+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, 2.5" Serial ATA Enclosure in Technical; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts

2.5" Serial ATA Enclosure

Hi All eGeekers

Am after an enclosure to house a 2.5" Serial ATA HDD - from what I can gather its a 12.5mm drive as its a similar drive to what would fit and work in a Dell Latitude D630 as tried the 9.5mm drives in the D630's previously and for whatever reason we could not get the HDD to connect or make contact with the SATA and power connector on the motherboard

Any suggestions, the one I have found is here :

IOMAX USB 2.0 External Caddy/Enclosure For 2.5" Laptop: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Trying to get one around the same price mark ( £7 )

One main requirement I have is that it be USB powered by one USB lead ( not one of those dual USB cables as I only want to plug one USB lead in , not two )

Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    got mine off fleabay a while back...

Oh...but mine had 2 usb's..

Thank Post
    One main requirement I have is that it be USB powered by one USB lead ( not one of those dual USB cables as I only want to plug one USB lead in , not two )
    The reason for this is not the USB Caddy, it's the laptop / computer. Some PCs don't carry enough ampage over an individual USB port to power external drives, hence the requirement for using 2x ports. The drives that come with a dual headed cable will by majority still work off just one cable without needing the 2nd plugged in. It's onlyif you come across a PC with low output that you need to use 2. It's nothing special about the caddy either... it's just the cable.

Thank Post
    fair enough ref not outputting enough ampage etc - any suggestions on a reasonable one

I have one already from fleabay but the solder joints for the most part are all dry and its very tempormental as to whether it picks the HDD up or not etc

I did see suggestions about shoving it in the oven on 180 degrees celsius for aprox 8 mins but the PCB board is stuck in a plastic bit at the end and I cant remove the PCB board, going to try and re solder the dry joints but that wont be until monday

So as a backup plan wanted some suggestions of good ones that I know will work

Thank Post
    Novatech have several different ones here Cheap Hard Drive Enclosures from Icy Box & Sharkoon

I have got one of theirs (or rather my Son does now) that works very well...but does have a dual cable though.

I bought one of these Sharkoon QuickPort Combo eSATA last week and it is brilliant...hot swap SATA drives and also can connect IDE drive to the front...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CESIL View Post
    Novatech have several different ones here Cheap Hard Drive Enclosures from Icy Box & Sharkoon

I have got one of theirs (or rather my Son does now) that works very well...but does have a dual cable though.

I bought one of these Sharkoon QuickPort Combo eSATA last week and it is brilliant...hot swap SATA drives and also can connect IDE drive to the front...
    There are 2 on the main link you provided but the one you pointed to is not the kind I am after

I need something portable for a 12.5mm 2.5" Laptop Serial ATA hard drive that is USB powered.
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 24th June 2011 at 01:27 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 2,183 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    tried the 9.5mm drives in the D630's previously and for whatever reason we could not get the HDD to connect or make contact with the SATA and power connector on the motherboard
    Never had any issues fitting 9.5mm drives into Latitude D510/520/810/820's. Very strange!

Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    One main requirement I have is that it be USB powered by one USB lead (not one of those dual USB cables as I only want to plug one USB lead in, not two)
    USB Y cables are only required if the HDD cannot draw enough power from a single USB port. The maximum you can get from a USB 2.0 port is 2.5 watts (5V @ 500mA) and 4.5 watts for USB 3.0 (5V @ 900mA).

Which HDD do you have out of interest? I have several disks + enclosures which work fine when connected to a single USB port.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread