+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, UPS - Replace batteries or buy new UPS? in Technical; Our current UPS is elderly and can no longer handle the load on it, or rather the batteries appear to ...
    Thank Post

UPS - Replace batteries or buy new UPS?

Our current UPS is elderly and can no longer handle the load on it, or rather the batteries appear to be shot (runtime remaining of 10 minutes on a 17% load). What are the relative merits of getting a whole new unit versus just replacing the batteries? I've priced it up, and an equivalent unit is roughly twice the price of new batteries.

Thank Post
    How old's the UPS? What type of UPS ( Offline, Line-Interactive Online ) If it's not ancient ( 10 years + ) and has been reasonably cared for ( I get quite attached to mine - sad I know ) then replacing the batteries is quite straight forward and most battery replacement packs will come with clear instructions.
    If you have frequent power problems and use either offline or line-interactive UPS then you might want to consider a new unit as relay switches have a finite life ( depends on switch )

Advantage: Cheaper. You are also probably familiar with that particular model.
    Disadvantage: Newer models have warranty. New components. Latest UPS technology i.e 0.9pf etc

Once you've changed a UPS battery once you will see it's quite easy ( like re-wiring a plug ).

Ultimately the choice is yours

Hope this helps

Thank Post
    UPS is a bit over 5 years old. I've changed batteries before, so I know what is involved. Not sure what the offline, line-interactive stuff means - if it helps, it is an APC Smart UPS 2200 XLINET. As for how well cared for it is, I wasn't aware that any maintenance of them was required - it has just sat there doing its stuff up until now - was that wrong of me?!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    According to the APC website, this takes RBC11 replacement batteries. It just so happens that I have a set of these for sale that I bought by mistake, and you're very near by! Drop me a PM if you're interested.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,745 Times in 2,319 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    UPS is a bit over 5 years old. I've changed batteries before, so I know what is involved. Not sure what the offline, line-interactive stuff means - if it helps, it is an APC Smart UPS 2200 XLINET. As for how well cared for it is, I wasn't aware that any maintenance of them was required - it has just sat there doing its stuff up until now - was that wrong of me?!
    Should do full battery tests every so often to discharge the batteries and make them last a little longer along with keeping them cool, otherwise no.

If the current UPS can support the load fine then you should be alright but just check the prices of a new unit vs the prices of battery replacement, sometimes there are really good specials that can make a new UPS compareable or cheaper than a batter replacement. If that is the case it is silly not to get a new one with shiny new warrenty etc.

Thank Post
    Change batteries ups go on for forever, its solid state stuff, very little to go wrong.

Thank Post
    @AngryTechnician - how convenient, PM sent!

Thank Post
    A new unit would be roughly twice the price of new batteries (and that is including APC's trade-in offer). APC's web site recommends that I buy a new unit rather than batteries, but that could be nothing more than money-making, hence my question.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread