+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Do larger capacity toners actually use up all the toner?? in Technical; Can someone clear this up. Companies sell compatible toners that are larger capacity than standard genuine toners, i'm told they ...

Thank Post

Do larger capacity toners actually use up all the toner??

Can someone clear this up.

Companies sell compatible toners that are larger capacity than standard genuine toners, i'm told they are X version toners.

However ive read about rhe chips on the toner cartridges and in the rpinter that point are that when a certain amount has been reported to report the toner as empty as it is basing it on being a standard sized toner, therefore you end up replacing the toner early and not using the extra capacity you apparently get.

I know you can disable the chips in the printers but then you dont get the reported amount of toner left on each colour or the order/replace reports on the front, you just have to wait until you can visibly see that the toner has run out.

So with the chips NOT being disabled, if you use an X version higher capacity toner will the printer actually use all the toner before reporting it as being empty?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Presumably the chips in the higher capacity toners are programmed to report that they will do say 15,000 prints instead of 7,000 or whatever.

Ben

Thank Post
    In a previous life we used to use recycled toner cartridges, and a couple of times I had to take the chip off one toner to get the toner working on another, so yes, I would possibly say there's "something not quite right"

Thank Post
    If they're HP printers, then there's usually two types of toners available for most B/W printers. 'A' toners which are low capacity and 'X' toners which are high capacity - HP sell both themselves, but most compatibles are high capacity 'X' versions, however they offer no more capacity than the 'X' varients you can buy from HP themselves.

Thank Post
    compatible toners vary wildly, The ones I've used for the last year or two in our 3505's last anywhere between 5k and 7k - the majority last just over 6k

I decided to give one of the many toner companies that keep calling a go around xmas, the compatibles they sold us only lasted 3.5k(ish) each

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread