+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Branded or custom build PC's in Technical; We have Dells. Best cases. Support has been very good so far. Had a few ram issues with some of ...

Thank Post

Re: Branded or custom build PC's

We have Dells. Best cases. Support has been very good so far. Had a few ram issues with some of them though (as he walks across the room to phone Dell for another broken RAM...)

Last year I had to change cases on about 25 of our custom built machines as they had been abbused so much.

Thank Post

I'd just like to add my tuppenceworth about Dell...

We've been buying exclusively Dell desktops and laptops here for the last two years. There seems to be this common misconception that their support is awful, but on the number of occasions we've had to call them, they've been excellent (although you need to prepare yourself for the twenty questions they'll play with you before you get an engineer sent out).

Their home support, on the other hand, is (allegedly) atrocious and is probably the reason they have such a bad reputation.

Thank Post

Not keen on Dell myself.... I've never been impressed by their build quality (particularly laptops). I stick to HP - you cannot beat anice metal chasis

I tend to buy my desktop machines second user from ICT Direct though so that I can get higher spec machines for less money. If you know what you're doing you cannot go wrong.

Custom build machines cannot be guaranteed to be identical enough for my liking.

Thank Post

I Love Dell Kit great cases as stated earlier. The support 20 questions thing isnt really an issue. You very quickly learn what they will ask you and and you very quickly learn how to lie to them to get the part you want. Also they seem to have scraped the indian call centers for Education and and Corp customers YAY! If you buy lots of kit from them your account manager will bend over backwards to sort any little issues you have out. Beats Fred in a Shed PC's any day.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I have had nothing but trouble from dell Try not buy if possable also they are not the cheapest and because we dont buy on the net they put the price up. I got a quote on the phone and the the same quote over the net and the net was about £50 - £100 cheaper but we can buy off the net ?????

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_
    Not keen on Dell myself.... I've never been impressed by their build quality (particularly laptops). I stick to HP - you cannot beat anice metal chasis
    The latest Dell Optiplex gx620/745's we've bought all have largely metal chassis's apart from the plastic front panel. Makes then so much ligher than the previous all-plastic models! The real problem for us was that the spec/price meant that HP worked out 20-30% more expensive than Dell which is why we stuck with Dell.
    We used to order PC's from a local supplier but we found they let standards slip when we started putting through larger orders. One year roughly 10% of the PC's we ordered were DOA because of broken/loose components or things not being plugged in correctly. Obviously they'd never even POST'd the machines to check them once they were built so that meant we stopped ordering from them straight away!
    We've found the support to be pretty good and in general most of the Dells we've bought have been pretty reliable. The only major issue we had was PSU's failing in one of our models. We mangaged to get 100 of these swapped out in a mass replacement after stamping our feet and threatening to not buy from them again!
    I reckon that if we'd gone with a smaller company or custom built PC's and tried to organise the same thing we'd have ended up having to buy 100 PSU's replacing them ourselves!

Despite all of their faults I don't think there's another company I'd consider buying from (for work at least).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12