+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, RAID5 repair in Technical; Right, I'm in something of a pickle and could do with some help and advice. I have a 4-disk RAID5 ...
    Thank Post

RAID5 repair

Right, I'm in something of a pickle and could do with some help and advice.

I have a 4-disk RAID5 at home, which has had some failures... First, a disk failed through too many SMART errors (reallocated sectors), and as far as I can tell HADN'T finished rebuilding before a second drive failed with I/O errors.

A week ago, my array looked like this
    Code:
    Disk 1 - 1500GB Good
    Disk 2 - 1500GB Good
    Disk 3 - 1500GB Good
    Disk 4 - 1500GB FAILED - SMART errors
    After Disk 4 failed, I replaced it with a larger drive and left it to rebuild...
    Code:
    Disk 1 - 1500GB Good
    Disk 2 - 1500GB Good
    Disk 3 - 1500GB Good
    Disk 4 - 2000GB CRITICAL - Rebuilding
    What I think what happened next was the I/O failure of Disk 3:
    Code:
    Disk 1 - 1500GB Good
    Disk 2 - 1500GB Good
    Disk 3 - 1500GB FAILED - I/O errors
    Disk 4 - 2000GB CRITICAL - Rebuilding
    Now I know at this point, anyone who understands RAID5 would say I'm up a small stream without an appropriate implement... ...And they'd probably be right, but I'm desperate to fix this!

What I've done is tried to clone the original Disk 4 (SMART errors) to a second new 2000GB drive using dd in Ubuntu. It seemed to work, although it went astonishingly fast (around 110MB/s average). Sadly, I'm not sure I did it right, as the RAID controller does not accept this new disk 4 as part of my RAID. Should this even work?

Does anyone have any suggestions what else I could try? I'm sure there must be something I can do to rebuild my array, as I still have two original disks, and a third that simply has SMART errors (it's still readable, just not reliable).

Cheers,
    Dayzd

(And please let's not have too many people saying 'You're screwed'. I know I am. This whole thing stings enough as it is...)

Thank Post
    mine rebuilds itself you dont have to do anything check what make and model of raid controller you have and check the manual.
    anyways you will lose 500GB of that last disk you added as raid will see only size of the smallest disk in array

Thank Post
    If you've lost 2 disks then it's game over for your array I am afraid.

Only other option maybe to pay for some expensive data recovery company to have a look.

Butuz

Thank Post
    Could you turn off SMART on that unit, with the old disk in, just until the RAID has rebuilt? Obviously not a great idea, but may allow the rebuild to go ahead at least.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p3dr0 View Post
    mine rebuilds itself you dont have to do anything check what make and model of raid controller you have and check the manual.
    anyways you will lose 500GB of that last disk you added as raid will see only size of the smallest disk in array
    I know I won't gain the full 2TB of space -I understand how RAID5 works, thanks, and that wasn't part of the question. Also, thanks for the 'read the manual' answer. You think I ask strangers to spare their time reading about my problems if I've not even bothered to read the manual?

Quote Originally Posted by Butuz View Post
    If you've lost 2 disks then it's game over for your array I am afraid.
    Thanks.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    Could you turn off SMART on that unit, with the old disk in, just until the RAID has rebuilt? Obviously not a great idea, but may allow the rebuild to go ahead at least.
    I've thought about that, but the RAID card I have (Highpoint RocketRaid 1740) doesn't offer the facility to turn off SMART checks. And to be honest, I'm not surprised by that! ;-)

Thank Post
    You think I ask strangers to spare their time reading about my problems if I've not even bothered to read the manual?

yeah most of people do that..

and as far as i can see only one disk failed other is rebuilding so you still might have a chance to get it back to work..

Thank Post
    Sorry for being snappy. The prospect of losing 2.5TB (the raid wasn't full...) of data which constitutes pretty much everything I have made/done/downloaded etc for the last 10 years is making me cranky. (Also not having the best day in the workplace so far, either!)

The fourth disk requires all of the first three to rebuild fully, but only two are online, hence my problem.

Thank Post
    I think your copy of disk 4 needs to be on a disk with the same geometry as the original for the RAID controller to accept it. The only option I can think of is to get another 1.5TB disk (same as original) and use ddrescue to clone the original disk 4 onto it. Pull disk 3 and try to force the array online using disks 1 and 2 and the cloned disk 4 only. There may be some data loss, but it's better than nothing. If this works you can use the new 2TB disk to rebuild the RAID5.

ETA: I'm assuming you haven't been using the array since it first failed...
    Last edited by keithu; 14th July 2011 at 10:32 AM.

Thank Post
    i know that feeling very well :/ but i still hope it will rebuild itself and you will get at least some of your data back!
    how about replacing failed one with the one with smart errors and then let it rebuild?

gah sorry i thought that disk will work and just spit errors out but it looks like it wont work...
    Last edited by p3dr0; 14th July 2011 at 10:44 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by keithu View Post
    I think your copy of disk 4 needs to be on a disk with the same geometry as the original for the RAID controller to accept it. The only option I can think of is to get another 1.5TB disk (same as original) and use ddrescue to clone the original disk 4 onto it. Pull disk 3 and try to force the array online using disks 1 and 2 and the cloned disk 4 only. There may be some data loss, but it's better than nothing. If this works you can use the new 2TB disk to rebuild the RAID5.
    That's my next plan of action. I've been looking into finding another drive of the same type to try that with, but they're not the newest model and are a little harder to find, it seems!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by keithu View Post
    I think your copy of disk 4 needs to be on a disk with the same geometry as the original for the RAID controller to accept it. The only option I can think of is to get another 1.5TB disk (same as original) and use ddrescue to clone the original disk 4 onto it.
    Sadly this did not work. Majorly bummed out now... (Not to mention heavily out of pocket!)

The RAID controller accepted the new Disk 4 as the fourth disk of a RAID5 array. But a new, separate RAID5.
    The controller software set it out like this:

Code:
    RAID ARRAY 1   <-- Original, broken array
    Disk 1 - 1500GB Good
    Disk 2 - 1500GB Good
    Disk 3 - Offline
    Disk 4 - Offline

RAID ARRAY 2   <-- New 'phantom' array
    Disk 1 - Offline
    Disk 2 - Offline
    Disk 3 - Offline
    Disk 4 - 1500GB Good <-- newly cloned disk
    Going to look into software raid recovery utilities over the weekend, as the controller/software does not support telling it 'Actually, that disk belongs HERE'...

"Help me, Obi-RAID Recovery-Kenobi". You're my only hope!"
    Last edited by dayzd; 15th July 2011 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Additional detail

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dayzd View Post
    Going to look into software raid recovery utilities over the weekend, as the controller/software does not support telling it 'Actually, that disk belongs HERE'...
    I've had this in my sites for a while but, touchwood, never had the need to use it. Maybe worth a look
    ReclaiMe Free RAID Recovery software
    Would be interested to know if it works

Thank Post
    Cheers. I'll be trying anything I can get my hands on, so I'll let you know if I have any luck!

Thank Post
    Run spinrite not using the raid controller on either disk 3 or 4.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast