+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Hardware Thread, What New Desktops To Buy For An I.T Suite? in Technical; Originally Posted by aptproductions I remember seeing these ---> idesk, the Worlds First Integrated PC Desk. <--- mentioned somewhere previously ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aptproductions View Post
    I remember seeing these ---> idesk, the Worlds First Integrated PC Desk. <--- mentioned somewhere previously .. could be an interesting approach ..
    A very expensive option is what they are.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    Been doing it for the past 3 years, i'll take a few photos for examples if you like
    Cool, would love to see exactly how you went about designing the enclosures to house the PC components in the false back desks!

We've looked at things like iDesks in the past but could never justify the added cost.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis View Post
    Cool, would love to see exactly how you went about designing the enclosures to house the PC components in the false back desks!

We've looked at things like iDesks in the past but could never justify the added cost.
    ahhh forgot to take pictures today, i'll write myself a note to remind myself tomorrow!

Luckily all the benching that gets put in for computers is factored into the maintenance/capital costs, so we're essentially getting PC cases/enclosures paid for from someone elses budget

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have PM'd you.

Chris

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    I have PM'd you.

Chris
    Just curious about what desktop you recommended to the op?

Thank Post
    I've just been pricing some stuff up... Dell desktops with 4GB RAM, Core 2 Duo and a dedicated GFX card come to between 600-700 each (probably cheaper when I get a 'real' price from our reseller). I can build a similar spec PC for 300-400, but then there's the time involved with building them and having to RMA each part manually rather than having a whole-PC warranty.

I'd like a PC with a dedicated GFX card for IT suites as they want to do some 3D work, can anyone recommend a cost-effective option for a whole PC?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RTFM View Post
    Just curious about what desktop you recommended to the op?
    Ha ha someone curious about me hey.......makes a change! I recommended the Lenovo all in ones as they are a really good price at the minute or to go down the build route in our case this would be Zoostorm. The Dells are very good machines but this is refelcted in the price and likewise the same is true of the HP 8000 Elite with the specific HP monitor that mounts directly onto the base to make an all in one style machine. Although the HP 8000 does come with a 3 year warranty already included which is not bad at all. We sell a lot of all of the above into education but the Lenovos are proving very popular at the moment to be honest.

Hope it helps RTFM and thanks for asking!

Chris

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    We sell a lot of all of the above into education but the Lenovos are proving very popular at the moment to be honest.
    Any particular Lenovo model you'd recommend for a basic desktop PC and an IT Suite w/GFX card PC for those unfamiliar with Lenovo models?

Cheers,
    Chris

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Any particular Lenovo model you'd recommend for a basic desktop PC and an IT Suite w/GFX card PC for those unfamiliar with Lenovo models?
    Hello Chris,

I certainly can and my apologies I wasn't a little clearer in the first place.

Firstly, I must state that some of these models would only apply to schools and colleges who have a Microsoft EES Licensing Agreement in place. The reason being, some the Lenovo All in Ones come with Windows 7 Home Premium. The Lenovo All in One A130, A700 and B500 all come with Windows 7 Home Premium as the Operating System with the B500 being the highest spec with this OS. Lenovo also have two All in One models that come with Windows 7 Professional and they are the A70z and the M90z with the M90z being the higher spec'd model with this OS. These have all been very popular so far with our educational customers this year. I think this is mainly due to the price and the preferred All in One style that seems to be the case in the educational IT sector at the moment.

Chris

10. Thanks to CPLTD from:

Duke (2nd June 2011)

Thank Post
    In the process of refurbishing our oldest suite and have just purchased some Stone D200 All-In-Ones, coming in about 475 with i3 processor and 3GB of RAM, and 18.5" screens on them. They sent out an evaluation unit which built first time onto our CC3 network using Stone's DDU and the unit in general seemed very good quality. 5 year on-site warranty as well.

Will certainly be a step up from the 9-year-old RM 2000s that were in the room until the end of last week. 1.7GHz Celerons with 512MB of RAM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We too are currently looking at some new desktops and I also have also spec'd them with dedicated GFX for use with things like Photoshop, Game Maker, etc. However, don't forget the new breed of i3 and i5 chips have dedicated GPUs on them now which make some of the lower end GFX card look quite poor. We're testing a Stone based i3 machine at the moment.

Pete

Thank Post
    Pictures for those of you that are interested in how we build our PCs and put them behind false back desks.

The next batch will be on boards about a 3rd of the size as the ITX motherboards we're going to be using are only 6.75" x 6.75" and solid state drives can basically dangle anywhere

Hopefully these give you some idea as to how we do it, been doing it this way for abotu 4 years now and it works out LOADS cheaper. It does take time but building one of these is far quicker than building a PC in a case, we built and imaged 165 of these in the space of 2 weeks a few years ago, and that was using ghostcast, chop off a few days now we're using WDS!

This particular example doesn't have fan hols + grills as it's only 4 PCs in one row, but on rows of 10 etc in tightly packed ICT rooms we have 3 fans per false back with a grill infront.

Also i think the G620T (35w) 4GB ram, 40GB SSD + Corsair PSU comes in at 120-130 per pc. In this picture are E5400s 2GB ram and el-cheapo PSUs
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. 2 Thanks to mrbios:

flyinghaggis (2nd June 2011), PeterW (1st June 2011)

Thank Post
    Great idea there mrbios and something i will be looking into for my sites.

Also i think the G620T (35w) 4GB ram, 40GB SSD + Corsair PSU comes in at 120-130 per pc
    Would also be interested in where you are sourcing these sounds too cheap!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_T View Post
    Great idea there mrbios and something i will be looking into for my sites.

Would also be interested in where you are sourcing these sounds too cheap!
    Ah sorry just noticed that was cpu/motherboard/memory price (i was looking at the bundle price )

120-130 for motherboard processor and ram
    57 SSD
    25 PSU

Still a bargain though

Just replaced a classroom of 19" 4:3 TFTs with 31 BenQ G2220HDBL 22" 16:9 TFTs for 85 each too.

Thank Post
    Very nice mrbios, you need some of these though
    Ekit Mdhek Multi Desk Hub With 3 Usb Ports, Audio Ports and Card Readers: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

(not sure about getting CE approval though)
    Last edited by PeterW; 1st June 2011 at 07:14 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast