+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Video/Audio editing Station in Technical; Okay this will be brief the Biology department want to create a little multimedia studio in an office annex. This ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Video/Audio editing Station

Okay this will be brief the Biology department want to create a little multimedia studio in an office annex.

This will be used for the staff and pupils to create Video and Audio Podcasts among other things.

So I'd like to ask you what would you buy for a Digital Camera (Decent quality, preferably DVD quality but sadly it'll be out of our range i should think) also if it can have a boom microphone attached or maybe a 5.1 mirophone system, Video Editing Software (Adobe Premier Plus, Final Cut et cetera), Audio Editing I think I'll stick with Audacity unless anyone know of a package that can do a lot more for a reasonable price?

Workstation to be used? PC/Mac/Linux? Spec? Decent Microphone to be used hand held and desktop.

Does anyone know where you can get a pull down green screen as well? We may as well look at everything not and get an idea on cost the think the Biology department want something good but I want something better it'll be good for the school!

Wes

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Video/Audio editing Station

Mac + firewire Digi Cam + Final Cut + Audacity + Decent Microphone.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Which Mac would you recommend and what sort of spec? Any ideas on the type of digicam?

Wes

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Well you need lots of everything (CPU, RAM, Disk space) for Video editing, so if you can, I'd go for the top of the line Core 2 Duo iMac (with the 24" LCD). You could go totally nuts and get a Mac Pro but I don't think that's necessary.

DV Cam side of things, the recently released Canon HV20 is pretty decent.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,921 Posts
    Blog Entries

I would go for a mid range iMac (so 2.16Ghz, 1GB Ram, 160GB HDD) and then add firewire external hard disks as and when you need them.

However, if you have a bit more money, I would say go for a Mac Pro - any model would do. And add in as much HDD space as you require.

We recently bought 3 Canon XM2 camera's and find them very good. The ability to use different microphones via the shoulder attachment is very useful and the 'directional microphone' attachment is also useful. The only problem being that for a full kit out of one of these it will set you back around £2500.

Regarding software, Audacity is fine for the sound side of things, but for video it depends on what you wish to do. You may find Final Cut Express does everything you need and it costs significantly less than Final Cut Pro.

For audio recording it always depends on exactly what you want to record. If you want to record multiple channels at the same time you may want to look at a pro sound card and possibly a mixing desk. Microphone wise, I would use SM58's for general recording but again this would vary depending on the exact circumstances.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

One extra bit of equipment on the Microphone side of things that's worth getting if you're going to be recording a lot of voice content is a spit shield.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I think at the moment two channels is as far as it needs to go just really trying to get away from the tinny sound you tend to get with normal mics, I'll download the demo and try this out. As for storage we'd need something big enough to do the video editing on but the storage would be on our own storage servers so this won't be a problem. £2500? may be a little too expensive but I'll have to look. I'll check out the Apple online shop and see what the prices can be are there any other places you can buy macs from or is it just from Apple themselves?

@Geoff where can I get one?

Wes

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

One what? The Camera or the Spit Shield?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

The spit shield. I'm loking at the cameras currently but although the XM2 is a great camera the RRP of £1335 is a little too much I think hopefully onof my suppliers can get it cheaper.

Wes

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,921 Posts
    Blog Entries

Westleyw: I get all my stuff via European Electronique. Prices on apple stuff is usually around 15% - 20% cheaper than the RRP for it. The £2500 I quote includes all the extras (like hard case, spare battery, wide angle lens, tripod, tapes, shoulder mic attachment, and directional microphone. Actually, that was about £2000 rather than £2500 IIRC.

Thank Post

We do a lot of video editing and it is all done on PC using Adobe Premiere Elements (we have the full version too but elements is just easier and has very few limitations).

The PC of choice would be a HP XW range with as much memory and processor as budget allows.

For "green screen" stuff we use Reflecmedia Chromaflex which is extremely easy to set up and use because it uses a reflective screen rather than a green / blue one which means all the lighting is as you would normally do rather than having to worry about blue / green tints. There is then a ring of LED's you attach to the camcorder which reflects the appropriate colour back.

We have used it extensively over the last couple of years and it is very simple to use.

For podcasts - any camcorder will do really because I am guessing you will be cutting back the quality when you put it online anyway - just make sure it is one you can plug an external mic into.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

@Limbo: I've PM'd you for further details.

Wes

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread