+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Hardware Thread, What laptop do you use at work? in Technical; Mines is three machines really a dell precision m60 laptop, a dell optiplex 260 desktop and a dell precision 690 ...

Thank Post

re: What laptop do you use at work?

Mines is three machines really a dell precision m60 laptop, a dell optiplex 260 desktop and a dell precision 690 workstation with 16GB of memory mirrored 160GB drives and 2 dual core cpus with an awsome nvidia quadro fx4500 card.

yes i know i like my dells

baz

Thank Post

I use an HP Pavilion 7800 running Vista, with a video capture PCMCIA card. When it's not being used for business, it's a PVR

This laptop is incredibly sweet, and I've not had a single problem with it!

Bill

Cheap New Laptops

Quote Originally Posted by bazuk
    a dell precision 690 workstation with 16GB of memory mirrored 160GB drives and 2 dual core cpus with an awsome nvidia quadro fx4500 card.
    You sure thats upto the task of resetting passwords?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by SYSMAN_MK
    a dell precision 690 workstation with 16GB of memory mirrored 160GB drives and 2 dual core cpus with an awsome nvidia quadro fx4500 card.
    You sure thats upto the task of resetting passwords?
    Only if he doesn't try to run Vista :P (and that's without the whizzy 3D effects!)

Thank Post

I have a Sony Vaio PCG-6N2M running windows Vista

I love it to bits

Best Buy

Thanks

Thank Post

I decided a couple of weeks ago that it was time I upgraded to a sub-100kg laptop (I currently have a HP nc8000).

I have been running Debian Etch for a while now and reckon that I'd like to use it as my main OS on the new one. On my travels I came across www.thinkwiki.org and the resources and info on there are invaluable to aid in the choosing of a new laptop for Linux IMHO... so I had a look into the Lenovo offerings and got 1st Technologies on the case to find me a Lenovo ThinkPad X60s.

I was pleasently surprised when I received a call today and was told that a second-user one has been sourced and should be in next week

UPDATE - Check out http://rmcharlton.blogspot.com/2007/...-thinkpad.html to see how I've been getting on

Thank Post

having got lanview server working, i have got the scheduler working to shutdown pc's at set times thus reducing the leccy bill
    also i have order a few socket timers that office printers will plug into. I will set these to switch off at 6pm and then on at 7am = 11 hours of savings per printer x 20+
    i will be seeing our ict co-ordinator to state what laptops i want for me and the other technician (lenovo's for the portablility side of things)

Thank Post

@projector1: Speak to stuart at 1st Technologies - I believe he has some X40/X41 laptops and tablets coming in too... may as well get them for a bargain price

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts

Mines is three machines really a dell precision m60 laptop, a dell optiplex 260 desktop and a dell precision 690 workstation with 16GB of memory mirrored 160GB drives and 2 dual core cpus with an awsome nvidia quadro fx4500 card.

yes i know i like my dells

baz
    You must work in the independent sector if you can afford that Desktop! Or it fell off the back of a truck

Thank Post

I'm currently the custodian of a Dell Inspiron 8000 that was one of 3 laptops given to the school as part of a compensation deal. It was originally a PIII-650 with 64Mb RAM, 20Gb HDD with a 802.11b PCMCIA card. It's since been upgraded (out of my own pocket as there is never any money available for kit for me - thank god for ebay) to 320Mb RAM, 40Gb HDD and an internal 802.11b,g/a card. Oh, and i'm lucky if I get 3 minutes life out of the battery.

Thank Post

Well, I've just bought an IBM Thinkpad T41 with a gig of RAM in it from ebay for about £250.

I love it. It's only an inch thick and weighs a lot less than my Compaq Presarion R4065EA that's just died on me.

The compaq was what i used to use when i worked in IT Services. That was a good laptop, bit heavy, 2GHz processor and a gig of ram, 100GB HDD. Good machine.

The thinkpad is going to get used for configuring routers and things aswell as just generally getting lugged around to lectures etc. 1.6GHz Pentium 4 Mobile, 1GB Ram, currently 30GB hard drive but it's getting upgraded to a 120GB this week. It's got WiFi etc so is all in all quite a good laptop.

I'm suprised that there was only mention of one thinkpad in this list. I think they are awesome laptops, if not a little expensive.

Thank Post

currently using a toshiba libretto 100 on the networks
    runs slack on command lin
    ('cos i can't get xwindows to work in 800*600)
    and dual boots into win2k

gonna try to build an external battery pack for it
    to get more than 30mins life from it off mains power

Thank Post

I use a Dell GX280 that's got a few upgrades to it, mostly the HDD/RAM and a wireless card. Nothing fancy.

If I have to use a laptop I do have a Dell D620 that the school bought for me but I generally prefer using a D600, no idea why I just like that model!

Amusingly the D600 trounces the D620 on 3Dmark :-P

Thank Post

We have HP Pavilion dv5120eu laptops.

Spec is here: http://www.ciao.co.uk/HP_Pavilion_Dv5120eu__6486785

It came with XP Home, but they were all re-installed with Linux anyway so didn't matter.

Jo

Thank Post

hey fellow techie peeps, my first post in here

i'm currently using my HP NX6125 that i have had for about 18 months or so, its an AMD turion 64 ML40 with a radeon Xpress 200M
    I upgraded it not long after getting it with an additional 6 cell battery so it will work for over 6 hours of use, upgraded the ram to 1.5Gb with 256 thieved by the graphics card and a seagate 100Gb 7200rpm hard drive

its currently functioning as my main workstation as my main workstations PSU fan decided to start spinning once every 5 minutes and has ended up frying, at the very least, the mainboard.

the NX6125 has taken a fair bit of abuse and being lugged around all over the place
    its not the lightest of machines and i often find myself dreaming about a super lightweight viao, but then you have to trade weight, power and costs and i'm not the most patient of people
    it was also a surprisingly affordable unit, if memory serves it was around £700 when we got it with an 80Gb 5400rpm hard drive and 512Mb RAM

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast