+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Hardware Thread, What New Desktops To Buy For An I.T Suite? in Technical; I've been given money to replace the computers in 2 of our I.T Suites, so approx 60 new machines. We ...

Thank Post

What New Desktops To Buy For An I.T Suite?

I've been given money to replace the computers in 2 of our I.T Suites, so approx 60 new machines. We currently have the classic Dell Desktops with a money which i'd like to move away from as i get sick of students moving the base unit around, the twisitng the moniter and being able to unplug cables at the back.

I've thought about some All-In-One units which may stop these problems but its just a quick thought. Anyone have or know any useful info regarding these?

Are there any recommendations anyone can make or things we should be looking out for?

Thank Post
    My school are currently going the opposite way.

We have been a staunch RM all-in-one buyer for years, most of our desktops are the older non wide screen RMones. They are very secure I admit. The hard glass screens are nearly indestructable. However its still very possible for students to tug USB cables out of the back, though if you wrap them up inside along with the power cable it makes it much harder to tug out. (Though with a very determined student they could cause more problems then prevent)

Customer service is reasonable and next day warranty service is pretty awesome with freindly engineers around here.

However, we have been moving to Dell recently for cost reasons. It cost us about 800 to buy in an all in one, whereas a standard desktop unit was about 400 and thats for the same spec. We currently have 2 dell suites, which are reasonably managable when it comes to mouse/keyboard replacement. We put the dells in rooms that specifically dont get hammered or are under constant watch.

PS: Replacing and installing VGA cables and Optical drives are a BIG pain, expect an opticial drive installation to take at LEAST half an hour.
    Last edited by Asomodai; 26th May 2011 at 01:28 PM.

Thank Post
    We use VeryPC and in honest we have been so pleased with them it's unbelievable. Their warranties are good, their support is top notch and the units themselves are reliable and well built.

Maybe not what you were after but that's just who / what we use

4. Thanks to RTFM from:

PeteHopton (9th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by farquea View Post
    Are there any recommendations anyone can make or things we should be looking out for?
    I think we've decided on the Acer Revo VESA-mount-on-the-back-on-the-monitor machines for future upgrades - at 200 a machine, they really are a bargain. Viglin had some nice all-in-one machines on show at BETT this year - you can actually buy the base and fit (or have them fit) whatever components and screen you want, including a touch screen if you want. RM's new machines also looked pretty good - there were a whole bunch of stands at BETT using the RM One for demos.

HP's all-in-one machines seemed to be quite popular at BETT, too, although those tend to be a bit pricy - these are devices more intended for the home market, and are a bit more expensive. I have an Advent all-in-one myself at home - very good, nice and compact, reasonable price, but you should bear in mind that the VGA port on the back is VGA in, not out as it would be with machines designed for school/office use - you can't put a VGA splitter on the VGA port and drive a projector and the PC's screen off these machines.

The cheapest way to get a new RM One is to buy a second-hand RM one (about 100) and put new insides in it (another 100-ish). They take standard-sized motherboards, and being upgradable I think they're a good long-term bargain.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RTFM View Post
    We use VeryPC and in honest we have been so pleased with them it's unbelievable.
    Had a look at them at BETT, too - very impressed. Random aside: for these VESA-mount PCs, does anyone know where we can get extra-short VGA cables from? We always wind up with a bunch of cabling floating around at the back of the machine - you can cable-tie it up, but having a shorter cable would be a better option.

Thank Post
    We installed Novatech Nbox's into 2 It suites with 19" widescreen LED Acer monitors, The Nbox attach to the back of the monitor and look fantastic. We have had no damage done to them hardly anybody moves them about and they work great worth a look at

Thank Post
    We have just purchased 25 of the Dell Vostro 330 All-In-One to replace the RM One, i got a good price per unit and the spec should make sure it last for at least 4 years.
    Last edited by ticker; 26th May 2011 at 02:48 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Talk to the likes of Stone/Misco/Nova tech they all do custom built models which tend to be cheaper. If you want i'll pm you my contacts at the first 2

Thank Post
    I've been looking at these

Secure In One - Secure In One - they look very tidy, hoping for an eval model in a couple of days

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    I've been looking at these

Secure In One - Secure In One - they look very tidy, hoping for an eval model in a couple of days
    they look good although they are only pentium and pretty expensive for one of those IMHO

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    they look good although they are only pentium and pretty expensive for one of those IMHO
    Agreed, a two to three generations old CPU architecture and only 2GB of RAM, you can do much better for that kind of money.

Thank Post
    I'd be quite interested in this too actually. We've never been and I don't plan to be an all-in-one site - I get that they have some major benefits but I prefer a standard desktop PC and TFT. We use Dell here and I specced out a Dell Optiplex 380, E6700 3.2GHZ, 4GB DDR3, 250GB HDD for well under 300 each. This is more a generic PC, for our ICT Suites that get heavily used (they want to start 3D game design, etc) I'd probably spec out a basic but dedicated GFX card on there.

Any better suggestions?

Thank Post
    Morning!

I'm another one who likes Very PC. One of the larger schools i supply absolutely swear by these. Cost effective and great support. We supply quite a lot of them. Popular choice!

15. Thanks to Millgate from:

PeteHopton (9th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Ergo As2 * - Ergo Computing - Full-scale ICT solutions provider we have around 120 of these fantastic for it suites

Thank Post
    we bought 80 lenovo a70z all in ones last year and they have been fantastic, we have wall mounted them in a lot of places and they have formed our sixth form study suite, our language lab and our staff work room and we are very happy with them. We tend to get good prices on lenovo gear from insight too so it might be worth giving the ma shout!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast