+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Small form factor PC's in Technical; We are looking at possibly having some small form factor PC's. We are not sure about what sort or brand ...
    Thank Post

Small form factor PC's

We are looking at possibly having some small form factor PC's. We are not sure about what sort or brand to have and as always price is a big part. I know RM do one which is a all in one but i want to avoid RM if i can. I found that Evesham do a similar one ( i think its the same chasis as the RM) with a 17" hard glass TFT. I would like to have 19" if poss but i am open to your suggestions.

Space is a key issue here and I would quite like a small desktop, all in one or the ones like i have seen of Dell which is where the tower seems to sit on the back of the monitor.

The desks we will be using are only 600mm deep so please bear that in mind.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Small form factor PC's

You could always consider the iMac. As perverse as this may sound, run that with Boot Camp and you have access to Windows. I don't think you'll find a better integrated PC/Monitor unit.

Otherwise, as you say, your next best solution would be an ultra SFF PC or a thin client which can hang off the back of your monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by tosca925
    I have seen of Dell which is where the tower seems to sit on the back of the monitor.
    Good prices on these at the moment £609
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank Post

Not as neet but I have used the regular SFF Compaq Evo D510 systems (similar size to GX270 SFF) turned on end - they are designed for this and have little feet - then you put the monitor in front. If you cable-tie all the cables all should be well.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Space is a key issue here and I would quite like a small desktop, all in one or the ones like i have seen from Dell which is where the tower seems to sit on the back of the monitor.

The desks we will be using are only 600mm deep so please bear that in mind.
    We looked at the Dell USFF and the down side is that they have an enormous power brick which either goes on the desk (in which case you don't really save space) or on the floor to be tripped over ec.

The Dell Optiplex 745 Small Form Factor is a reasonable compromise in size and will stand at the back of the monitor so it doesn't take up too much space.

I can sympathise with having to fit stuff on 600mm desks - we've been landed with whole rooms full of them and they're really much too small!

Thank Post

We are looking at possibly having some small form factor PC's. We are not sure about what sort or brand to have and as always price is a big part. I know RM do one which is a all in one but i want to avoid RM if i can.
    We've just got one of the new RM all in ones and I wouldn't describe it as small form factor - it's massive!

Thank Post

We do systems based on the ASUS pundit barebone, this has a good stand for upright positioning and has an internal PSU. Tucking this behind a normal TFT would only be slightly deeper than an all in one and should be a cheaper solution. (How much width do you have available? Upright these are about 9cm wide so can sit next to the display/KB/Mouse with the TFT pushed right back to the wall)

Check some pre built specifications here Pundit Systems

If you would like a specific spec/quote feel free to PM me the details and I will get somebody from sales to email you a quote.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 929 Posts

I have used Biostar and Shuttle Cubes before, they are space saving as well and you can stand the monitors on the top of them and keep space as well.

Thank Post

Have a look at Stone Computers, they do a range of small footprint PCs.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Blog Entries

You seem to be wanting all in one pc's rather than small form factor. I am looking at the exact same thing at the moment and have come across the following companies:

www.cyberneteurope.com
    www.cadar.co.uk

Give them a call and see what they can offer you. I'm waiting for a quote from Cadar but Cyberneteurope don't seem overly expensive.

Thank Post

crc-ict - I wouldn't say that the RM-one machines are massive, they don't take up much space on your desk and would fit easily onto a 600mm worktop space. The system appears to be robust and "student proof" *laughs*. We had a quote from RM for 210 of these at £505 per unit.

RM One Specifications and overview

As has already been mentioned there is a Dell variety where the base unit is attached to the back of the monitor stand. They also work very well.

Both have a design feature that prevents users from removing mice and keyboards. The quote I got for Dells was at £450 per unit.

I am still interested in the RM-One machine however as it does appear to be more robust and solid compared to the optiplex variety. We have one of each on trial and the RM machine far outways the dell one for several reasons.

I would be interested in looking at other varieties if anyone else knows anymore suppliers.

Thank Post

The Dell Ultra SFF sits quite neatly behind their monitor which is always good however the normal Dell Small Form Factor is quite good too!!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread