+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, do you keep projectors on all day? in Technical; Indeed..and the odd blowing out doesnt hurt...
    Thank Post

Re: do you keep projectors on all day?

Indeed..and the odd blowing out doesnt hurt

Thank Post

@localzuk
    For example, turning off an F40 fluorescent lamp for only one-half hour a day can save about $4.00 (based on 8 cents/kWh) in energy over the life of the lamp. In fact, the money saved by this routine is typically more than the price of a new lamp.
    Even an enviromental, lets save the planet, no doubt vegetarian eater with the wind behind them, living in California eco land can only bring themselves to say the money saved is "typically" more then the price of a new lamp

@Andrew_C
    the rest are using short-arc lamped LCD or DLPs.
    All the projectors we've got up here have got have a lamp that gets hot and emits light and is cooled by a fan- I look forward to seeing one of these new ones

regards
    Simon

Thank Post

We ask the teachers to switch leave on during, when not in use to just 'no show' the projectors and when there done at the end of the day to just switch off

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Our installers across Wales when each school was given a couple of projectors and interactive whiteboards, we were left instructional laminates to turn off the projectors to save lamp life.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi
    Even an enviromental, lets save the planet, no doubt vegetarian eater with the wind behind them, living in California eco land can only bring themselves to say the money saved is "typically" more then the price of a new lamp
    How expensive are your fluorescent tubes? They are about £2 each are they not? How long would you say the life of such a tube is? 3 years average? At 9p a unit for electricity, a 36W lamp costs ~£17 to run for 3 years for 9 hours a day. The saving of turning one off for half an hour a day would be 90p. So, yes the saving wouldn't quite be the cost of a new bulb but spread that across the 4 - 6 bulbs per class room multiplied by classroom and you have a significant saving - in our school that would be £157 over 3 years (aka 1400kWh's of power). I think our bursar likes that kind of saving, especially as it costs absolutely nothing to implement.

And also take into consideration that if they are turned off during breaktimes and lunchtimes, the 'half an hour' should be turned into an hour and a half really. So you can multiply that by 3.

Combine this with turning computers off when they aren't being used, ensuring heating isn't on when the windows are open etc... and the cost savings are considerable.

Thank Post

Hmm, I think my server room is using around 87360kWh a year. Can I turn those off?

Thank Post

I have put all the projectors on to low power, this saves bulb life and uses less power. The only draw back is the image isnt as bright, but the fan i quieter

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi
    @Andrew_C All the projectors we've got up here have got have a lamp that gets hot and emits light and is cooled by a fan- I look forward to seeing one of these new ones
    As I remember it thermionic refers to the emission of electrons from a hot cathode. In televisions and Barco projectors,those electrons are guided down a tube where they strike phosphors which in turn give us light. The elements in these may well not like repeated heating and cooling, just like valves didn't.

A short-arc is fundamentally different, even if it does get hot as a secondary effect. Oh, &btw I do understand that heat=light.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy
    Hmm, I think my server room is using around 87360kWh a year. Can I turn those off?
    I've actually been considering doing this. Turning our 6 servers off for even 2 hours would save us a large sum of money each year.

Thank Post

Personally I prefer teachers here to turn them off when not in use, as I feel if they are not using it lesson 5 (last lesson of the day) they are less likely to leave them on, when they leave school at the end of the day. Its generally the same people all the time, but thankfully the cleaners are generally flexible and will turn the projecotor off if the teacher is no longer in school. Via the correct route with the remote also - not just with the on / off switch at the wall (we use a key switch in most rooms so its not possible anyway).

It appears that the only projectors here are more 'heavy duty' and the bulbs appear to have lasted for ages - I dont remember ever changing one particular projector bulb and it must be over 7 years of age and still going strong.

However the projectors that have only been put in 2 or 3 years ago have possibly had a new bulb installed.

In september we will be looking at having around 65 - 85 installed projectors across the school and at present the job of cleaning the filters is not done reguarly enough - once a half term, I will be looking at putting together a program where we try to clean each projector on a 3 - 4 week basis.

Thank Post

Energy saving aside, that is important,,,

We just purchased some Epson projectors that have a 3 yr lamp waranty.

Thats not a bad way to go, if you did get through a bulb a year that could be £150 x 3 = £450 - more than the cost of the projector and the free waranty itself !! This has got to be the way to go!!

The projectors were also high ANSI lumens too

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Does that warranty not have a 'or X hours' clause? If not, where do you get em??

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts

I think my server room is using around 87360kWh a year. Can I turn those off? Smile
    I did last year to make a point - a point being that without the Air Con unit I had just bought I was not willing to 'cook' the remaining servers in the rack. Funnily enough I was allowed to keep the Air Con Unit after that...

Thank Post

@Andrew-C
    Fair point. 15-15?

Seriously, which projectors are using these short-arc lamps and do they have a much longer life and do they have different life-shortening characteristics then?

regards

Simon

Thank Post

All of them, except the old Barco sitting unloved in the theatre...

I'll try to find any details, but I'll try again later!

Hmmm... Anyone want an old Barco? Very few hours, painted black, a cow to align (took me hours last time I tried)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast