+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Photocopier solution and PIN numbers in Technical; Sorry to post this random question here but i am trying to solve a problem in school using the minimum ...
    Thank Post

Photocopier solution and PIN numbers

Sorry to post this random question here but i am trying to solve a problem in school using the minimum of extra hardware/software.

we used to have 3 photocopiers with login pins for each year group/dept, but everyone got to know the admin one, and thus got colour/free copying.
    A solution to the above problem would be to change the pin numbers frequently and re-issue them, but admin couldn't be bothered learning a new one so their solution was :-

New ricoh photocopiers (4) controlled by a workstation running xp and equitrac control software from ricoh costing several thousand pounds ( incedentally i dont believe this cost will ever be recovered by the savings made from denying copying) The logon is authenticated with mifare id cards also used for door entry system. This system meant nobody has a PIn to remember, but is open to people lending one another their cards etc, just the same as divulging a PIN number would be in the old system.

so finally- my question is, the above ricoh photocopiers have a 'web front end' that you can read off the total number of copies made etc, but does anyone know of a make of photocopier where the 'web front end' would allow you to set PIN numbers for users, and show useage for those pins, thus removing the need for the control software/server?

i am hoping that i would be able to change the pin numbers of either everyone , or just single dept codes by just loggin into the web page of the photocopier.

printing to photocopiers ( and network printers) is currently controlled by print manager plus.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Look at papercut-mf PaperCut MF - Software for Print, Copy, Fax and Scan control and tracking on MFDs

does exactly the same thing but cheaper!

3. Thanks to glennda from:

farmerste (1st July 2011)

Thank Post

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Look at papercut-mf PaperCut MF - Software for Print, Copy, Fax and Scan control and tracking on MFDs

does exactly the same thing but cheaper!
    i have seen this software, and i must admit it is my best alternative for replacing our current PMP software used for printing.

using PMP we have only saved approx £100 per year, so at the moment the software has cost more than it has saved

i was hoping to remove the need for a complex, and expensive system to control photocopying.

thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,502 Times in 1,942 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I pay about £250 a year for PaperCut MF for 2 copiers, and 1000 users.

The Ricoh machines do have basic account tracking, but as I say, its basic. We didn't bother using it and stumped up the cash for PaperCut MF instead.

If you're not saving money via it, then that usually means your limits for people are too liberal and you need to restrict things more...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerste View Post
    i have seen this software, and i must admit it is my best alternative for replacing our current PMP software used for printing.

using PMP we have only saved approx £100 per year, so at the moment the software has cost more than it has saved

i was hoping to remove the need for a complex, and expensive system to control photocopying.

thanks
    Only £100 our version of Papercut NG has paid for itself about 10 times over (at £500) Although we used to spend around 15k on printing!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Only £100 our version of Papercut NG has paid for itself about 10 times over (at £500) Although we used to spend around 15k on printing!
    NG wouldn't integrate with the copiers.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    NG wouldn't integrate with the copiers.
    I know but it was the point of saving money using the system. MF isn't that more expensive for the software although its a cost per machine for the embedded client. There are some leasing companies which build in the license cost for Papercut to the agreements (what i am looking to do from next april)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,472 Posts
    The issue though is not that people were lending others their pins though is it? rather that people would learn what other codes they could use either by trial and error, shoulder surfing or whatever.

What department is going to say sure put your copying on my departments here's our pin or use my card.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerste View Post
    i am hoping that i would be able to change the pin numbers of either everyone , or just single dept codes by just loggin into the web page of the photocopier.
    Toshiba allows you to do that.

You login and can view usage overview, change department codes, restrict maximum print amount, colour/mono only etc.

11. Thanks to Edu-IT from:

farmerste (4th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I pay about £250 a year for PaperCut MF for 2 copiers, and 1000 users.

The Ricoh machines do have basic account tracking, but as I say, its basic. We didn't bother using it and stumped up the cash for PaperCut MF instead.

If you're not saving money via it, then that usually means your limits for people are too liberal and you need to restrict things more...
    Do you own the copiers? I've always wondered if you could use PaperCut MF with leased ones.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Do you own the copiers? I've always wondered if you could use PaperCut MF with leased ones.
    They're leased from Annodata, who also provide us with our PaperCut MF license.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 984 Posts
    See attached the document to logon to the Ricoh WEB GUI to program in user codes ( per user ) and then use smart device monitor for admin to check usage on a per user basis for copies, printing etc

Obviously depending on what you restrict on the copier in the first place will determine what you can see usage wise on smart device monitor for admin ie if I only restrict copying on the copier then you will only see usage for the copier, not printing or otherwise

download for smart device monitor for admins

http://www.ricoh-support.com/enduser....html%23admin+

If the above link does not work then go to

Download | Ricoh Support Europe

scroll to the very bottom of the page

Under network mfp / printer management section there is a link for smart device monitor for admins, click this, then click the external link to take you to the download page

15. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

farmerste (4th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 984 Posts
    Won't let me edit the above post but if you get stuck drop me a pm or post back

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Has not been an issue so far - but we suggest you get permission from the supplier. Its the same for any 3rd party apps.

Thank Post

thanks

thankyou for the help, most useful.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast