+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Printer Being Stubborn in Technical; I think there is a conspiracy at our school. A conspiracy between the printers. Over the past two weeks I ...

Thank Post

Printer Being Stubborn

I think there is a conspiracy at our school. A conspiracy between the printers. Over the past two weeks I have had to remove over half of them, and replace them with the lower models we keep in "just in case". Most of the printers have obvious hardware faults. However one of the printers has eluded me.

It is an HP 2600N colour laser printer. I am able to ping it, I can also access its system page over the network - and everything appears to be quite normal. However, will it print anything? Not a sausage! The print queue doesn't claim that there is an error - it just backs up all the jobs until I go and delete them all (to which they all disappear without any trouble).

Clearly something isn't right, so if anyone knows what action I should take, I would be most grateful.

Thank Post

Re: Printer Being Stubborn

Few things to try..

1. Try restarting the print spooler service on your server that's sharing out the printer

2. Try removing the power on the printer, waiting for a few seconds and then replaceing power cord.

3. If you're using an external printserver, try the power off/on routine too

4. Check to see if some nice little blighter is powering off the printers and then powering them on again.. For some reason I found that one printer was on a power circuit that got shutoff every evening. Before the circuit was switched back on people would send out print jobs and then shutdown their pc's which seemed to jam the queue.. Weird to be sure but may trigger some ideas as to cause.

5. Check that you don't have any "service required" issues with your printers such as waste ink tank full (for inkjets) or toner, drum, etc.. replacement calls going unheeded.

Hope that shakes loose some solutions...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts

I find that changing the driver setting to:

'Start Printing After Last Page Is Spooled'

Helps on some of ours. What happens if you stop and start the printer spooler just before you try and print ?

Thank Post

@spdge: I have a 2300dtn that did this yesterday. In the end I reflashed the JetDirect firmware and performed a factory default reset on it which seemed to do the trick. It was rather annoying to say the least.

Thank Post

Well, now I can't ping it. I have tried the solutions mentioned above (except the reload of the firmware) but it isn't very happy. It seems to be that the first job always forms an error, thus blocking every job behind it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts

Did you get anywhere with it?

I've just experienced the exact same issue with a new 2600 we've only had a couple of weeks.

Sometimes it would decide to print a job sometimes not.

Print manager plus has an unlimited quota for the user so it's not that.

Could ping the printer all the time.

Power cycling it seemed to solve the problem temporarily.

Print quality on it is terrible in fact it has several nasty marks down the side of the paper.

Currently plugged in as a usb local printer instead of networking to appease the user.

With a backed up print queue the web page just lists "Ready" as the status for the printer.

Ben

Thank Post

I did solve the problem. It turned out that it was a problem with the port that had been configured for it, and the IP address that had been assigned. Once I got those two to match, the printer appeared to work fine.

We still have occasional times when our 2600s decide not to print for no reason. We even occassionally get them printing jobs that weren't sent to them, but I put that down to our dodgy server more than anything else.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts

What was the solution then?

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread