+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Print test OK but prints blank out of Word - some users in Technical; We have a Brother HL-5130 and with most users it's fine. Some students / users though I can print the ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Print test OK but prints blank out of Word - some users

We have a Brother HL-5130 and with most users it's fine. Some students / users though I can print the test page OK but even though it sends the page to print out of Word the end result is a blank page. Brother Tech Help suggested ticking the Improve Gray Printing box but to no avail. Apart from that they haven't been able to come up with a solution. Any ideas please?

Thank Post

Re: Print test OK but prints blank out of Word - some users

This is going to sound really patronising so I apologise, but they aren't trying to print white text on a coloured background are they? I have had a teacher bring this problem to me but didn't explain they were using backgrounds and even when I went to look it took a bit to sink in what was happening.

Thank Post

You might want to check that you have got the correct drivers loaded for the printer on each of the computers.

Beyond that, not entirely sure.. but I'd look for commonalities and differences between the working and non-working PC's... everything from drivers, printing preferences, port settings... whether connecting direct or through a printserver, etc...

Probably a case of "hey grandma.. ok, you take the egg and... " but hope it helps..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Hey folks no need to apologise about the fact that maybe there were things I ought to have worked out already! That's what is so fantastic about this forum no matter how daft or simplistic my questions to date have been there is almost always someone out there willing to offer a few words of advice and more often than not if not the exact answer it certainly gets this learner techie pointing in the right direction.

Your advice and the fact I had the great privilege of watching a SIMS installation by a CAPITA engineer (I'm not being patronising when I say that, it really was an experience to watch this guy deftly set up the PC - which incidentally has IE7 installed) today will hopefully aid me toward cracking this particularly irritating problem.

Thank Post

@speckytecky: Have you tried removing the printer driver (using a 'scrubbing' tool if one is available)? Re-adding the printer driver often solves printer problems.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

No sadly none of the suggested remidies worked - I didn't have a scrubbing tool but as this printer is USB connected to my lonley little old Win 2K server and shared from there I ran the disk and reinstalled the driver. Yet again today it played up - with many users absolutley no problems, with others printing out of Word it printed lines but not text, with others today using Excel just ran paper through at print speed but nothing printed to the pages. With all these users if I select the printer from their desktop and print a test page it comes out perfect.

Thank Post

You can find the uninstall tool at http://welcome.solutions.brother.com...=English&dlid=

There's sometimes registry entries and other nasties to be removed you see.

Thank Post

have you tried changing the sort of drive you're using, in other words if you've got a PCL6 driver, try a PCL5 or Postscript driver insted if one's available for that printer. I've had problems with PCL6 drivers before, and installed the PCL5 version instead and it solved the problems. This was an HP1300 printer that was causing me problems.

Hope that helps,

Mike.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread