+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Hardware Thread, What laptop do you use at work? in Technical; Dell LAtitude D520 Duo core and 60 gig hard drive and 2 gig ram...
    Thank Post

re: What laptop do you use at work?

Dell LAtitude D520

Duo core and 60 gig hard drive and 2 gig ram

Thank Post

Ive got an unbranded 2Ghz Pentium-M with 1GB RAM and 40GBHD - Sounds good but its crap. Awful build quality and crashes whenever you try and put it into standby.
    I dont really use it to its fullest, as it spends 99% of the time at home on my desk

There are various laptops I use in school though, we have a couple for IT use including my favorite Toshiba Tecra A1 (i think thats what it is)

For switches Ive actually got old laptops permanently stationed in 2 or 3 cabs, and have another one as an emergency one to take if problems are reported.
    New laptops arnt so good for this job as they dont have serial ports!

Thank Post

Wow some good and some not soo good, well i've finally got my upgrade lappy which I was after. It doesnt have a brill gfx adapter which I should imagine would speed it up a bit more especially games coff

Neways its a Dual Core 2 Duo 4MB Cache - 677fsb, 1gb ram (not 2 like macca heh :/ ) but fast HDD the 80gb 7,200 SATAII and the XVGA 15" screen.

Got a good deal from dell for 2 of these btw - priced up at ~£1000 each ex VAT + Delivery, and we got um for £750 plus free delivery (obviously we dunt pay VAT) and free bags.

Fingers crossed it will cope with the amount of work I give it. Cheers

Thank Post

laptop is dell d620 with 2gb ram and Nvidia quadro graphics core2 duo processor and a battery pack to slot in where the cd drive normally goes it is the absolute boss

richard

At the moment I'm using my own Acer Aspire 1642 WLMi. Pentium M 1.7 1 ggb ram and a 100gb hard drive.

Running Vista Ultimate on it after a i spent 1 hour on the phone to Microsoft moving it over from my main home PC.

Thank Post

HP TC1100 Tablet PC with 1.5Gb Ram. Bought to see how useful Tablet PC's might be in school, but as they don't make them anymore, I just use it when I'm working in different rooms.

Thank Post

Dell D820 core2duo 2ghz, 2gb , 512 nvidia quadro, 100gb - just installed vista ultimate but running xp under vpc 2007 - very quick - 1680 X 1050 res - nice.

Thank Post
    I use my own laptop, as the one they offered me when i started was rubbish. They said 'we usually spend £300 on laptops'. So i didnt think i'd bother. Got a PDA phone off them instead which i stopped using after 3 months.

My personal laptop which i never used at home anyway is a Thinkpad Z60M with the memory upgraded to 2Gb. Runs quite well considering its age and its running Vista. .
    I do want a fancyer laptop off them though, but as with most people here, for one that i could replace my workstation with and be portable, i'd need to be VERY well speced, and that leads to nigh on a grand for one, which i doubt the school would cough up to pay.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,671 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by krisd32 View Post
    i don't even have my own dedicated pc i do most my work on the servers them selves though!

Me too! I am typing this on the server as there is nowhere else. All IT suites are almost always used to full capacity so I couldn't go anywhere else if I wanted to.
    A laptop for the tech would be lovely but all I have is a mongrel I made up from dead laptops from both the schools I work in. As they were both written off, it's mine, not the schools.

Thank Post
    Desktop 3.2GHz P4, 1GB RAM
    2x laptops
    Sony Vaio VGN-S5XP-B running XP
    HIgrade R5400 running various linux for data recovery

Thank Post
    Me and the Techs all have a Dell latitude D630 with 4gb of RAM 160Gb HDD, Core 2 Duo 2.2Ghz (T7500). I personally run XP but licenced for Vista Ultimate x64. but until the people I support move over I'll probably stay with XP on this work machine.

As we work in 26 different places we have the docking ststion at our base with 2 x 20" Samsung SyncMaster 205bw.

We also have HTC TYTN II PDA phones

Without this kit it would take us alot longer to respond and resolve any issues in centres.

I'm not suprised to see some techs without kit, in the first school I working in as a tech we had FA and had to book computers in order to get anything done...... nice

Thank Post
    Joined the private sector - own office, complete with shutting door and outside window. Basic Dell Vostro 200 workstation, which is perfectly adequate for anything we've used it for so far, and does have a humungous 22-inch screen that takes up most of the width of my office (hey, it's a small office).

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Used to have one, gave it up for a good desktop but have just bought a HP 2133 mini note for when i go walkies.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
    Me and the Techs all have a Dell latitude D630 with 4gb of RAM 160Gb HDD, Core 2 Duo 2.2Ghz (T7500). I personally run XP but licenced for Vista Ultimate x64. but until the people I support move over I'll probably stay with XP on this work machine.

As we work in 26 different places we have the docking ststion at our base with 2 x 20" Samsung SyncMaster 205bw.

We also have HTC TYTN II PDA phones

Without this kit it would take us alot longer to respond and resolve any issues in centres.

I'm not suprised to see some techs without kit, in the first school I working in as a tech we had FA and had to book computers in order to get anything done...... nice
    You work in a school?

Thank Post
    Macbook Pro, best laptop I have ever used, it's a winner

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast