+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance (S7000) Q3.3.1 Released in Technical; Originally Posted by john Indeed not, it should be but not thus they had to manually clean all the logs ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Indeed not, it should be but not thus they had to manually clean all the logs up on both boxes, they did the logs for 7110 before we did the upgrade as it would have turned into a brick itself as well
    Chaps, just to let you know we have not gone quiet on this. Am shouting to find out what, why, who etc. Will keep you posted.

All Cutter customers that are having issues with 7000 series, please let me know ASAP.

2. 3 Thanks to linescanner:

Butuz (27th June 2011), Duke (23rd June 2011), john (22nd June 2011)

Thank Post
    Eeek, last one posted twice.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Thanks Andy for posting that, do let him know if any of you cutter customers are having issues please

My saga continues, Oracle in there wisdom have decided that my 7110 has significant fragmentation within its file-system which is why it sucks, I have been reliably informed by two wise men today that ZFS doesn't fragment like NTFS! Thus clearly ZFS has some magical type of Fragmentation / its Oracle flannel to make me go oh yeh as a Windows guy I know about that and it can suck etc.... and 3 more bugs assigned to basically put my long-standing case on "hold" as it were until they release the next version of the software. Although quite what fragmentation has to do with 88% of my LAN traffic being Oracle based ARP requests astounds me?! The fact that the SAN's NIC isn't working at 100% and thus not overloaded means they are not interested in the rest of my LAN GRRRR

For those considering the product my advise I am afraid is still don't touch them its really not worth it if you actually hammer and use the kit Shame really it worked great for a year / 18 months and just gone down hill since then. Full marks to Andy and Kim at Cutter, they have both been brilliant all through this and I am sure eventually we will get it right but until then steer clear of Oracle but do talk to Cutter about anything they can help with, I've NEVER used any vendor as helpful and supportive as them

Thank Post
    Seeing posts like that John makes my decision (forced by Oracle I may add) to stick with my older SUN version of the firmware actually seem like not such a bad idea now!

John could you not revert back to an earlier SUN version of firmware as an absoloute last resort?

Butuz

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz View Post
    Seeing posts like that John makes my decision (forced by Oracle I may add) to stick with my older SUN version of the firmware actually seem like not such a bad idea now!

John could you not revert back to an earlier SUN version of firmware as an absoloute last resort?

Butuz
    Stick to Sun branded firmwares Thats my advice and I wish I could but too late now I've added all deffered updates so without binning it and starting fresh not much chance

I am now working with a team of Oracle engineers around the globe including engineering guy's in the USA looking at it so it is being taken seriously just shame its taken so long to get to this point, I have migrated over half the data off it this weekend and making plans to do the rest next week as we need to be off it in my view as its no longer reliable which is a shame, but Oracle want to work with me to find the root cause and fix it but I need a job which is more key than them bug finding, the cases have been open since March in some cases thus they have had a large amount of time to dig around really, but we will do what we can with them.

Thank Post
    Oh heck ... I've been running my two 7110 for a couple of years now very happily (on the Sun firmware might I add) I haven’t upgraded in ages, the old saying if it ant broke don’t fix it. However I need to upgrade to a version that supports the hardware VSS provider for Windows so I can do SAN level VSS backups from my Hyper-V hosts.
    But after reading this scary thread I’m very worried about upgrading at all!!!! Does anyone know which version the hardware VSS provider is supported in or will I need to venture into Oracle scareware!
    Last edited by RobFuller; 28th June 2011 at 12:09 PM.

Thank Post
    The latest VSS providers do need the latest Oracle firmware (Q3.3.1). There are few bugs in the old version.

Thank Post
    Ah.. this could be a scary upgrade path.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RobFuller View Post
    Ah.. this could be a scary upgrade path.
    I'd find another solution for your VSS, I really have no faith in the kit with the Oracle Firmware on it as I see that being the root of all evil tbh.

Thank Post
    Well its limited, I’m using DPM to do my backups on my VMs and it does work at the moment but I have to do serialised backups which take an age and do fail, if I can use the hardware VSS it could half my time but not at the expense of stability. Though to be fair I really only use these boxes as iscsi targets with replication nothing else!
    Worth the risk?
    Last edited by RobFuller; 29th June 2011 at 12:07 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RobFuller View Post
    Well its limited, I’m using DPM to do my backups on my VMs and it does work at the moment but I have to do serialised backups which take an age and do fail, if I can use the hardware VSS it could half my time but not at the expense of stability. Though to be fair I really only use these boxes as iscsi targets with replication nothing else!
    Work the risk?
    Which ones are they that you have out of interest as I had a chat the other day with Oracle and we discussed the protocols and it was agreed that its good I don't use iSCSI as they are not suited for iSCSI due to no flash arrays in them like the new 7x20's have thus they are not performing as the should with iSCSI and nothing will improve that, as that was an early question about my performance did I use iSCSI to which i said nope I use NFS and SMB.

I'd not gamble myself, although my issues seem to be more SMB related than NFS i have just no confidence, as soon as we get them to a working state they will never be upgraded again.

Thank Post
    Guys, we do have customers running the latest firmware quite happily.

I had a long chat yesterday with Oracle internal and am hoping to get some more info in a bit which I will post as soon as I have something.

I know some of you have had a rough ride with the S7000 recently and that you have found support to be wanting, I have however spoken to the EMEA Unified Storage Manager responsible for support and stuff. He has been very helpful in explaining the process to make sure you are getting the best quality support and what to do if you are not.

Below is a draft on the process and how to get the best out of it.

1. When should you escalate a Service Request ?

Use the Oracle Global Customer Support Escalation Process when your business critical issue requires a higher level of attention from Oracle Global Customer Support Management.
    This process should be utilized when you:

encounter a critical roadblock or showstopper to implementation or upgrade plans
    urgently need to communicate important business issues to managers in Oracle Global Customer Support
    are dissatisfied with the resolution or response to a Service Request

2. How do I request a Service Request Escalation?

[...] should you still need to escalate your Service Request, simply telephone Oracle Support to update your Service Request. When you reach a Dispatcher, provide the Service Request number and ask for the Service Request to be escalated.
    You will be asked for a business justification for the Service Request escalation and for yours and your managerís contact information.

3. What can you expect after you request a Service Request Escalation?

If you have telephoned to request a Service Request escalation, the Service Request Escalation Owner will make every effort to call you back within 30 minutes [...]

You can also at the time you call request that the SR is transferred to an engineer in your time zone.

If all above fails, and you are one of my customers, call me and I will open the gates of hell on them !!!!!!!

14. 3 Thanks to linescanner:

Duke (29th June 2011), john (30th June 2011), RobFuller (29th June 2011)

Thank Post
    @linescanner I think we all know the escalation process all too well... it doesn't necessarily mean that your box gets fixed double-quick though. The speed of response really doesn't help when their answer is 'well, you're just going to have to wait until it finishes what it's doing' or 'yeah, you shouldn't turn that feature on'.

As people know, I've been a long standing Sun customer and all my server estate is Sun kit... plus I've had workstations and Sun Rays. Recently though I've lost confidence in the Oracle brand. I've told them this and they don't even seem that bothered.

Thank Post
    Just as an aside I've had a nightmare start to the week as one of my 7110's (serving ESXi VMs via iSCSI) has gone totally AWOL (despite busily working since 2009) and decided to stop serving up VMs to my ESXi boxes. I managed to backup all VMs and offload them onto a mix of Local ESXi storage and my other 7110. The faulty 7110 now won't even download , play or move VMs. It appears to be totally screwed. It's not covered by oracle so I guess that's the end for me.

I think it has punished me for post #34.

I'll be punishing it by unplugging it and removing it from my rack.

Butuz

Thank Post
    @Butuz If you use the SP to view the console (or indeed plug a keyboard and monitor into it) you may find that it is just taking an age to do something and nothing. I did something and it took 2 weeks for the box to come back online!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast