+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Sod's law, array battery failed in Technical; Reconfigured our old server (4 years old) as 'spare' DC and with copy of data written to every night, it's ...
    Thank Post

Sod's law, array battery failed

Reconfigured our old server (4 years old) as 'spare' DC and with copy of data written to every night, it's now telling me the array battery has failed and cache writing (I think) has been disabled.

Now we really don't have any budget to spare, so will this server still function without the battery being replaced? The array info tells me that expansion, migration and something else I can't remember won't be functioning without the battery.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeap, just yank the battery entirely so it does not get it in its head to rely on it at any point. It will stop you from adding more drives or changing the raid level plus will slow it down a little but it will still work. Just make sure to remove it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chrbb View Post
    it's now telling me the array battery has failed and cache writing (I think) has been disabled.
    You mean the battery on your RAID controller has failed? It's probably switched from write-back (newly-written data gets written to cache and marked as "dirty", to be written back to the harddrive in the most efficient order) to write-through (data gets written straight to the harddrive, write operation doesn't return until it has done so) cache mode. You'll get better performance if you switch back to write-back mode. If the machine is on a decent UPS it shouldn't make much difference if the battery is working or not, as long as the UPS can supply enough power to make sure the machine gets shut down properly (i.e. the disk cache gets time to be flushed) - do your RAID controller's BIOS settings have an override mode that will let you set whatever options you tell it?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread