+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, New PCs - Results and testing in Technical; ...
    Thank Post

New PCs - Results and testing

Hi Everyone,

In another thread i mentioned i would let people know how our new PCs go, i've got a test bundle here and i've been playing around with it, here are the specs:

Intel Pentium G850 (still waiting on the G620T low power version, taking slightly longer to come in stock)
    Asus P8H61-I mini ITX motherboard
    2 x 2GB OCZ DDR3
    40GB Intel 320 SSD
    Corsair 430w PSU

I'll upload pictures this evening when i'm home so i can get the pictures off my phone. Anyone who read my comments in another thread would know that we don't use cases, instead we have false back desks and mount all the components on to an MDF board, previously these have been fairly big boards as the PSU has been glued down, hard drive screwed down and the motherboard screwed down. Now though with the new setup it takes only 2 screws to attack the board, 3 cable ties to keep the PSU in place and because SSDs are so light and aren't affected by a bit of shaking aboutthey're just held on by the cables they're attached by. All in all it takes about 5 minutes to setup a PC, if you were in a hurry you could do it quicker! (time being something alot of people have a problem with regarding building PCs in house)

Total cost per bundle:
    £56.12 for the SSDs
    £24.04 for the PSUs
    £28.46 for 2x2GB sticks of memory
    £46.49 for the CPUs (The G620Ts - the G850 was slightly more expensive)
    £52.10 for the motherboards

Comes to: £207.21 per PC ex VAT

Performance:
    After imaging with our image containing all the school software, from power button to login screen = 13 seconds
    Logging on as administrator from pressing enter to loading IE9 = 5 seconds
    Time to Load 32bit photoshop CS5 = 4 seconds
    Windows experience index scores:
    Processor 6.7
    Memory 5.5
    Graphics 5.2
    Gaming Graphics 5.8
    Hard Drive 7.4

Pretty damn impressed with them. I'll try and get a picture or two soon to show you all but if not then it may have to wait until later today

Anything else anyone can suggest i test on them?
    Last edited by mrbios; 15th June 2011 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Updated WEI scores after driver install

2. Thanks to mrbios from:

Embazzy (29th September 2011)

Thank Post
    Thats quite nice for a ITX. The HD should be getting a better performance index than that though, or at least I would have expected it to. My SSD, it is a vertex 3 sata3 mind, gets 7.8 and personally I think it would get a 7.9 if the sata controller on the mobo wasn't pants.

You have enabled AHCI in the bios haven't you?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Thats quite nice for a ITX. The HD should be getting a better performance index than that though, or at least I would have expected it to. My SSD, it is a vertex 3 sata3 mind, gets 7.8 and personally I think it would get a 7.9 if the sata controller on the mobo wasn't pants.

You have enabled AHCI in the bios haven't you?
    Yep, the 320 series aren't resoundingly quick mind you, and it only has 10GB free space after the image is on there, it certainly feels a **** load quicker than a mechanical drive even if the WEI isn't giving it a good result. Must admit though i was surpried it wasn't above a 6

Ah i forgot, while this test bundle inclues an intel 320 40GB drive, the actual drives we've bought for the 91 replacements we're doing are OCZ 40GB Vertex 2s, with a read and write of 270mb/s opposed to the 200mb read / 45mb write of the intel. Scan were kind to use and offered us the OCZ drives for the same cost as the intel drives as they couldn't get the intel stock for about 3-4 weeks.
    Last edited by mrbios; 15th June 2011 at 10:30 AM.

Thank Post
    Pictures attached, no idea why i thought i'd have to wait until i got home to get the pictures off my phone, had a bit of a blonde moment i think, i use a windows mobile 7 phone so there's like 4 different ways i could take the pictures off

I've taken one comparing new vs old, the size is about 50% difference, weight is around about the same as the better quality PSUs on our new stuff counters the saved weight from the smaller boards, when they're in our cabinets they'll be sat so the PSU is holding it upright, with the motherboard connections pointing upwards towards the holes in the desk surfaces.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Very good! All you need to do now is dump the Intel drives as theyre subbish and go OCZ. Should be even faster then!

SSDs are defiantly the way forward!

Butuz

Thank Post
    Can you post pics of where the boards are eventually installed so we can see the setup. Good idea.

Thank Post
    Like Butuz

www.scum.co.uk

60GB OCZ Technology Vertex 2E, 2.5" Sandforce SSD, MLC-Flash, Read 285MB/s, Write 275MB/s £75.60 Ex (might as well pay the extra £9)

40GB Intel 320 Series, 2.5" SATA 3Gb/s SSD, MLC-Flash, Read 200MB/s, Write 45MB/s, Retail (Crap Speeds) £66.93 Ex

40GB OCZ Technology Vertex 2E, MLC-Flash, 2.5" SSD, Read 280MB/s Write 270MB/s, Sandforce Controller £57.49 Ex cheaper than in-smell

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cools View Post
    Like Butuz

www.scum.co.uk

60GB OCZ Technology Vertex 2E, 2.5" Sandforce SSD, MLC-Flash, Read 285MB/s, Write 275MB/s £75.60 Ex (might as well pay the extra £9)

40GB Intel 320 Series, 2.5" SATA 3Gb/s SSD, MLC-Flash, Read 200MB/s, Write 45MB/s, Retail (Crap Speeds) £66.93 Ex

40GB OCZ Technology Vertex 2E, MLC-Flash, 2.5" SSD, Read 280MB/s Write 270MB/s, Sandforce Controller £57.49 Ex cheaper than in-smell
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    Ah i forgot, while this test bundle inclues an intel 320 40GB drive, the actual drives we've bought for the 91 replacements we're doing are OCZ 40GB Vertex 2s, with a read and write of 270mb/s opposed to the 200mb read / 45mb write of the intel. Scan were kind to use and offered us the OCZ drives for the same cost as the intel drives as they couldn't get the intel stock for about 3-4 weeks.
    ^^ Already a step ahead of you there.

Although intels reliability is far better than any other manufacturer, that alone is worth sticking with intel, only getting the OCZ drives due to a good deal we got offered. It's also worth noting though that raw read and write speeds as stated on websites aren't an accurate representation as to how good the drive is, it's like monitors and the ms ratings, it's all a load of crap really.

Quote Originally Posted by TechSupp View Post
    Can you post pics of where the boards are eventually installed so we can see the setup. Good idea.
    I'll keep the thread up dated as we do our installations, should have the pallete with the large order on arriving later this week so we'll start getting them built soon.
    Last edited by mrbios; 15th June 2011 at 12:02 PM.

Thank Post
    got a mate that reviews ssd hdd and PCIE ssd cards..
    i was playing on his PC with a 60GB OCZ Technology Vertex 2E, 2.5" Sandforce SSD, MLC-Flash, Read 285MB/s, Write 275MB/s
    and he had in to review and a new pcie ssd drive, he was maxing out a 275MB/s on the OCZ read and write the PCIE card was doing 450MB/s read write the card cost 2k for 512GB not out in the shops yet..
    i was very impressed as i would have never gone down the ssd route do to reliability be he has had a ssd in he PC for 3 years now and had no problems.
    but his IBM Deskstars keep failing lol..

Thank Post
    mrbios does that MB fit into a standard case ?? with out any mods.

Thank Post
    to test read write speed on ssd try HD Tune pro trial

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cools View Post
    I'll have to test that at some point, might not have time today though.

Just noticed not all the drivers had installed for the chipset via WDS (will need to check that ¬_¬) re-run the WEI and scores changed dramatically

New scores (also edited the OP):
    Processor 6.7
    Memory 5.5
    Graphics 5.2
    Gaming Graphics 5.8
    Hard Drive 7.4

That sounds a bit more realistic! lol

Thank Post
    It is Mini ITX so there should be no problem installing it into any of these form factors, Mini ITX, Mini DTX, Micro ATX, ATX etc

Thank Post
    Here's a link for anyone worried about SSD reliability:
    http://www.behardware.com/articles/8...rns-rates.html

Intel are the stand out team there, reliability is more important than performance in my opinion so i just hope my choice to go with OCZ for this initial batch isn't shooting myself in the foot.

rad
    Thank Post
    Blonde moment - what's ssd?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast