+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance (S7000) Q3.3.1 Released in Technical; Originally Posted by MicrodigitUK That doesn’t fill me with confidence, seeing I’m just about to get one. Once the governors ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MicrodigitUK View Post
    That doesn’t fill me with confidence, seeing I’m just about to get one. Once the governors give me the cash.
    What model are you getting again? Like I said, haven't had any problems with mine. Just had a chat with Rob at Corsham and besides a few niggles he's been pretty happy with his too (and reminded me I want clustered heads!).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    My personal view is I've got concerns over the range and Oracle's abilities on them, however steer clear of the small kit you want top end stuff as its the lower end kit that's suffering in my view.

I've had some interesting issues tonight with the 7110 and it jamming up and then chucking me out and not working right, so that's another case to log tomorrow (too much going on today and too much good food to do it tonight plus I want an EMEA engineer not the US who messed me around tonight! Grrr!)

I think its a case of when you really push and use the kit to the max which I am doing on the lower end stuff it just seems to go a bit EEKy and then not work right basically and mine seems to be in a bit of a strop now

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Must admit, I wouldn't like to be on the receiving end of an angry phone call from Andy!
    I am a pussy cat

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by linescanner View Post
    I am a pussy cat

Butuz

Thank Post
    Lol, I thought the exact same thing...

Thank Post
    What model are you getting again? Like I said, haven't had any problems with mine. Just had a chat with Rob at Corsham and besides a few niggles he's been pretty happy with his too (and reminded me I want clustered heads!).
    Looking at geting a nice 7120 24 TB and will be using iSCSI CIFS and deduplication..... not NFS as we are looking at virtualization of new servers with hyper-v....

7. Thanks to MicrodigitUK from:

Duke (13th June 2011)

Thank Post
    To update, we are still working on the issues, although we are getting a bit more progress. All roads as such are pointing to more upgrades to the firmware / software (call it what you will) on the hardware, still no answer over the fact we can not use half the features of the 7110 any more without it being advised to turn them off to make it actually do any decent work (that will be for a more future discussion).

Requested workflow / bug fixes for a bug which they cannot provide in a simple non-reboot format unfortunately and its built into the latest release so with all the checks it now needs to be done will be a 2 to 3 hrs upgrade per unit.... Ironically if they had provided the fixes when the issue I have was first logged and assigned to a bug I could have done reboots but now its a busy time of year for revision etc so looks like that is my Saturday morning gone again

I personally still wouldn't be investing in any-more Oracle hardware and have made that clear to Oracle that until all my issues are resolved fully and to my satisfaction I will not be buying any further Oracle hardware or recommending it any longer.

9. Thanks to john from:

Duke (16th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts
    @john:

Sorry to hear you having so much hassle with your 7110 kit, we have been running ours now for over a year now with 3 hosts attached running 17 VMs and it doesn't seem to be breaking into a sweat.

Uptime has been nearly a year (320 days) nice!

Would like another 7110 4Tb one to mirror ours for total fail-over will be looking for a second hand one if its free to a good home.

I do hope you get sorted John as you seemed to really enjoy running it.

Let me know how it goes John
    Last edited by bossman; 15th June 2011 at 10:58 PM.

Thank Post
    Ok to keep updating, the Q3.2.1 which is a pre-requisite went on both boxes fine, however got to the 7120 first to put the Q3.3.1 on and its now a VERY expensive paperweight.... Oracle support are working hard on it for me as I type but really not impressed that this release his bricked that one, and the 7110 which has failed to upgrade smoothly the last 2 times for major stuff is still to do....

Thank Post
    John,

Sorry to hear about your troubles, let us know how you get on and why it broke.

Andy

Thank Post
    Ok the 7120 is back alive after a few pokes. Credit to Rob the Oracle Engineer he has got it going, it seems these boxes are unable to look after themselves with log files growing and then taking ages for AKD to parse thus meaning service don't start, try to start in the wrong order and then jam up thus resulting in a bricked box as even a power on-off won't cure it as it will still read the files in the wrong order and jam up.

So we have the 7120 alive again and on the latest release. He has kindly agreed to stay on and look at the 7110 and give it a check over for the log issue before we allow it to run the Q3.3.1 upgrade, and just like the 7120 it is log heavy and would likely suffer the same fate as the 7120 did which isn't that good as the end user cannot do these log things themselves thus clearly showing another failing of this hardware range. I would expect those with bigger disk arrays, more cache, flash etc to get by perhaps with the big logs as they will be able to cope better / faster I suspect but who knows.

We shall see what this is like once it has the Q3.3.1 on it and if the work done in advance by Oracle's Rob keeps it away from the bricked box state that it usually gets into.

14. Thanks to john from:

apaton (18th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Ok forgot to post when I finally got all the LAN back up and went home for a late lunch. Rob was excellent and we have both boxes on the new release, thankfully his log tidyin and sorting ensured a smooth upgrade, however its not a fault free box, chalk up SR number 5 that is now open for my Oracle boxes.... 110% credit to Rob at Oracle though and to Phil for ensuring we got them back up and working but they really do need to do something about the state of them, it seems some customers have no issues ever with them but some then have no end of issues and myself and @Ric_ seem to be the ones that have no end of suffering, probably due to us both using all the features and hammering the tin, but for what you pay for them you expect, want and need to hammer them to get the value out of them.

We shall see if the ARP issue, dropping shares, analytic sheets crashing the box and other bugs cease with this new release, part of me doesn't expect it to fix them though, we still have the issue of shares deleted many many months ago still thinking they maybe there and it having a mind of its own thinking clients are accessing it when they are not doing so....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Ok the 7120 is back alive after a few pokes. Credit to Rob the Oracle Engineer he has got it going, it seems these boxes are unable to look after themselves with log files growing and then taking ages for AKD to parse thus meaning service don't start, try to start in the wrong order and then jam up thus resulting in a bricked box as even a power on-off won't cure it as it will still read the files in the wrong order and jam up.
    I got hit by this once, scared the out of me when it wouldn't come back up after a reboot for an upgrade. I assumed they'd fixed this bug in a previous upgrade but apparently not.

Thank Post
    I got hit by this once, scared the out of me when it wouldn't come back up after a reboot for an upgrade. I assumed they'd fixed this bug in a previous upgrade but apparently not.
    Indeed not, it should be but not thus they had to manually clean all the logs up on both boxes, they did the logs for 7110 before we did the upgrade as it would have turned into a brick itself as well

18. Thanks to john from:

Duke (20th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Might be worth asking if someone from Oracle will 'health check' my box before I upgrade. Got a busy summer this year and can't afford any unplanned downtime...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast