+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, HP Laptop HD in Technical; Hey guys, Got a laptop in this afternoon from a client of mine - the issue is that it wont ...
    Thank Post

HP Laptop HD

Hey guys,

Got a laptop in this afternoon from a client of mine - the issue is that it wont boot into Windows and true to word it didn't it just sat here at a back screen with a blinking cursor, now I did the usual thing and wacked in the vista disc and tried to do a repair with no joy. So I headed for plan B and stuck in an XP disc and went to the Recovery Console - I then ran Chkdsk /r to which it failed and said "One or more unrecoverable errors".

Is the HD well and truly knackered ?? is it time for anew drive ? and will it be wirth replacing the drive on an 08 laptop with a 160 GB drive ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    If you have recovered / backed up all the data then I would run a full format on the drive and run the check disk r on the drive again, also when you first power the laptop on at the post screen ( power on self test ) do you get a diagnostic screen or can you download a diagnostic bootable disc iso to burn to disc to run an extended test on the hard drive ??

If its well and truely knackered I would check the HP Manuals to get an exact spec on the drive as far as height ( 9.5mm vs 12.5mm ), power requirements possibly and I presume its SATA ( Serial ATA ) 2 as in 3gbps not 1.5 or 6gbps

6gbps drive are backwards compatable with 2 but you would be better off getting a SATA 2 drive if it is SATA 2. That is of course assuming its not an IDE one

A quick call to HP should be able to confirm / clarify if there are any requirements or things you should look out for before purchasing a replacement drive.

May need to if you are going to install xp is use nLite to intergrate the chipset drivers ( SATA ) etc with the xp disc

3. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

cpjitservices (16th July 2011)

Thank Post
    At the moment I have HDD Regenerator working see if it fixes anything it's been going overnight and has done 0.03% I have actual HP XP and Vista discs so will see what happens

Thank Post
    You tried totally resetting the bios first? My general answer would be if it was a dead HDD it'd boot further, then complain of no bootable media. Not just sit at start flashing :P

Or guess a boot sector virus But then that should be fixable with recovery stuff (bootrec.exe /fixmbr)

Steve
    Last edited by Steve21; 16th July 2011 at 11:13 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nackered HDD's can cause all sorts of trouble - if a bad sector is in a certain place, it can indeed sit there flashing and do no further because perhaps that bad block contains all or part of explorer.exe. In another place, it might stop internet exploder from working. In another, it may do no harm at all and go unnoticed forever.
    Hirens Boot Disc (and other similar) are godsends for this sort of thing. Find out what make drive it is, boot the CD and fire up the relevant manufacturers diagnostic tools. If it shows a SMART failure then just bin and replace it - they're not expensive. We've just bought some 160gb refurb WD drives from ebuyer for just over a tenner each. If it's just a couple of bad blocks, regen or MHDD and job will probably be a good one. If it's more than a couple, as above just ditch and replace.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 2,183 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    That is of course assuming it's not an IDE one
    Technically SATA drives are IDE too. The clue is in the name.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread