+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Hardware Fault Survey in Technical; One question that come up from time to time on the forums is what model of laptop / desktop / ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 728 Posts

Hardware Fault Survey

One question that come up from time to time on the forums is what model of laptop / desktop / a another piece of hardware shall I buy.

Now for me, and most likely many others, reliability is a big priority, but which hardware is the most reliable? I propose we try and find out by sharing our details of failed hardware so that we, as a community , can put together a list of the highest and lowest ranking quality equipment, the EduGeek Power Survey if you will.

Now I know some members will already have a record of what hardware has failed and when, and this will be a great start. Anyone who wishes to share this can PM the details. For other members I propose that when hardware fails that the details are posted on this thread or PM'ed to me and then they can be added to the survey.

Please post details in the following format:

Item[Laptop/Netbook/Desktop/Tablet/IWB],Date Purchased[MM/YYYY],Manufacture,Model,Serial Number[Only Last 3 Characters],Fault,In Warranty[YES/NO]

Example:
    Laptop,03/07,Dell,D600,34J,Dead LCD,No

For projectors use the following

Projector, Date Purchased[MM/YYYY],Manufacture,Model,Serial Number[Only Last 3 Characters],Lamp Hours[Using Current Bulb],Fault,In Warranty[YES/NO]

Example
    Projector,03/07,NEC,NP200,G32,1531,Green Stain,Yes

The reason for including part of the serial number is help keep the results genuine.

The plan would be to gather some initial data over the next few months and then publish the results. Then in the future publish updated results on a regular basis.

What do people think? Good idea?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 728 Posts
    Not a good idea then?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SYSMAN_MK View Post
    Not a good idea then?
    Everything just works as we buy HP now The Generic Random carp from the local places don't count as they are too "special" and not that useful for oyu

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts
    Don't have the time to process all that info I'm afraid. I know what failed and when but I don't keep such detailed info.
    TBH I buy my desktops from a local company so the data wouldn't be of much use to you.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread