+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Wireless N - access point or replacement Router ? in Technical; Looking to get wireless N working for a charity - currently they have and use BT ( with included BT ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts

Wireless N - access point or replacement Router ?

Looking to get wireless N working for a charity - currently they have and use BT ( with included BT router ) which is wireless G and tried some things but am going to try the suggested changing the wireless channel from automatic to a set channel and disabling bt openzone as well as possibly resetting the router itself - obviously I dont have the settings to program there router so will most likely have to call BT for the ADSL settings etc

The wireless access point I was looking at ( if anyone knows of a better one then let me know )

Netgear WN802T - http://www.scan.co.uk/products/netge...up-to-300-mbps)

Or a replacement router which I was thinking the DGN2200

Scan.co.uk: Netgear DGN2200 Wireless N300Mbps Router with Built in ADSL2+ Modem inc ReadySHARE USB Port - DGN2200-100UKS

The DGN2200 has wireless N and everything else and is cheaper - I did find a review stating that the firmware on the DGN2200 is rubbish and had some issues so not sure

Duckbill stuff: Netgear DGN2200: Don't buy

Which I found through the netgear forum here :

Request Opinion About DGN2200 - NETGEAR Forums

Obviously with them being a charity am after something cheaper if possible

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    i use the dgn2000 with custom dgteam firmware. works fine for me

Thank Post
    Billion 7700N.

Thank Post
    seen a lot of reviews with the dgn2200 over heating and with it coming into summer or pretty much summer now - cant be doing with that and the WN802T has a lot of reports of falling over and having to constantly reboot it.

Am now of the opinion they might have to go with the

Scan.co.uk: Netgear RangeMax DGND3300-100UKS ADSL (BT) Monem Router
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 30th May 2011 at 10:52 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Netgear software is junk for APs (seporate issue from my issue with their support incase anyone is keeping track). The Netgear stuff can be very incompatible with some kinds of WiFi cards and drivers. We had a batch of Toshibas that simply would not work with a 'pro' grade Netgear WAP.

Don't go with integrated, keep the existing modem and use a seporate WAP with it as it will be more stable. I would look at Draytec or even linksys which are fine and don't overheat as long as you hang them the right way on the wall.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,005 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    What happened to the WNDR3700 - heard a lot of good things about this one but not sure as can't find it aside from on eBay
    The WNDR3700v2 is now called the N600 Wireless Dual-band Gigabit Router. Netgear have four different N600 models which is very confusing! The DGND3700 (a.k.a N600 Wireless Dual-band Gigabit ADSL2+ Modem Router) is the only model which includes an ADSL modem, but you can't buy it yet.

obviously I dont have the settings to program their router so will most likely have to call BT for the ADSL settings etc.
    IIRC, entering bthomehub.home into your web browser will allow you to view/change the settings.
    Last edited by Arthur; 30th May 2011 at 12:05 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Netgear software is junk for APs (seporate issue from my issue with their support incase anyone is keeping track). The Netgear stuff can be very incompatible with some kinds of WiFi cards and drivers. We had a batch of Toshibas that simply would not work with a 'pro' grade Netgear WAP.

Don't go with integrated, keep the existing modem and use a seporate WAP with it as it will be more stable. I would look at Draytec or even linksys which are fine and don't overheat as long as you hang them the right way on the wall.
    Can you suggest a decent WAP model from linksys and draytek, I normally configure the routers using there WEB GUI and never touch any software when using linksys, netgear or the likes

Draytek AP 700 looks like the one im after, about £66 from misco or the likes and so far has good reviews
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 30th May 2011 at 11:26 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    The WNDR3700 is now called the N600 Wireless Dual-band Gigabit Router. Netgear have four different N600 models which is very confusing! The DGND3700 (a.k.a N600 Wireless Dual-band Gigabit ADSL2+ Modem Router) is the only model which includes an ADSL modem, but you can't buy it yet.

IIRC, entering bthomehub.home into your web browser will allow you to view/change the settings.
    The 3300 version I presume is the bottom of the range in that line ( DGND 3300 ) as far as the N600 line of routers, the 3300 states it has ADSL2+ modem as well as the other stuff

Thank Post
    Personally I would go with the advice above and stick with the existing router and buy a decent wireless access point, it then stops the internet provider blaming everything on your router.
    I know this will be pretty expensive, but if they want rock solid, dual band wireless then you could look at buying a Ruckus access point as they will operate standalone. It will solve the contention issues quite easilly :-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Can you suggest a decent WAP model from linksys and draytek, I normally configure the routers using there WEB GUI and never touch any software when using linksys, netgear or the likes

Draytek AP 700 looks like the one im after, about £66 from misco or the likes and so far has good reviews
    Yeap the 700 or 800 are quite good, not dual band so no 802.11a but robust gear none the less. The linksys e2000 handles both bans and has gigabit ethernet which is nice. You do need to wall mount them with the ports facing upwards though as otherwise they do overheat.

11. Thanks to SYNACK from:

mac_shinobi (30th May 2011)

Thank Post
    The DGND3300 is part of the N300 range (of which there are 7 different models). It looks like the marketing department run Netgear these days.

Netgear routers in general tend to be a bit hit-or-miss so I would probably look elsewhere. e.g. Linksys E4200 Maximum Performance Wireless-N Router (£120 / Review / Web UI). The best thing is that you can flash it with alternative firmware such as DD-WRT and (soon) TomatoUSB.

13. Thanks to Arthur from:

mac_shinobi (30th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Am going to go with the AP 700 draytek WAP, decent price and hopefully should work with the PCI Asus G31 wireless card they have.

This is only for one desktop btw , not a class full of kids or anything so Ruckus would be too much £££, as above router replacement will get blamed if it does not work and better to use a WAP in addition to the BT Router, that way I can disable the onboard BT wireless inc open zone and use the AP 700 draytek on one of the ethernet ports.

Not fussed about gigabit as the BT router ports are 100mbps and they dont do media streaming or anything that requires that much bandwidth, its literally for web browsing and some other bits.

Wanted a wireless N access point to make sure it has enough coverage, configuration wise I presume I will have to configure it as upto 145mbps as the wireless card is B/G and will work using wireless G

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Yeap the 700 or 800 are quite good, not dual band so no 802.11a but robust gear none the less. The linksys e2000 handles both bans and has gigabit ethernet which is nice. You do need to wall mount them with the ports facing upwards though as otherwise they do overheat.
    whats the 802.11a in the context you are talking about ?

Looking on wikipedia 802.11 is obviously wireless and A, B, G and N are the different classifications with regards to speed / coverage etc. A and B being similar I presume as they were the first ones brought out , G being the better one as better coverage and better throughput ( I think, not sure ) and N obviously being the better out of all of them as far as coverage and speed and also being backward compatible to a degree. Obviously there are other factors ie MIMO, which wireless chipset ie broadcom, infineon etc etc and also firmware which helps depending on the config etc

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    a is different frequency than b and g (5ghz rather than 2.4ghz) and n, which is MIMO technology can operate on both (afaik)

Thank Post
    This is only for one desktop btw
    Would a couple of Powerline adapters been an option?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast