+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, School Print Solution in Technical; Originally Posted by Big_Ted As some machines can have software running on them (taking advantage of the nice touch screen) ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Ted View Post
    As some machines can have software running on them (taking advantage of the nice touch screen)
    Any idea which ones? What OS do they run, Android or similar?

Thank Post
    depends on the machine - some are Java based others just serve up pages from a web server each copier company does it a different way.

3. Thanks to Big_Ted from:

dhicks (13th April 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Ted View Post
    depends on the machine - some are Java based others just serve up pages from a web server
    Will any let you completly redefine the user interface and job management, letting me send a scanned job off somewhere else (for print accounting purposes) before photocopying it?

Thank Post
    Sorry for pointing out the obvious but here goes..

Identify laser printers which have dual print queues and set them to print mono by default or colour by selection.

Also, provided your printers have Laserjet emulation, you could also "downgrade" the mono driver to something like an "HP Laserjet 4L" or whatever. These printers normally print at 600Dpi or lower so your toner should last a bit longer!

Regards

John

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    From our experience - you won't save much (if any) money simply by changing from many disparate printers to a few MFDs.

Your school SLT will need to buy in to limits and/or charge back to departmental budgets to achieve a behaviour change.
    Must admit when I did the calculation in the past, I would agree that based on what I currently run in terms of printing and cost of consumerables it was cheaper to stick with what I was doing than move onto click schemes. The biggest issue with many click schemes was if you didn't pay a lease / decent amount for the printers the click charges were too high.

Since September we have enforced print restrictions on staff, these have gone down like a lead balloon, however they are part of life now and people are getting on with it and used to it and we were commenting the other day, bar the little 3000 page toners for lasers in SLT Offices, we really have used a lot less toner this year thanks to this.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Will any let you completly redefine the user interface and job management, letting me send a scanned job off somewhere else (for print accounting purposes) before photocopying it?
    Complicated subject - lets not hi-jack the thread you can PM me what you are trying to do in more detail if you like and i will let you know if its possible or just a pipe dream
    Last edited by Big_Ted; 13th April 2011 at 11:01 PM.

8. Thanks to Big_Ted from:

dhicks (15th April 2011)

Thank Post
    Educating the staff is a big issue to, we use to ahve our reports printed by a member of staff on a dekstop printer, it took literally 10 hours to print them!

After a kind word,she now prints them on the big Photocopier instead, costs about 1/10 of the price and took 45 minutes. If that isn't money saved I don't know what is.

Thank Post
    We talk to a lot of IT staff in education, the number 1 cause of printing issues is Staff So far all IT Staff agree that if you could get rid of the teachers you would have an easier life.

Thank Post
    Nice to see good feedback from Pcounter users!

Pcounter is non device specific, with embedded support for Sharp, Toshiba, Xerox, HP, Kyocera, KM and more!!!!

For printer support, it covers nearly all devices, new and old!

Different embedded (i.e. authentication/control on main touch panel) is cost effective if you are in a longer term contract, and is simple to manage - you then get the rules and quota's allowing very specific control of the work being done. All the embedded solutions are diffent in some way, but the core requirement and functionality remains.

This is all very well, but you do need to decide on a pricing structure and the limits per staff/student and enforce them (thus management buy-in required)

Reducing the device count and bringing in MFD's with pull printing (print to 1 queue, release from any device) can be a huge saving (Lower cost per click, green credentials, less support time - single queue to be used, user confirms if job required for a second time...) but failing that, moving high cost jobs to more capable/lower cost devices and instigating student quota's can still lead to large savings.
    Last edited by Ric_; 3rd May 2011 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Iffy promotion

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by David_PCN View Post
    Different embedded (i.e. authentication/control on main touch panel) is cost effective if you are in a longer term contract, and is simple to manage - you then get the rules and quota's allowing very specific control of the work being done. All the embedded solutions are diffent in some way, but the core requirement and functionality remains.
    Is this to do with what I was asking about earlier in the thread, where you'd have a printing device running your own provided application of some sort that provided a nice, consistent user interface? So, for instance, an MFD would be able to run a PCounter application of some sort that handled user authentication in a consistent manner?

Get a trial of the core PCounter, compare us to other by all means!
    How much does PCounter cost per year?

Thank Post
    Yes, the user authenticates in some way on the copier screen itself (AD username/password, PIN, Card, Fingerprint). These are handled via a remote "gateway" on your Pcounter server,
    The view is consistent within the same manufacturer - development and inclusion of functionality is managed subject to the copier firmware but it's our aim to keep the logging in and job release as simple as possible, while keeping the copy/scan screens as the manufacturer intended.

Pcounter is modular but the core packaqe covers any number of devices or users, AD/E-Dir integration, quota's on a user/group/ou basis, rules and full reporting. It also includes departmental accountability, Mac support, user balance notifications and much more!

It's priced per print server, with the cost dependant on type of student
    Last edited by Ric_; 3rd May 2011 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Promotion

14. Thanks to David_PCN from:

dhicks (3rd May 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by David_PCN View Post
    Yes, the user authenticates in some way on the copier screen itself (AD username/password, PIN, Card, Fingerprint). These are handled via a remote "gateway" on your Pcounter server, The view is consistent within the same manufacturer - development and inclusion of functionality is managed subject to the copier firmware but it's our aim to keep the logging in and job release as simple as possible, while keeping the copy/scan screens as the manufacturer intended.
    Is there a standard API that manufacturers conform to, or do you simply have to write different native applications for each manufacturer's firmware? I'd quite like to do away with the standard copy/scan functionality of the average MFD as it tends to have too many options that confuse our users.

Pcounter is modular but the core packaqe covers any number of devices or users, AD/E-Dir integration, quota's on a user/group/ou basis, rules and full reporting. It also includes departmental accountability, Mac support, user balance notifications and much more!
    Thanks, I'll take a look at your website for costs.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is there a standard API that manufacturers conform to, or do you simply have to write different native applications for each manufacturer's firmware? I'd quite like to do away with the standard copy/scan functionality of the average MFD as it tends to have too many options that confuse our users.

Thanks, I'll take a look at your website for costs.
    Usually it is a copier side Java App for each bit of hardware, at least it is for our PaperCut setup which does the same stuff and it totally worth a look. Nice and extencible too.

17. Thanks to SYNACK from:

dhicks (4th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Usually it is a copier side Java App for each bit of hardware, at least it is for our PaperCut setup which does the same stuff and it totally worth a look.
    Ah, I see - so (probably) a different Java application for each printing device? Any idea which manufacturers support Java applications being loaded into firmware? What printers do you have?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ah, I see - so (probably) a different Java application for each printing device? Any idea which manufacturers support Java applications being loaded into firmware? What printers do you have?
    Lots of them support it, mostly the copier level ones, this is only needed for the local release station abilities and copier tracking. We have Ricoh ones at the place that has this implemented and it means that users can even logon to the copiers with their domain credentials and copy using their printing allowance. There is some more about it here:

Embedded Solutions
    http://www.papercut-mf.com/tour/integration/#software
    http://www.papercut-mf.com/tour/integration/

@papercut may be able to answer the questions better as he is one of their developers. @papercut-its is also a sponser.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 4th May 2011 at 09:41 PM.

20. Thanks to SYNACK from:

dhicks (4th May 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast