+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Samsung laptops in Technical; Are Samsung any good for laptops? ie. support/warranty-wise as well as the kit itself?...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries

Samsung laptops

Are Samsung any good for laptops? ie. support/warranty-wise as well as the kit itself?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    I've been looking into this with a view to purchasing netbooks. I have spoken to a couple of places semi-local to us and the feedback I received was not good. Apparently Samsung outsource all of their warranty claims and I've heard stories of 6 week turnarounds. I spoke to a sales rep from Samsung and she basically said that all their warranty partners go through a rigorous selection criteria and regular inspections. Feedback from others did not reflect this, and they found it hard to get hold of anyone from Samsung to complain.
    There is also a thread recently on edugeek about continual display problems with one series of netbook.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No idea with support or warranty, because none of ours have ever gone wrong (about 2 years old now). Sturdy bits of kit, decent specs, very happy with them. Even bought a Samsung laptop at home and it's been wonderful.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    I have just bought 33 Samsung netbooks after extensive research here and elsewhere. I got pretty much universal approval of them which is why I went with them. They certainly seem robust so far!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 761 Posts
    My experience with Samsung support is that they are incompetent buck-passers.

There is another sobering thread on Edugeek here about their netbooks.

I would avoid them, personally.

TheLibrarian
    We've had two batches of Samsung R530's (36 in total) - very popular with the staff, very reasonably priced, seems like a decent build quality.

First batch came in just over a year ago.

I don't know which batch these problem laptops were in :-
    One DOA.
    One touchpad went insane.
    One RTB on a memory issue (memory added by reseller was to fault).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think there are very few companies that offer "corporate" levels of support, particularly for laptops. We have very good experiences with HP and Dell but occasionally we have people who just buy $random machine and this almost always causes grief when something goes wrong.

The one company that should really hang its head in shame (if that's not stretching metaphors too far!) is Apple - they just assume that every one of their machines is privately owned and you'll be happy to just wander into an Apple store to get it fixed. the alternative is to get it picked up by Amsys for fixing. that seems fine; the trouble is that you can be without the machine for 2 weeks (!!!!!!) while they fix it which generally doesn't go down well with users who paid a premium for a decent machine and naively assumed they'd get decent servce with it!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    My experience with Samsung support is that they are incompetent buck-passers.

There is another sobering thread on Edugeek here about their netbooks.

I would avoid them, personally.
    shut up shut up shut up shut up. We have 33 and will soon have 49 and there is NOTHING I CAN DO

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We had a batch of Samsung P510s. The machines were OK for the most part but had a couple of weird bugs, the biggest being that we couldn't build them using WDS at gigabit ethernet speeds. We had to use a 10/100 switch instead. We couldn't get any support from Samsung so we went to Stone. They couldn't get any either. We've not bought any more.

If I had my way, I'd always to go Dell for laptops and buy their Latitude line. Their phone support is excellent, the Latitude hardware is generally solid and any that do need service are usually fixed on site the next day. Stone offer this level of service on their own brand laptops too but the quality of the hardware is somewhat variable.
    Last edited by Norphy; 23rd March 2011 at 02:13 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    shut up shut up shut up shut up. We have 33 and will soon have 49 and there is NOTHING I CAN DO
    Sorry. If it's any consolation they didn't listen to me in my last school when I said I didn't like them (although at that point even I didn't know how bad it would get), now they have a 1-1 provision to the entire sixth form and they are sick to death of them.

Thank Post
    Dell give 5 year warranty with next day fix for next to nothing. No brainer.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    Sorry. If it's any consolation they didn't listen to me in my last school when I said I didn't like them (although at that point even I didn't know how bad it would get), now they have a 1-1 provision to the entire sixth form and they are sick to death of them.
    No it isn't any consolation
    I CHOSE THEM....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've decided to stick with HP! Used to their good support, so i'll go with what I know!

Plus, they're gonna give us £150 per old laptop we're trading in.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread