+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, NVIDIA GEFORCE 8400 GS blue screen issue - help needed!!!! in Technical; Hi guys I am in real trouble - I have been trying to mend someone's computer and I have had ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts

NVIDIA GEFORCE 8400 GS blue screen issue - help needed!!!!

Hi guys I am in real trouble - I have been trying to mend someone's computer and I have had hell - the damn thing was Vista anyway and it got into such a mess that in the end I decided to reinstall the OS, using the restore disk created by the owners when they got the machine. This failed.....
    So I got them to agree to a Win 7 upgrade.
    Now after I have installed the OS - everytime I try to install the nvidia drivers the machine blue screens as it goes into windows.
    In case I had duff drivers I scoured the net for the latest ones, wiped the machine and started again (to make sure any drivers were gone) and got the same result.
    Looking at the web, this is a known problem but no one seems to have a solution.
    PLEASE can someone help. This is a teacher's pc and my name will be mud if I hand it back non-working. When I got it it had multiple issues but was still working - just.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    This problem goes back to the scorce NVIDIA. They have not properly tested some late 7000 series to the early 9000 series, worst affected is the 8000 series.

The problem is due to over heating the chips do not have the proper leway to expand so the solderings crack, so you get the blue screen of death or in most cases wavey line going down the screen but when your pc cools down it will boot but as soon as it heats up same problem it crashes.

Nvidia are in the process of going to court with packardbell in california, but none of the big pc companys are admitting anything, pc world,song and dell... the only thing being done is packardbell are extending the warrenty too 2 years.

All you can do if its a laptop and still in warrenty get it fix but when you do the problem will just happen again. or throw you graphic cards out the window.
    Source - Nvidia 8400 Gs problems - Vista Forums

Looks like an over heating issue - I know it will be a total PITA but will be worth while either using onboard graphics if it has any , if they want to use it for gaming or anything more then a new graphics card

The only thing I can think of is this post :

Although this is an old post if anyone is still searching for an answer to run your computer without spending money or tons of mechanical or computer knowledge use this method:

Start comp in Safe Mode
    Open Control Panel
    Device Manager
    Go to Graphic You should see Nvidia 8400GS or your graphic card then disable
    Your computer should run fine under this using your basic graphic card.
    OR

Lower or disable hardware acceleration in safe mode or if you can get into windows

That or if they have a cd with the original driver that came with the machine - as with Nvidia cards you sometimes find using an older driver works better then the newer ones

Must be able to get a compatible graphics card for not too much
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 4th June 2011 at 01:33 PM.

Thank Post
    The thing is that the graphics card in the machine when we got it was the same one but had definitely gone wrong - the machine is 4 years old. We have replaced it with the exact same model. I have found the oldest compatible driver I can find and still no joy. There are no onboard graphics unfortunately. I do not have a recover disk, only the one they made when they got the machine.
    I dont think it is an overheating issue as the card never works - we never get that far, it blue screens as soon as we restart after putting the drivers in.
    What the heck am I going to do?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    not even into safe mode ??

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    it blue screens as soon as we restart after putting the drivers in.
    Silly question, but what's the BSODs error code? or the full .dmp if you got it?

Steve

Thank Post
    It'll boot into safe mode with no problems but I havent been able to get the error code yet, it seems to go by SO fast. Can I freeze it in any way?
    I am prepared to go and buy a different make of card out of my own pocket if I can know that that will work - but I really don't dare.
    the machine is an advent T9610 and the card has been in it since purchase.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    It'll boot into safe mode with no problems but I havent been able to get the error code yet, it seems to go by SO fast. Can I freeze it in any way?
    I am prepared to go and buy a different make of card out of my own pocket if I can know that that will work - but I really don't dare.
    the machine is an advent T9610 and the card has been in it since purchase.
    Go by fast as in it restarts? If so, you can turn off the auto-restart on failure in system settings, or do you mean a different way?

Edit - Also as a point, what drivers you using currently?

Steve
    Last edited by Steve21; 4th June 2011 at 06:11 PM.

Thank Post
    Random googlefoo... May not be helpful!

"
    Well...I figured it out, I had to go into the device manager and disable the processor's display driver, on start, it was attempting to load both, and I believe that's what was causing the crash. "

Thank Post
    I would try booting into safe mode and turning down the display driver acceleration in the display settings. This is not a fix as such but a temporary work around. To me it sounds like you have an issue with the card itself.

You could always let W7 download the driver from Windows update as it will be a known good driver that it downloads.

Have you tried rebuilding the machine with the original discs again?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 748 Posts
    @witch:

What is the version number of the drivers from the Nvidia website?

Are they the same as these or newer? NVIDIA DRIVERS 270.61 WHQL

I would also look into the graphics mode as this seems to be set at 1Hz as default in some cases and should be around 60 - 90Hz, you should be able to alter this in Safemode.

Good luck

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    I would try booting into safe mode and turning down the display driver acceleration in the display settings. This is not a fix as such but a temporary work around. To me it sounds like you have an issue with the card itself.

You could always let W7 download the driver from Windows update as it will be a known good driver that it downloads.

Have you tried rebuilding the machine with the original discs again?
    I dont have the original disks, just some random repair disk created when the machine was bought.
    The card is brand new and we get the same thing happening with an older GEforce card we have as well as the original one whuch is dodgy
    We have followed all the advice we could find - turned down the display acceleration, deleted all sorts of things.
    I have now loaded Win 7 AGAIN and as long as I DON'T try and load the drivers for the NVIDIA, the machine works OK - but of course the display is a generic and doesnt have the depth that it should.
    I have tried every driver I can find - the ones from the disk provided with the card, the ones off the nvidia site, and others mentioned as possible cures in various posts.
    the blue screen mentions nvlddmkm and so I googled that and followed some instructions to delete it but that didnt work either.
    Question: if I rebuild the machine and buy a different make of card will it work?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 748 Posts
    @witch:

It seems that the NVidia you have is the cause of all your misfortune and therefore I would state as long as you get a graphics card that is fully windows 7 compliant then you should have no problem.

I would take that card back to the shop you bought it from and exchange it rather than pay out of your own pocket and to justify the teacher paying for it I would state to them that it was the graphics card from the start which caused the problems.

I do hope you are charging for this?

Thank Post
    Hi Witch,

Can you get the minidump file created from the BSOD and upload it so one of us can take a look?
    If you boot into safe mode and then go to
    C:\windows\minidump

You will see the dumps created. If you upload the one with the most recent time stamp then one of us can use the minidump tools and see if it tells us whats going on.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    @witch:

It seems that the NVidia you have is the cause of all your misfortune and therefore I would state as long as you get a graphics card that is fully windows 7 compliant then you should have no problem.

I would take that card back to the shop you bought it from and exchange it rather than pay out of your own pocket and to justify the teacher paying for it I would state to them that it was the graphics card from the start which caused the problems.

I do hope you are charging for this?

I wish that it was just the card but if you google the issue you will see that a lot of people have had the same problem and exchanging the card made no difference I'm afraid. The card IS fully windows 7 compliant and anyway it failed in Vista too.
    I can't leave it like this and if I have to buy a different card to get the thing to work, I will.
    I am currently rebuilding the machine and when I have finished I will have another go, and then when it fails I will post the minidump.

Thank Post
    060411-24304-01.zip

Here is the minidump. Means nothing to me. Also the BSOD mentions nvlddmkm.sys which I googled and followed various threads as to how to sort it out, renaming it etc to no avail

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast