+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Issue with Stone Machines in Technical; We are seeing an issue with some Stone Machines around 4 years old - out of warranty so Stone will ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Issue with Stone Machines

We are seeing an issue with some Stone Machines around 4 years old - out of warranty so Stone will not send an engineer. WOnder if anyone can help.

We turn the machines on with the power button, two lights come on at the front and then the machine dies.

Stone suggested we open them up, reseat everything, air blast etc, remove USB devices etc. All done but it's a no go.

We tried changing the power supply in one machine with a working one but it still happened (so I guess we can rule out the power supply).

Any ideas what else we can try? It seems to be happening a lot to Stone machines from this 4 year old period.

Gareth

Thank Post
    Firstly, I think the mention of Stone Computers will probably set off the usual "Stone are rubbish" / "Stone are great" discussion, so let me slot my 2p in by saying I don't think this is anything to do with brand, it will be a batch of components at fault if it is occuring en mass.

Do you have any monitoring tools on them? If they are the intel boards do you have the intel util to monitor temp etc?
    My first thought based on a similar experience with legacy machines (which weren't Stone!) is that it may be processor temp related. We solved our issue by getting a decent thermal silver compound and reseating fans - in some of our cases the pc's either had too much paste or not enough!

Going back to Stone... if you were really keen for them to have a hand in resolving the issue I dare say they would action an engineer to visit you on site for a chargable callout and investigate / repair one, but he would then be able to advise you of the problem for you to do repairs from that point on?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Do you have any PCI Cards in them?

We have a few random problems with the pci cards we have in ours (as they where dirt cheap) which causes the same behavior or restarting if its not sitting properly

Thank Post
    We had this exact problem and it turned out to be the power supply causing the fault, you can ask stone for a price for the power supply however it depends if the case in question is end of life or not as some of the sff cases you can no longer get power supplies for.

Also we had some that turned out to be motherboard faults and in the end we just had to scrap these, also we had some faulty power switches that would stick causing it to turn the computer off.

Hope some of this helps.
    Last edited by AndyB4rks; 25th March 2011 at 05:39 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 998 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If swapping the PSU doesn't solve it I can only think it's the mobo having problems with power... unfortunately the only way to really diagnose that is to test absolutely everything else in another working machine and do it via process of elimination. Motherboards are the worst component to diagnose by a fair stretch.

If you have another (working) model with same components, swap in a single component at a time until everything that was in the broken machine has been proven to work in the working machine. Once you've eliminated every other possibility then you'll know it's the motherboard.

Hopefully they're a CPU socket you can still get hold of!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Don't think this will be the case as when it's happened to us there is no apparent life in the machine, but the USB ports on the front aren't damaged and shorting the connection are they?

Like I say when this has happened to us the machine won't power on and the power light on the motherboard is normally flickering.

Thank Post
    That problem is normally a power supply issue but as you say, you've have changed the PSU. Was the new PSU beefy enough do you think?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You can pick up a PCI POST analyzer card fairly cheap, might be worth getting one of those and seeing if you can get a POST error. They're handy to have around anyhow.

9. 4 Thanks to jamesb:

Martin (25th March 2011), sonofsanta (25th March 2011), Steven_Cleaver (11th April 2011), timzim (25th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Leaking or bulging capacitors on the motherboard or a faulty cpu maybe ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by difinity View Post
    Leaking or bulging capacitors on the motherboard or a faulty cpu maybe ?
    Are they intel boards? Didn't intel get a whole load of dodgy capacitors a few years back?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Are they intel boards? Didn't intel get a whole load of dodgy capacitors a few years back?
    I thought that was Dell and a few others, and quite a few years ago? I remember having to drive around with new motherboards to replace all of the blown ones.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    I've seen recentish Gigabyte and Asus board also suffer from this problem, i've also seen the solid capacitors that aren't supposed to leak explode.

Thank Post
    We have had a bad batch of graphics cards on some of our older stone machines that caused odd behaviour with the machines. We had problems from them not booting to booting up completely but no sign of any graphics. Whip the card out and viola it worked fine. May be worth a shot. With these model of machines now we just remove the graphics card as they are out of warranty and use the onboard.

hope this helps

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    You can pick up a PCI POST analyzer card fairly cheap, might be worth getting one of those and seeing if you can get a POST error. They're handy to have around anyhow.
    Oooh, that sounds like a useful device - just found one at eBuyer - Startech PCI Post Diagnostics Test Card!

Cheers,

mb

Thank Post
    I'd put money on it being the BIOS battery.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast