+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Issue with Stone Machines in Technical; We had the same issue on two of ours and replaced the PSU solved it so not sure what it ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We had the same issue on two of ours and replaced the PSU solved it so not sure what it is. Are you getting to POST even?

Thank Post
    Had a simular problem the pins on the USB socket short circuit.On the board I had you can unpluge the USB socket job don.

Thank Post
    Stone - Yep good ole Stone we have hundreds of these - helps to take the lid of hold it upside and shake it lol could be some dust sitting under the board causing a short.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by subjones View Post
    Had a simular problem the pins on the USB socket short circuit.On the board I had you can unpluge the USB socket job don.
    Had that aswell actually, thanks for the reminder! *adds it to problem knowlage database*

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone for the ideas. We've tried everything and now believe it to be the motherboard.

Richard (school technician) has taken everything out - cleaned it up and even reapplied some thermal compound to the processor in case it was the processor heating up.

One of the machines has come back to life and has been up and running for the past two hours. The other machines are showing issues so I'll have a chat with him and report back here for people.

Cheers everyone

Gareth

Thank Post

Question

Hi, I am the IT technician that works with Gareth, he has referred me to this website directly to save us a bit of time, we had 3 PCs displaying exactly the same problem as Gareth described, two of them are now working but with an added issue which looks to be related to the onboard NIC of the intel boards.

To list what ive done so far is fairly extensive as you can see with what follows:-

Ive tested the power supplies with a tester, done all the boot testing, removing any devices such as usb mice, I have removed all components (including the memory, which I have also tested with Memtest86) and reseated them all (including cleaning and redoing the thermal compound on the processors as we were asked to by Stone) and I have thoroughly cleaned out the dust inside the cases and two of them so far have started to work again, though it appears that there is now a different issue with the two machines that are starting up.

The problem that I am seeing now, is that they refuse to cold boot into windows at all with the LAN cable plugged into the machine, if I power the machine on with the network cable inserted into the machine then it will randomly turn the power off at some stage during startup (again not a specific stage to assist me in fault diagnosis, sometimes its just after the BIOS, sometimes its halfway through the windows load screen stage), whereas if I unplug the LAN from the machine and get it to windows xp, then plug the LAN cable back in once xp has loaded, it works fine, I am typing this post on one of the "broken" machines now at the moment, if I restart the machine once it has gotten to the windows stage also, it is then random whether the windows xp will load on it, without the power problem occurring.

I have tested out the patch leads with our cable tester and they passed fine, ive even then swapped the patch cables out and the power cables too as a test and I have gone into the BIOS and disabled things like WakeOnLAN and prevented the machine restarting in the event of any power issue, to see if this would be a remedy for the problem, this has not fixed the issue, it is still evident.

Has anyone ever experienced this problem before with the NIC and a stone machine or would care to suggest any further help ?
    Last edited by rich_tech; 29th March 2011 at 09:09 AM.

Thank Post
    Have you tried removing the motherboard from the case and trying ? I've had weird booting problems before and it turned out to be a loose screw under the motherboard shorting out. Perhaps disable the onboard NIC and fit a PCI card and try that ?

Thank Post
    Ditto - has a stone 2 weeks ago where the onboard NIC was just going crazy. Disabled and stuck a low-profile card in, now fine.

Thank Post
    To close this one off, as far as we can tell, it was a problem relating to the NIC on the intel desktop boards stopping them from starting up with the LAN plugged into the machines, a couple of low profile cards later and we are having no problems with the machines and the shutdown problem has gone.

Thank Post
    Good to hear you found a workaround for the problem.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RBendle View Post
    To close this one off, as far as we can tell, it was a problem relating to the NIC on the intel desktop boards stopping them from starting up with the LAN plugged into the machines, a couple of low profile cards later and we are having no problems with the machines and the shutdown problem has gone.
    Thanks for posting about this, it stopped me thinking I was going loopy.

We're having the same problem with some RM computers - occasionally they won't turn on, take the network cable out and it works! Going to put in network cards to work around it. I was wondering what motherboard is in your Stone computers? Maybe it's the same. I'll find out what ours is.

Thank Post
    The boards in question are all Intel Desktop Boards, I can get you some model numbers if you want when im back at my desk on monday, its happened on the newer boards and older ones, so im guessing its a possible common manufacturing fault or something that develops over time, the machines in question are all a little over 2 years old I believe, though Gareth may correct me, he knows the exact machine ages, it certainly solves the problem fitting a new NIC onto the machines as far as we are concerned.

Thank Post
    Intel Desktop Board - E210882 - thats the Model Number I believe on othe older machines that were seeing the problem with

Thank Post
    Thanks for that, ours is a ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5RD2-TVM/GB/1394, so not the same. Oh well, it's only on 3 of our computers so not a huge problem now I know the workaround.

Thank Post
    To ressurect this thread (not sure if its allowed, but I do need some extra advice on this matter) - I am now seeing a new issue with these intel boards - their the E210882 / DG965MS boards, basically now on some machines, they refuse to start up at all, on plugging the PSU into the machines I can hear an audible but quite low "whining" noise coming from the motherboard, nothing at all boots up with them. I have tried everything as described previously, even unplugging any thing apart from the bare essentials here and rehousing everything on the machines, but they still refuse to start up.

has anyone got any further suggestions on the matter ? or is it just likely that the motherboards here have gone to a better place ?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast