two different appliations.

I'm told that we're unique in this respect...but that seems unlikely.
    One of our admin team has twin screens, and I run 3 screens on my desktop.

The admin team member has 2 as she needs to be able to have more than one version of our finance software open at the same time (as we became an academy, and she needs to open the old school copy too).

Overall? I'd say that it is quite rare for people to have 2 screens in a school, but it shouldn't be. the productivity increase possible is significant. However, this is offset by the ability to have pretty huge screens now and have things open side by side without issue (24", 26" screens suit this perfectly).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,697 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Over the years I have worked in a few schools all hd 2 screens in the IT office and the admin office.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,674 Times in 1,971 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    However, this is offset by the ability to have pretty huge screens now and have things open side by side without issue (24", 26" screens suit this perfectly).
    Definitely! A 27" LCD + Aero Snap in Windows 7 (or Divvy / SizeUp / Flexiglass on the Mac) kind of negates the need for two screens now. The other issue with dual screens is the thick bezel in the middle. I find this really distracting.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast