+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Paper Getting Stuck Around HP 3500 / 3550 Fuser When Printing Full Colour in Technical; Need some help to see if anyone has had this same issue. Have a number of HP 3500 / 3500s ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 731 Posts

Paper Getting Stuck Around HP 3500 / 3550 Fuser When Printing Full Colour

Need some help to see if anyone has had this same issue. Have a number of HP 3500 / 3500s in the same school and they are all having the same issue where the paper will roll around the fuser unit and the stick to itself. This then renders the fuser unit usless. Printers are around the 5 -7 year mark and we have never had this issue until the school decided to use compats over genuine HP

Now it only seems to happen when printing full page colour documents, A4 photos for example. Now my gut feeling is it is down to the cheap toner and that the school should go back to HP originals, but I done't want to suggest that if that isn't going to cure the problem. The other option could be the paper, but this hasn't changed.

Look forward to some replies.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,692 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Has the paper been stored correctly? i.e not overly damp conditions.

Used to have to take an HP 2600 fuser unit apart regularly for one user allthough they've now left and the problem never re-occured.

Ben

3. Thanks to plexer from:

SYSMAN_MK (27th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Yes stored in the same room as the printer.

It only seems to happen on full page prints. One example would be drawing done in MS Pait with a full colour background. I'm guessing that if the image goes outside the normal margins the cheap toner is sticking on the fuser before the paper can exit.

Thank Post
    We had this and found it was down to the compatible toner, we tried several different compatibles in the end we went back to genuine toner and the problem didnt return.

6. Thanks to JJonas from:

Thank Post
    100 percent compatible toners
    i found if you print alot of cyan it just sticks to the fuser
    replace the fuser if it has crack in the drum and ditch the compats on the 3550 they are more trouble than they are worth.
    i have tried 6 different companys compats on the 3550 and they were CR*P they do not last as long as the HP ones

the problem will go away if you use genuine hp

we have had these printers for 6 years now and i know them inside out they are great printers but a bit costly to run

we pay about 79 pounds for each genuine toner but they last quite a while even in the heavy printing rooms
    50 quid for a fuser(if you get one you will laugh at the size of the box)
    Last edited by round2it; 27th June 2011 at 03:35 PM.

8. Thanks to round2it from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    I had this on a 4600 not too long ago. I was loathe to switch back to originals due to cost, but a suggestion I found on an HP forum that worked for me was to alter the print registration so in order to introduce a slightly larger gap between the edge of the paper and the edge of the print. This gives just enough of a 'lip' to stop the edge of the paper sticking.

Assuming the 3600 has similar menus, on the printer navigate to CONFIGURE DEVICE > PRINTING > PRINT QUALITY > SET REGISTRATION and apply a Y SHIFT of about -8.

10. 2 Thanks to AngryTechnician:

CESIL (27th June 2011), SYSMAN_MK (27th June 2011)

Thank Post
    i tried something similar but the problem kept coming back
    i also tried reducing the amount of colour used in the options
    in the menus
    print quality
    adjust colour desity
    no matter what i tried the problem came back

a little test would be to buy a genuine cyan toner and see if the problem persists i found that the cyan compats caused all the problems
    Last edited by round2it; 27th June 2011 at 03:36 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    I had this on a 4600 not too long ago. I was loathe to switch back to originals due to cost, but a suggestion I found on an HP forum that worked for me was to alter the print registration so in order to introduce a slightly larger gap between the edge of the paper and the edge of the print. This gives just enough of a 'lip' to stop the edge of the paper sticking.

Assuming the 3600 has similar menus, on the printer navigate to CONFIGURE DEVICE > PRINTING > PRINT QUALITY > SET REGISTRATION and apply a Y SHIFT of about -8.
    Just noticed that after a google search. Going to try that. Have suggested that the school either goes back to originals or make sure pupils no longer print full page colour.

Thanks for the replies. At least I know I wasn't talking rubbish

Thank Post
    I would suggest that its definitely associated with the toner cartridge. Many compatibles are simply refilled used cartridges so you can never know how many times they have been refilled before. A proper compatible is one that is manufactured from a so called "virgin cartridge" like the original. I would buy an original cartridge just to see if it really makes a difference but I reckon it will solve your problem.

Thank Post
    I have been having this problem on a 4650...I had already decided that the toner is to blame but rather than stump the extra cash (my budget is laughable this year) I have been advising users to avoid too much ink at the top of the page...

I have just changed the printer setting as per AngtyTechnicians post...it will be interesting to see if it works...

Thank Post
    I have the same trouble with a 5550. I went back to original toners and it improved although not fixed. We replaced the fuser unit as we thought it might not be at its best after the amount of times it had cleaned. So now I have some very expensive original toners and a new fuser unit and it still does not like posters full of black and it doesn't seem to heat it up enough and it is more like a paste and gets stuck.
    Expensive and annoying and I refuse to spend any more money on it!
    Ideas?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread