+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Digital Signage in Technical; Once you've bought OneLAN you could technically hypothetically clone the harddisk and run it on your own hardware providing it ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Once you've bought OneLAN you could technically hypothetically clone the harddisk and run it on your own hardware providing it doesn't go against the terms of use

OneLAN is Linux and Python-based from what I gather; so that's where the money goes - to the developers.

It would be good if spectaKle (as mentioned above) ever got off the ground - digital signage could eventually be as cheap as the hardware alone.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Its also based on off the shelf hardware, mini-itx computers some are from what little I have seen and HP Compaq standard machines, but as you have said licencing etc.

Thank Post
    After two years of deliberation. We will be installing an 'Inspired' system over CAT5 and Fibre this summer to deliver two content types to 8 screens.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sqdge View Post
    Does anyone here use a digital signage system within their schools (as in LCD screen giving information to pupils/visitors)?

We are thinking of implementing one into our school so i would be interested to hear people's experiences/advice.

Thanks
    We work with alot of Schools and Universities who already have the Digital signage in place.
    They are an excellent tool to getting information across to Parents, Pupils and Teachers!

Once the Digital signage has been designed it is very easy to use.

OneLAN and PADS are two of the most popular Digital signage companies, we provide OneLAN as we find the layout is better.

If you need a demonstration on digital signage let me know and I can send a demonstrator out for OneLAN Digital signage.

They do not supply to end users, so won't sell you anything but can give you a great demonstration and advice.

David Millar
    Evolution Resource
    01442 211811

Thank Post
    Onelan have invested a massive amount of money in their software and employ 7 full time developers to improve the interface and the aesthetics of the final layout. We would like to think that the simplicity of our box proves this. We do not have any further charges once you have purchased the system with regards to software updates or licencing. We have seen a lot of competition come and go who have tried to offer a cheaper solution which does not do what you guys want it to do and has security issues.

Quote Originally Posted by marknhopgood View Post
    Why are those boxes so expensive - a PC costs £200, so how is the onelan player £1800.

Why did samsung (magicnet) and 3M back disasters?

What's needed is something that just works on any PC, with most schools having a good broadband connection, surely a software as a service communications system (digital signage) would be the answer.

That way it can be tested from the comfort of a browser, seen to be working and if it doesn't work, can be switched off with no additional costs.

If anyone out there is interested in talking with me, I'd be happy as I've had about 14 years working in IT / Digital Signage and it's amazing the rip offs out there, given that this is a pretty easy concept.

Let me know
    regards
    Mark

Thank Post
    Not true if you bought a box with v5 and they release v6 shortly after.

Thank Post
    We initially thought our 3000 series would be able to handle V6 but it was not the case. It was a mistake. You can send back your box for us to update so it can run v6. Please speak to the reseller you purchased it from.

Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    Not true if you bought a box with v5 and they release v6 shortly after.

Thank Post
    We have a signage soliution from a company called inspired solution which I am fairly happy with.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marknhopgood View Post
    Why are those boxes so expensive - a PC costs £200, so how is the onelan player £1800.

Why did samsung (magicnet) and 3M back disasters?

What's needed is something that just works on any PC, with most schools having a good broadband connection, surely a software as a service communications system (digital signage) would be the answer.

That way it can be tested from the comfort of a browser, seen to be working and if it doesn't work, can be switched off with no additional costs.

If anyone out there is interested in talking with me, I'd be happy as I've had about 14 years working in IT / Digital Signage and it's amazing the rip offs out there, given that this is a pretty easy concept.

Let me know
    regards
    Mark

p.s.

I've just added a new article top 5 suggestions when taking on digital signage
    Corporate Digital Signage: Top 5 Suggestions when taking on a digital signage system - part1

hope you find this useful

regards
    Mark
    Unfortunately if you click on the hopgood eu test channel link on the website it comes up with Highly Inapropriate Adult Website. Just what you need when you work in a school!
    Last edited by john; 7th March 2011 at 08:42 PM. Reason: no need to link to the direct website that will just trip web filters up

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sqdge View Post
    OneLan is one approach - but I don't know how good it is.
    We have used a one lan solution, but it was a pain to maintain / update feed information or pictures etc. What was supposed to be a replacement for the daily bulletin, now sits in the stock cupboard gathering dust.

You get several layouts and can change these as needed or design your own which is fine. However updating the text which is via a notepad file hosted on the box itself wasnt really a good enough solution as you had to create seperate logins and reload the file, no spell check etc etc.
    As for uploading photos to show on the screens - you had to copy the pics to the box and then use the software to tell it which pictures to show and in what order and for how long etc. It wasnt just a drag drop and thats it job done situation. Training the receptionist to use the difficult interface is challenging at best.

Now we use just a basic PC that shows a powerpoint slide show while currently writing our own system.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12