+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Crucial C300 64Gb SSD in Technical; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ihaveaproblem View Post
    I wish i had your bank account. I want 300 of these!
    They should improve loading times dramatically. I guess you’re using windows 7? I think I’m right in saying you need windows 7 to get full benefits.

64 GB seems a little on the low side for me, but it seems like you've done your research and don’t need any bigger.
    OCZ ssd's are supposed to be fairly good as well. Have you looked at these?

EDIT

Opps you clearly said your using windows 7, sorry^^
    Yeah moving to 7 in the summer - the prices i've got coming in are around £300 for i3's, 4gb kingston ram, intel board, these hard drives in a mini tower case.

I'm going to find a price on upgrading to the 90gb oCZ model.

Thank Post
    If you get these I bet the teachers still say their 10 year old monster tower deaktop ( That they've asked you to fix 5 times in the last year ) is still faster and the network sucks!

What brand are these desktops? They seem nicely priced.

Edit

Just a thought. Could you use the hard drives from the current desktops as a secondary to store some of the "rubbish" (Pagefile, Temp Files and less used applications) to free up some space on the ssd.
    Last edited by ihaveaproblem; 14th June 2011 at 11:40 PM.

Thank Post
    If you get these I bet the teachers still say their 10 year old monster tower deaktop ( That they've asked you to fix 5 times in the last year ) is still faster and the network sucks!

What brand are these desktops? They seem nicely priced.

Edit

Just a thought. Could you use the hard drives from the current desktops as a secondary to store some of the "rubbish" (Pagefile, Temp Files and less used applications) to free up some space on the ssd.
    Custom built for us buy a company - not ordered anything yet but there initial price came back in stupidly cheap!

I've put out to about 3/4 of them and 2 have come back around that mark - but when you buy 300 people tend to bight your arm off for an order!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,964 Times in 2,179 Posts
    As you say, you should be alright with a 64GB SSD, but an 80GB or 96GB SSD would give you a little bit more breathing room.

Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Our current image with the largest bits of software installed is currently 25GB so that leaves us with 35GB to play with.
    35GB minus...
    Code:
    100MB     System Reserved Partition
    4GB       Pagefile
    5GB       Cached MSIs (Windows 7 now caches entire MSIs in %SystemRoot%\Installer) plus various temp files and junk which build-up over time.
    4.3GB     The difference in disk space requirements between CS3 Design Premium and CS 5.5 Design Premium (just in case you do upgrade in a couple of years :) ). 
              The Master Collection requires 24.3GB if you install everything!

= 21.6GB free.
    Keep in mind you need at least 7.4GB free for the installation of service packs on 64-bit OSs (I'm thinking of when Windows 7 SP2 comes along which should have similar reqs. as SP1).

By the way, avoid installing Intel's RST drivers if you can. The "Link Power Management" feature causes issues with certain SSDs (C300s, M4s, Vertex's etc.). Whatever SSDs you choose, make sure they come with the latest firmware installed. The C300's should come with firmware rev. 0007 already applied if they are brand new, but I would check with the supplier because it would be a huge PITA to flash 300 SSDs to fix the reliability issues earlier firmwares had.

OCZ SSDs are supposed to be fairly good as well.

Thank Post
    Seems like that chart says otherwise:P I've only heard people say they are good, but maybe not then

Thank Post
    Not trying to throw a spanner in the works, but you may want to look into the lifespan of current SSDs.

Jeff Atwood of Coding Horror (and co-founder of StackOverflow) recently wrote an article about his personal and professional experience of SSD lifespan, which, I'll be honest, has put me off using them for a while yet... At least personally.

7. Thanks to dayzd from:

SYNACK (15th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Make sure they have the newest bios. The older bios does not like sudden power drops and I even had one die due to that reason. The newer bios has better power management and less problems with power drops.

Performance wise I would never go back to a none SSD drive.

Thank Post
    I've not tried them personaly, but I've heard these are worth a look for laptops.

Storage » Internal Hard Drives » SATA - HYBRID - Overclockers UK

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dayzd View Post
    Not trying to throw a spanner in the works, but you may want to look into the lifespan of current SSDs.

Jeff Atwood of Coding Horror (and co-founder of StackOverflow) recently wrote an article about his personal and professional experience of SSD lifespan, which, I'll be honest, has put me off using them for a while yet... At least personally.
    I haven't seen that review on coding horror but I did see that the corsair drives weren't that great

MPG - SPECIAL REPORT: Real World SSD Performance - Severe Duty: OWC Extreme Pro RE vs Crucial RealSSD

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dayzd View Post
    Thats where a 3 year warranty comes into use

Thank Post
    Thats where a 3 year warranty comes into use
    True - think OWC have made mine 5 years ( I have the owc 6g 240gb for home use but cant use it just yet as have to wait until pay day to buy a max upgrades drive sled, doh.

under specs tab at the bottom shows 5 years for warranty

They do a 120gb version 6G ( which is SATA 3 aka 6gbps ) so when you do upgrade your computers with SATA 3 at least they will keep up to speed. I think the C300 / real ssd only does about 300 mbps read / write where as the OWC does around the 500mbps read and write ( give or take a bit )

I was pressed between the OWC 6G or the OCZ vertex 3 ( either the normal or the max iops edition )

OWC OWCSSDMX6G240 240GB Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G SSD... in stock at OWC

OWC Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G SSD has 5-year warranty | Ubergizmo

Last edited by mac_shinobi; 15th June 2011 at 06:06 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    True - think OWC have made mine 5 years ( I have the owc 6g 240gb for home use but cant use it just yet as have to wait until pay day to buy a max upgrades drive sled, doh.

under specs tab at the bottom shows 5 years for warranty

OWC OWCSSDMX6G240 240GB Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G SSD... in stock at OWC

OWC Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G SSD has 5-year warranty | Ubergizmo
    This is from the Hardware Vendor who is putting them together - i might end up with a longer warranty on the components i havn't checked!

14. Thanks to glennda from:

mac_shinobi (15th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,964 Times in 2,179 Posts
    I might end up with a longer warranty on the components I havn't checked!
    It may be different if you are getting a local company to build the PCs, but when buying computers from the big OEMs (HP, Dell etc.), the individual components have exactly the same warranty as the computer itself (no more, no less). It doesn't matter if a particular SSD normally has a 5 year warranty, because if you buy the PC with a 1 year warranty that's all you are getting for the SSD too.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    It may be different if you are getting a local company to build the PCs, but when buying computers from the big OEMs (HP, Dell etc.), the individual components have exactly the same warranty as the computer itself (no more, no less). It doesn't matter if a particular SSD normally has a 5 year warranty, because if you buy the PC with a 1 year warranty that's all you are getting for the SSD too.
    Even if they used an OCZ or OWC ssd that had 3 or 5 years and you went to said manufacturer ie ocz or owc ??

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    hmm true - i've never really looked into it. But TBH from the link above it said most of them failed within 1 year - meaning that actually they would completely useless.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast