+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Is a new Sims server needed? in Technical; Because of Capita dictating the end of server 2003 next year I'm going to need to come up with a ...
    Thank Post

Is a new Sims server needed?

Because of Capita dictating the end of server 2003 next year I'm going to need to come up with a plan to migrate Sims over to a new OS. The current server is a Dell PowerEdge 2900 dual E5410 2.33Ghz 4GB memory running 2003. This is the only server and also runs Exchange 2003 and everything else you would expect in a primary school.

I'm sure with just a memory upgrade this hardware would run server 2008r2 fine but I donít fancy wiping it and installing everything in the time frame I have especially if Exchange 2010 was installed.

So what I'm thinking of is an additional server just for Sims and keep the Dell server as it is for now. Am I going down the right road with this? What hardware would the new Sims server need to be with 5 Sims workstations?

Thank Post
    And if you hose the server whilst doing the upgrade that's the end of your domain, userfiles, email, sims, everything. Give yourself a break - buy another server.

Thank Post
    I would certainly split - if only because it's your only server. There'll be a fair load of data on that machine, though its specs should be up to it with more RAM.

Having OS independence between SIMS and the domain should make things much simpler - when one or the other requires upgrading (say going to S2k8 R2 for Windows 7 clients, or S2k8 for SIMS which'll be required soon) you only have to work on that part. It's a massive job otherwise, and you may have to do it much more frequently with just one server.

There's also the potential for VMs with a new server. I wouldn't change your existing box, but a new server could run several VMs for splitting roles.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    When I was in a Primary School looking at replacing the SIMS server I found Capita extremely helpful. Their quote in the end actually came in at under what Dell were quoting direct!

Before I was made redundant in that post recently Capita arranged for one of their top server installers to come in and look the system over - he then came up with recommendations for the way forward.

I was embarrassed about having arranged the visit to find that shortly afterward other plans were already in train for the forward momentum of ICT.

Worth talking to Capita would be my suggestion as they do have a spec they recommend.

Thank Post
    Have you got a date when support for server 2003 ends?

Thank Post
    Take a look at Capita's documents on the processes involved in migrating to a new server. There is pages and pages of it but it is essential reading if you want your clients to find the new server and database without any additional configuration (although with only 5 I would think it probably just as easy to point them to the new server manually)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cromertech View Post
    Take a look at Capita's documents on the processes involved in migrating to a new server. [..]
    Are they on support.net

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    Have you got a date when support for server 2003 ends?
    Summer 2012

Thank Post
    Ok thanks guys. I've quickly speced up a Dell server just to test the water and so far I've got:

Dell PowerEdge T310, 1 Xeon X3430 2.4 Ghz, 8GB memory, Perc H700 controller,2 X 300GB SAS HD's in raid 1, DVD.

That comes to £1400. Do you think I've over speced at all as I wasn't expecting that much?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jobos View Post
    So what I'm thinking of is an additional server just for Sims and keep the Dell server as it is for now.
    I'd simply buy a new server to be split up into virtual machines - domain controller, SIMS server, apps server, printer server. The machine you specified above should be capable of that but might want dual processors and more RAM if you can afford it. You can cheat and fit your own harddrives afterwards - I think your Dell garuntee wil still be valid, although they obviously won't garuntee the harddrives. Migrate all the functions from your current server, shove it full of 2TB harddrives and use it for file backups.

11. Thanks to dhicks from:

speckytecky (14th May 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread