+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Acer Aspire 7741Z-5731 Bios password set for both HDD boot and CMOS. Sigh..... in Technical; No recovery disks, no password reset disk. I've went to the Acer site and of course they are of no ...

Thank Post

Acer Aspire 7741Z-5731 Bios password set for both HDD boot and CMOS. Sigh.....

No recovery disks, no password reset disk. I've went to the Acer site and of course they are of no help. They want you to send it in. I had his laptop dropped in my lap a couple hours ago by my fiancee's nephew who stopped by asking if I could unlock it. Apparently his friend broke up with his girlfriend and the ex-girlfriend took the time to set lock tight passwords in his laptop before leaving. Very sweet of her.

Running Windows 7 Home Premium and I checked out that site with the password cracks but the software seems to only work up until Win 2003?? This computer was manufactured in June 2010 and is under warranty until November 2011 so it's fairly new. However friend is too cheap to pay to get it fixed as Acer clearly states password recovery is NOT covered under warranty and he'd have to pay to ship it and pay to repair it. He's paying me a lot less if I can figure it out. Some of the screws are stripped it looks like because apparently HE has tried popping the case to get to the battery with the wrong type of screwdriver. Ugh!! I can get 90% of them out. Just sent fiancee out for better tools. LOL

Any other suggestions??? Any links to show where the battery is on this thing? Anyone know what type of motherboard is in this model so I can try a master password? Even putting in the serial number on the Acer support site gave me a generic manual only and if I wanted hardware specs it wanted to do a remote scan. Which would not be helpful since I'm on my Dell Desktop. LMAO

~Darlene~

Thank Post
    Never mind, the case doesn't appear to come off of this thing. This is a high dollar laptop. I called the kid and told him to pick it up and tell his friend to just pay Acer the stupid $100. I have better things to do with my time. LOL

~Darlene~

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    a hard drive password is stored on the bios of the drive if im not mistaken, so even if you can reset the cmos by removing the battery, it wont sort the HDD.

At least thats what acer told us when a kid here did the same. I just sent it back to them for fixing as we have cover.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    a hard drive password is stored on the bios of the drive if im not mistaken, so even if you can reset the cmos by removing the battery, it wont sort the HDD.

At least thats what acer told us when a kid here did the same. I just sent it back to them for fixing as we have cover.
    Correct, we had a simular issue but the kid ended up "renembering" the password when there was talk of his parents getting a bill. Theres no other way around it beside sending it back I think.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread